PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on SqueezeBox. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

oldsmobuick
2005-08-28, 14:08
I have tried and tried and tried. I'm finally giving up. As a career tech support professional, I am very sharp when it comes to things computer-related. I can honestly say that SqueezeBox and Slim Server are in NO WAY ready for prime time.

The server takes up 80-90% of my CPU, rendering my 2 GHz mac G5 totally useless anytime i click on an artist, genre, etc. for MINUTES while it freezez the browser and tries to load LOCAL data! I've played with settings and versions now for about 5 months and have never been able to arrive at an acceptable level of performance.

I am using production version software (6.1), not the beta stuff.

I will recommend that my other leading-edge tech friends stay away from squeezebox and I shall return to iTunes/Airport Express. I urge the moderators to leave this message up so that it can serve as a warning to those considering the squeezebox.

-Nick Johnson

seanadams
2005-08-28, 14:13
Nice. Did you try contacting us for help before deciding to get on here and slam the product with your own anecdotal experience which is evidently not the norm?

oldsmobuick
2005-08-28, 14:25
I went through the boards if that's what you mean. A user should NOT NEED to spend time dealing with tech support when using a standard config and release. I think your sarcastic and unapolagetic reply goes a long way in showing the type of attitude Slim has toward its customers.

Take note, people! THIS IS THE CEO who has this attitude! Oh yeah, forgot to mention my Squeezebox was DOA from the factory. I was told to DISASSEMBLE the unit and reposition the circuit board in order to get it working. Does this sound ready for prime time to you?

chris
2005-08-28, 14:33
Tech support was very helpful. just be sure that if you take off the card under the wireless card that you keep track of the bolt, spacer and tiny tiny nut.
-nick

*sigh* ...

radish
2005-08-28, 14:43
I was told to DISASSEMBLE the unit and reposition the circuit board in order to get it working. Does this sound ready for prime time to you?
Not only did you thank Slim for their help at the time (had a patience transplant since then?) but this was simply a helpful suggestion. What happens when your new iMac doesn't work? It's back to Apple for a couple of weeks to get fixed. I'm sure Slim would have happily RMAd the faulty unit if you preferred, but they gave you a solution which would avoid having to be without your unit. That strikes me as excellent service, and something Apple (and others) could learn from.

I urge the moderators to leave this message up so that it can serve as a warning to those considering the squeezebox.
I'm sure they will. One bad comment amongst 1000's of good ones is hardly likely to cause any problems.

I shall return to iTunes/Airport Express
OK. Good luck with that!

I am very sharp when it comes to things computer-related.
Careful you don't cut yourself...

seanadams
2005-08-28, 14:56
I went through the boards if that's what you mean. A user should NOT NEED to spend time dealing with tech support when using a standard config and release. I think your sarcastic and unapolagetic reply goes a long way in showing the type of attitude Slim has toward its customers.

Take note, people! THIS IS THE CEO who has this attitude! Oh yeah, forgot to mention my Squeezebox was DOA from the factory. I was told to DISASSEMBLE the unit and reposition the circuit board in order to get it working. Does this sound ready for prime time to you?

My post was NOT sarcastic. I am seriously suggesting that you ask for help with YOUR system before concluding that there is a general problem. Of course there are situations which will cause Slimserver to bog down. You will notice the same phenomenon if you switch to an application on the Mac that has been inacitve for a few hours while you're using other apps (this is swapping - it's normal and can be reduced by adding RAM). But if you are seeing response time of MINUTES on a regular basis then it's probably something else - it means something specific to your setup needs to be addressed - if you don't want us to fix it then I don't know what else to do. Coming here and slamming the product is not constructive. You have people willing to help here.

dean
2005-08-28, 14:58
On Aug 28, 2005, at 2:08 PM, oldsmobuick wrote:
> The server takes up 80-90% of my CPU, rendering my 2 GHz mac G5
> totally
> useless anytime i click on an artist, genre, etc. for MINUTES while it
> freezez the browser and tries to load LOCAL data! I've played with
> settings and versions now for about 5 months and have never been able
> to arrive at an acceptable level of performance.
Wow, that sounds completely broken.

