PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on requirements for slimserver computer

robinbowes
2005-09-05, 05:43
Hi,

I'm a doing a little market research and would appreciate your opinions by way of answers to the questions below.

1. Are you holding off buying a Squeezebox because you are not sure about setting up a computer to run slimserver?

2. Would you be interested in buying a server pre-configured with slimserver, i.e. all you have to do is plug it in and load up your music files?

3. Would you have any preference over the operating system used on such a server (i.e. Windows, Linux, OSX, etc.) ?

4. Would you be interested in buying a complete turnkey solution comprising everything you need to get up and running, i.e. Squeezebox + router/switch + server?

5. Would you be interested in remote assistance in setting up slimserver?

6. What is your preferred music file format (ie. mp3, flac, wac, wma, aac, etc.) ?

7. How big is your music collection, i.e. how many CDs/downloaded tracks do you have?

Please send replies to robin-slimsurvey at robinbowes dot com

Thanks,

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

DrNic
2005-09-06, 03:22
He he!!
I'm sniffing a marketing ploy here!!
LOL

:)

Robin Bowes
2005-09-06, 03:36
DrNic wrote:
> He he!!
> I'm sniffing a marketing ploy here!!
> LOL

My, what a remarkably sensitive nose you have sir!

Of course my first sentence "I'm doing a little market research..." does
tend to give it away fairly early on!

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

DrNic
2005-09-06, 03:43
Its all that Red Wine I drink you see...!!
Thats why I missed the opening sentence probably!

Good Luck

Nic

audiofi
2005-09-06, 03:54
I do a similar thing as you are considering up here in the North East (www.audiofi.co.uk) only without providing the server (although I will if needed, I don't actively promote it).

Although I can see the market being huge in the future, at the moment things are quiet because people don't understand the technology and the best way around it is to offer a free demo, but obviously this costs money and doesn't guarantee a sale.

It might be worth considering the cheaper alternatives as well. Although the Squeezebox is the best, sometimes people don't have that sort of money to spend (you can always persuade them when demoing)

If you want to ask me anything, drop me an email to andrew at audiofi.co.uk

Andrew