PDA

View Full Version : Security Questions, Public Web Broadcasting

Brendtron
2005-09-04, 18:43
Hello all,

Sorry about the crosspost. I already posted this in "General" then realized it should have been here.

I have some questions about Slimserver security.

I've been looking around for some kind of MP3 jukebox with broadcasting built in for a while now. So far I have found dozens of abandoned Sourceforge projects, and one active project that is at version 0.2. Slimserver for the time being seems to be the best (most certainly the prettiest) web interface for broadcasting I can find.

Slimserver is fine for the home user running behind a firewall, but I'd like to open this up to my friends and perhaps later the public in general.

There are some issues with this.

1. I don't really want to have a service not designed for security from the ground up running on my box. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4, and will run Slimserver in a jail if I end up doing this. It doesn't seem to fun very well as anybody but root on my box right now, which isn't very good... I'll see if I can at least sort that out.

2. I'd like a password for the admin interface, but no password (or a different one) for the stream. I'm no stranger to Perl, so if nobody has any ideas on this one I'll do it myself. Unless I'm missing something... but I didn't see any option to set a separate password for admin/stream. Someone has suggested the plugin "NoSetup", so I'll look at that.

3. Bandwidth. I think I've already found the section that controls the default bitrate for players, which I will set to 128kbps or lower.

4. Does anybody have any suggestions for better broadcasting software with a web interface? I haven't found anything too exciting for Icecast yet, but I will keep looking.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.