Can you give some more specific details about the problem so we can
try to reproduce it?

> I am using production version software (6.1), not the beta stuff.

Hm, the only previous related issue I saw that you posted was in the
beta forum about the 6.1 beta...

> I will recommend that my other leading-edge tech friends stay away
> from
> squeezebox and I shall return to iTunes/Airport Express. I urge the
> moderators to leave this message up so that it can serve as a warning
> to those considering the squeezebox.

Don't worry, we don't edit out stuff. We fix it.

cuk0724
2005-08-28, 15:43
The server takes up 80-90% of my CPU, rendering my 2 GHz mac G5 totally useless anytime i click on an artist, genre, etc. for MINUTES while it freezez the browser and tries to load LOCAL data! I've played with settings and versions now for about 5 months and have never been able to arrive at an acceptable level of performance.

I hope you do re-consider and post some more details, so the team can see if they can re-create the fault.

I run Slimeserver on a Linkstation NAS with 64mb of RAM and a processor the size of a pea with no problems what so ever.

oldsmobuick
2005-08-28, 15:51
*sigh* ...

it's passive-aggressive people like you who drove me out of seattle and to NYC. every now and then i get a little reminder like yours that there is a whole country of people who will write something like "*sigh*" instead of saying what they really mean. thank god for this city, the only place in the US where people aren't passive aggressive like you!

now then, allow me to interpret that wise *sigh* of yours, "chris." hell, i feel like i've wasted so much time on fiddling with the squeezebox that another 40 or 50 hours responding to passive-aggressives on the boards is a drop in the bucket.

i imagine if you had really said what you meant it might go a little something like this:

"hey dude, why are you complaining about that. i went to the trouble od STALKING YOU becausee i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to FLAME you in public to feel better about myself and I found that you complimented tech support for helping you out on that issue. See? Here's proof in your OWN WORDS. See how GOD DAMN AWESOME I AM?"

and yes, you're right. tech support was very helpful and the results of your virtual private investigation are that: (wait for it...) i give credit where it's due! and i feel awful for those poor guys on the support line who have to tell people how to DISASSEMBLE their BRAND NEW device and MONKEY with the circuit boards! it's not their fault, it's crappy quality control.

so anyway, i await your reply. let me guess... "whatever." or maybe "loser" or some similar constructive remark.

oldsmobuick
2005-08-28, 15:58
> I am using production version software (6.1), not the beta stuff.

Hm, the only previous related issue I saw that you posted was in the
beta forum about the 6.1 beta...
[color=blue]

yes, i was in the beta boards because i was trying out the beta software in the hopes that it would speed up performance. my take on product like the SB these days is that if they're marketed toward the average user then the average user should be able to figure it out. i don't have time to troubleshoot a production version server. nobody should have to, i'm sure you'd agree.

oldsmobuick
2005-08-28, 16:06
I hope you do re-consider and post some more details, so the team can see if they can re-create the fault.

I run Slimeserver on a Linkstation NAS with 64mb of RAM and a processor the size of a pea with no problems what so ever.

thanks for your (non-flaming) reply. i imagine this is a mac thing. i currently use a brand-new G5 iMac with 512MB RAM and i monitior the CPU activity. PERL and FIREFOX combined take up about 85% of CPU when i am navigating SS 6.1.1

firefox has no other windows or tabs open. nothing else is running in the background that is taking up mopre than 1 or 2% CPU. performance is the same with internet explorer.

JJZolx
2005-08-28, 16:22
thanks for your (non-flaming) reply. i imagine this is a mac thing. i currently use a brand-new G5 iMac with 512MB RAM and i monitior the CPU activity. PERL and FIREFOX combined take up about 85% of CPU when i am navigating SS 6.1.1

firefox has no other windows or tabs open. nothing else is running in the background that is taking up mopre than 1 or 2% CPU. performance is the same with internet explorer.Do you see this slowness with all skins and in all of the browse modes?

