PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Interface and other Questions

ebag4
2005-09-02, 07:40
Hello:
I am considering moving to a SB2 for my 2 channel system and possibly having Vinnie Rossi mod it. I am currently using a M-Audio Audiophile USB soundcard and Xlobby as the thin client PPC interface/control (see attachment). I am currently using FooBar 2000 and Kernel Streaming to play my .ape files. I have found a program that will convert the .ape files to FLAC. I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone compared the sound quality of this USB soundcard to the SB2? How do they compare (I realize this is subjective but I would like to hear the thoughts from those that have heard/used both)?
2) Is there a good graphic interface for the PPC to the SB2 Slimserver software? I saw one but I am actually looking for something more album art driven similar to Xlobby.
3) Can I still use Foobar and Kernel Streaming (these are outputting 44.1 and are not upsampled to 48 via Kmixer), or is there a way to do this using another SB2 compliant player?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give, this seems to be a very helpful forum.

Thanks again,
Ed

radish
2005-09-02, 07:56
2) Is there a good graphic interface for the PPC to the SB2 Slimserver software? I saw one but I am actually looking for something more album art driven similar to Xlobby.

Telcanto is the only specific PPC client app, but there are several skins for the web interface designed for lightweight clients like that.

3) Can I still use Foobar and Kernel Streaming (these are outputting 44.1 and are not upsampled to 48 via Kmixer), or is there a way to do this using another SB2 compliant player?

Your computer isn't doing any of the audio output, so neither of those are applicable. The sound is coming out of the SB2....

ebag4
2005-09-02, 08:10
Thanks for the reply Radish. When looking for skins listed on this site I only find one. Is there somewhere I can actually see screenshots of the skins?

Also, can you tell me if the SB2 manipulates the file or will it play 16/44.1 material unaltered?

Thanks,
Ed

radish
2005-09-02, 08:40
Handheld is the most obvious skin to use for a PDA, but I think I've heard of other being used. Better than screenshots, why not download it and try it out?

As for sound quality, well I'm staying out of that one (head over to the audiophile forum if you dare). As far as I'm concerned, with my non-audiophile hat on, it's transparent. If you want to get involved in the discussion about a couple of picoseconds jitter on the spdif output here and there be my guest, but I'm not comparing it to a $5k CD transport.