PDA

View Full Version : Wired SB2 + wireless router = Wireless SB2 ?

idmfan
2005-08-29, 11:08
as the subject says, has anyone tried configuring a wireless router (communicating with an AP, of course) that is physically wired to a 'wired only SB2' to replace the ethernet cable connection?

if so, what are the details of the configuration?

thanks...

radish
2005-08-29, 12:18
You'd need a router that can act as a client, there are some which can do that but it varies on a model by model basis.

idmfan
2005-08-29, 15:19
any other clues as to the configuration? does the AP at the PC have to be configured in any special way? how about the router near the SB2?

radish
2005-08-29, 16:55
Not really. The router will be in client mode, so you'll have to supply it with your SSID, WEP/WPA settings as appropriate. You'll probably want the AP to have a DHCP server enabled, which means you'd need the DHCP server on the router disabled. The AP will need whatever config it normally needs to talk to your regular network.

dean
2005-08-29, 17:12
I'm curious, have you bought your SB2 already or are you trying to save a little and buy a separate router? SB2 is a LOT easier to set up than trying to configure a router this way...

as the subject says, has anyone tried configuring a wireless router (communicating with an AP, of course) that is physically wired to a 'wired only SB2' to replace the ethernet cable connection?

idmfan
2005-08-29, 19:05
thanks for the info, radish...

dean, yes, i've already bought a wired SB2 hence the questions....i'm only asking about all this because routers are going real cheap right now (~$10) and it's my only option to make this wireless on a budget...

Milhouse
2005-08-29, 23:22
I have my wired SB2, TiVo and XBox connecting to a Linksys WRT54GS which is connected in a WDS configuration to a second "gateway" WRT54GS for internet connectivity. Both WRT54GS are running Sveasoft Alchemy 1.0 firmware.

Works like a charm. Wireless clients can join my wireless network by roaming to the nearest WRT54GS.

idmfan
2005-08-30, 08:26
so both my AP and router need to be 'WDS capable' to make this work?

I have my wired SB2, TiVo and XBox connecting to a Linksys WRT54GS which is connected in a WDS configuration to a second "gateway" WRT54GS for internet connectivity. Both WRT54GS are running Sveasoft Alchemy 1.0 firmware.

Works like a charm. Wireless clients can join my wireless network by roaming to the nearest WRT54GS.

Milhouse
2005-08-30, 08:49
so both my AP and router need to be 'WDS capable' to make this work?

Yes... WDS is sort of a wireless standard that allows APs that support WDS to create a bridged network (where they only talk to each other) and/or wireless repeating in which APs communicate both with each other and with wireless stations (at the expense of half the throughput). My Linksys are setup in the latter configuration.

Several APs support the WDS mode - models from different manufacturers should interoperate but from experience I find it's always best to stick with a single manufacturer so that if/when things go wrong you're not fobbed off with one manufacturer blaming the other.

I'm not sure what sort of wireless AP you have been able to find for $10 but if it does WDS then buy 2, it should work and for that kind of price it's worth a punt! :)

radish
2005-08-30, 09:18
You don't need WDS if you can just set the router (or AP) to be a client, like I said, some (few) do support that.

Robin Bowes
2005-08-30, 10:27
radish said the following on 30/08/2005 17:18:
> You don't need WDS if you can just set the router (or AP) to be a
> client, like I said, some (few) do support that.

I believe the WRT54G supports client mode - it certainly does with
Sveasoft firmware.

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

idmfan
2005-08-30, 10:41
this is the ($10)router:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10030385&catid=

my bro has the asante fr1104g which apparently does not do WDS anyway....but perhaps could be setup to work with radish's idea...? here are the details..

http://www.asante.com/downloads/dataSheets/FR1104_G_DS.pdf

thanks again for all your help and comments...

radish
2005-08-30, 11:36
Don't see any mention of client mode there.

Milhouse
2005-08-30, 12:07
I believe the WRT54G supports client mode - it certainly does with
Sveasoft firmware.

It does indeed - only it isn't a fully transparent client as it has trouble routing certain Windows-specific protocols and may require the client to be on a different subnet than the main AP. That's why I haven't bothered with it, and WDS works fine :) Mind you, if it's only for use with streaming audio and video kit this isn't likely to be much of a concern.

Maybe the "Client" mode firmware situation will improve with Sveasoft Talisman but I have to say that Sveasoft is one of the worst "open source" projects I'm aware of - it's a poorly and unprofessionally managed project, sigh, with closed source pretensions. When the firmware works it works great, when it doesn't - tough.

Don't see any mention of client mode there.

I can't find any references to client mode either but I found a few references to the SMC2804WBR which says it now supports WDS:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12718574~mode=flat
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14130822

I also found a post which says there is a v1 and v2:

http://computershopper.com.com/SMC_SMC2804WBR_Barricade_54Mbps_wireless_router/4514-3319_7-21100137.html

Scroll down to the second from bottom review with a date of 31 July 2004:

There are TWO versions. SMC2804WBR v1 and SMC2804WBR v2 . Both are good, but the v2 is better. (ie. v1 has a bug in its firmware upgrade function).

What's the betting this $9.99 router is v1 and can't be upgraded to WDS? :(

If it is v2, or it's v1 and v1 routers can be upgraded to use WDS functionality, then you may well be on to a veritable bargain!! But hurry, offer ends soon! :)

EDIT: Looks like v1 doesn't support wireless repeater/WDS mode. :( See if you can check what version these are before purchasing.

radish
2005-08-30, 12:44
I actually had (have) an SMC2804WBR. It doesn't play well with squeezeboxes (when working as a router). It's currently gathering much dust.

idmfan
2005-08-30, 13:12
ah well that about wraps up cheap-router-for-this-month deal...but now i know what to look for if/when i find something else within budget....really appreciate your time in all this, guys...thanks again...

i might revive this thread if i find something else suitable...