Have you tried a different browser?

Is the remote interface also extremely slow?

Have you tried to see what happens with a much smaller library? You might try copying a half dozen of your albums into a different directory, change the music directory under server settings, then have SlimServer rescan the small library (do a 'clear'). See if the response times in the web interface are any better with less than 100 tracks.

cuk0724
2005-08-28, 16:26
thanks for your (non-flaming) reply.

Thats OK, you have a problem, I'm just trying to help.

I wish I could help more, but I have a very limited knowledge of MAC and Slimserver, so I wouldn't know where to start. Hopefully others will be able to if you want to give it another go.

Dave D
2005-08-28, 18:28
it's passive-aggressive people like you who drove me out of seattle and to NYC. every now and then i get a little reminder like yours that there is a whole country of people who will write something like "*sigh*" instead of saying what they really mean. thank god for this city, the only place in the US where people aren't passive aggressive like you!

now then, allow me to interpret that wise *sigh* of yours, "chris." hell, i feel like i've wasted so much time on fiddling with the squeezebox that another 40 or 50 hours responding to passive-aggressives on the boards is a drop in the bucket.

i imagine if you had really said what you meant it might go a little something like this:

"hey dude, why are you complaining about that. i went to the trouble od STALKING YOU becausee i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to FLAME you in public to feel better about myself and I found that you complimented tech support for helping you out on that issue. See? Here's proof in your OWN WORDS. See how GOD DAMN AWESOME I AM?"

and yes, you're right. tech support was very helpful and the results of your virtual private investigation are that: (wait for it...) i give credit where it's due! and i feel awful for those poor guys on the support line who have to tell people how to DISASSEMBLE their BRAND NEW device and MONKEY with the circuit boards! it's not their fault, it's crappy quality control.

so anyway, i await your reply. let me guess... "whatever." or maybe "loser" or some similar constructive remark.

Geez, Nick. The tone of these posts is really bad. I'm really surprised there are nice folks out there who actually still want to help, after the flaming _you've_ done. (See? I'm not at all afraid to say what I think, though I did spend 10 years in New Jersey--now you have some ammo against me--see if I care ;)

Let me say something about quality control, having worked for 16 years in the electronics industry. If I understand the problem correctly, you had a circuit board come unseated in shipping. It happens. Let me tell you how we (in a big company with deep pockets) solve this:

1) We use at least 10 screws per board. I should buy stock in the screw company.

2) We shake the crap out of an assembly while operating it.

3) We pack it in enough material to be able to drop it from any angle at least four feet with no internal damage.

4) We charge $100k for an assembly (no kidding). Hey, somebody has to pay for all that testing.

So Slim Devices had a little pc board connection issue in shipping. It happens. It was a brand new design. They fixed the problem ASAP on future shipments. They told you how to fix the problem yourself, but they do that so you have minimum downtime. Every time I've seen them make this offer they say, "If you are comfortable opening the case." They say to send the unit back for repair if you don't want to fix it yourself. They did the same thing with the headphone noise issue, and that required soldering. They would have fixed it for me at no charge, of course, but it was faster for me to do it. I see this policy as a benefit, not a handicap.

Slim Devices is a small company. I would not expect them to be performing shock and vibration testing on their equipment (for all I know, they did, and it passed). At any rate, you can expect that the cost of that testing would be passed on to you and me.

Hey, they really _are_ trying hard to do the right thing, and that's what it's all about. If you're a New Yorker you know that better than a lot of folks.

By the way, Chris was not "stalking" you. The first thing I did after reading your first post tonight was to check out your previous posts to see what your original problem was and if I had anything to offer to help fix it. There are tons of people here who do that every day, and receive no compensation for it, other than knowing they helped someone out. [Yeah, I know, you didn't like the "sigh." No need to reiterate that.]

