PDA

View Full Version : Display problem after power on

max.spicer
2005-09-05, 12:42
I'm running the latest version of the trunk, but this problem was here in yesterday's build as well. I've been away for two weeks, so I'm afraid that I don't know when it appeared. When I turn my SB2 on using the power button, the display doesn't show anything until I press another key. My off display state is brightness==0. If I press power, it's as if nothing has happened i.e. the display remains dark. However, if I then press anything, e.g. the left arrow, the display comes to life and the button press is acted upon. My guess is that powering on the SB2 isn't triggering a redraw. Given that noone else seems to have spotted this, I'm also guessing that it's my brightness==0 in the off state that is partially to blame.

You can imagine how many times I just sat there pressing the power button until I twigged what was going on! ;-)

Max

max.spicer
2005-09-05, 12:43
I've filed this as Bug 2079. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2079

Max

max.spicer
2005-09-05, 13:09
Hmm, this seems to have fixed itself, but something's definitely weird. Whilst using the player normally, I pressed Brightness in the now playing screensaver but it didn't do anything. No matter how many times I pressed Brightness, the level remained the same. I paused the track, tried Brightness again, but still nothing. I then pressed on and off as a last ditch, and noticed that this had cured the previous problem. Not quite sure what's going on!

In case it's any use, my current off screen saver is 'none', but I'm fairly certain that I had the display issue before setting it this way - it was previously the rss ticker.

Max

PS I'm double posting to this topic and to the bug. I guess this is a bit silly. Comments?

I'm running the latest version of the trunk, but this problem was here in yesterday's build as well. I've been away for two weeks, so I'm afraid that I don't know when it appeared. When I turn my SB2 on using the power button, the display doesn't show anything until I press another key. My off display state is brightness==0. If I press power, it's as if nothing has happened i.e. the display remains dark. However, if I then press anything, e.g. the left arrow, the display comes to life and the button press is acted upon. My guess is that powering on the SB2 isn't triggering a redraw. Given that noone else seems to have spotted this, I'm also guessing that it's my brightness==0 in the off state that is partially to blame.

You can imagine how many times I just sat there pressing the power button until I twigged what was going on! ;-)

Max

Patrick Dixon
2005-09-06, 00:36
Hmm, this seems to have fixed itselfI've been seeing this too and was just about to post a bug.

I'm on svn, and I also have it set to no screensaver on play and time/date on power off. When I hit power on, it goes to the top level menu (Browse Artist), but at the 'power off' brightness setting. Any key press takes brightness level back to 'normal'.

Triode
2005-09-06, 10:56
Max, Patrick,

I think you are both able to edit the perl - could you try this:

================================================== =================
--- Slim/Player/Player.pm (revision 4178)
+++ Slim/Player/Player.pm (working copy)
@@ -1183,6 +1183,7 @@
$powerOnBrightness = 1;
}
$client->prefSet( "powerOnBrightness", $powerOnBrightness);
+ $client->brightness($powerOnBrightness);

# check if there is a sync group to restore
Slim::Player::Sync::restoreSync($client);

Patrick Dixon
2005-09-06, 14:01
Seems good - thanks!

Triode
2005-09-09, 15:32
More comprehensive solution in svn 4222 - please try.

max.spicer
2005-09-10, 02:46
I'm running 4227 now so will post with any problems. Apologies for my lack of input on this lately. Last week was my first week back after a two week holiday so it's been kind of hectic! Are there still any patches you'd like me to try, or are the fixes now all checked in?

Max

More comprehensive solution in svn 4222 - please try.

dip
2005-09-10, 06:00
I had the same problem today the first time with the 2005/09/09 nightly. First I thought my Squeebox is broken but on the server side I could control it (play, pause, stop). I did not press any other key (I only just found this thread) but put the power plug and reinserted it and after that the display was working again.