One more "by the way," since I've decided to try to be helpful after all. I was using a 6.1 version before I began testing the IR blaster feature, which required 6.2. Guess what? When I was running the 6.1 Slimserver, just clicking through the interface was _very_ slow. It was taking 4-5 seconds every time I moved (for example) from "Home" to "Server Settings" or whatever, and Task Manager showed the CPU was pegged at 100%. I moved to 6.2 and the problem is gone. I'm on a WinXP machine, though.

If you decide not to keep your SB2, you can easily sell it on eBay; they go for very good prices.

That's all. Said my piece. Flame away if you want.

- Dave

frank44
2005-08-28, 20:18
Nice. Did you try contacting us for help before deciding to get on here and slam the product . . . ?

. . . I think your sarcastic and unapolagetic reply goes a long way in showing the type of attitude Slim has toward its customers. . . .

My post was NOT sarcastic. I am seriously suggesting that you ask for help with YOUR system before concluding that there is a general problem. . . .

. . . *sigh*

it's passive-aggressive people like you who drove me out of seattle and to NYC. . . . thank god for this city, the only place in the US where people aren't passive aggressive like you!

First post. Long-time lurker. I guess I'd like to stray from the merits of the debate for just two small details:

The guy's a twit, but he's right on at least a preliminary point: Mr. Adams first replied, "Nice" but meant the opposite. That is sarcasm, and obviously not what you'd hear from a larger, more professional operation. (That Slim Devices allows the amazingly ill-tempered but well-informed kdf to "moderate" this board - whether or not he's technically an employee - is pretty strong proof of the home-brew nature of the company.) On the other hand, the CEO of a larger firm would likely not even bother to respond, much less try to solve the problem himself.

Still, the guy's manifestly a twit -- and not at all typical of the New Yorkers I know. I have no authority to apologize on behalf of my fellow New Yorkers, but, speaking as a third-generation native Manhattanite with children also born and raised here, I will say that he does us, and himself, no favors by bad-mouthing every other city in the United States. (Nor am I convinced that passive-aggressive isn't better than just plain offensive.)

Thanks for allowing the editorial comment.

Frank.

JJZolx
2005-08-28, 20:35
Oh yeah, forgot to mention my Squeezebox was DOA from the factory. I was told to DISASSEMBLE the unit and reposition the circuit board in order to get it working. Does this sound ready for prime time to you?
Apparently you were quite happy the first time you reported your experience.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=42655#post42655

This happened to me too, but the fix worked!

Tech support was very helpful. just be sure that if you take off the card under the wireless card that you keep track of the bolt, spacer and tiny tiny nut.
I'm dying to hear what kind of tech support you do.

kdf
2005-08-28, 21:03
On 28-Aug-05, at 8:18 PM, Frank wrote:
> (That Slim Devices allows the amazingly ill-tempered but
> well-informed kdf to "moderate" this board - whether or not he's
> technically an employee - is pretty strong proof of the home-brew
> nature of the company.)

Just to be correct on facts. I'm not a moderator. The board may apply
that title (not one that I want, btw), but I do not perform any
function of that sort. The forum is not moderated in any way (that I
know of).
-kdf

chris
2005-08-29, 00:35

More along the lines of, 'I wonder why this guy is so upset, let me click on his name and look at his old posts to see if I can help'. 'Doesn't really seem to have tried too much so far, and refuses to call support, hmm'. 'Wonder why he's so angry, and - frankly - a prat'.

Please don't confuse me with your countrymen, I'm not from the US.

Good luck in getting your product fixed. I, for one, won't be helping out this time.

McCol
2005-08-30, 04:57
I dont understand the problem with using tech support.

I bought my squeezebox here in the uk a couple of weeks ago and was having (in my mind!) major problems getting connected to my laptop and wireless connection.

One phone call later to the states and my problem was fixed, very helpful chap on the phone was very patient with my lack of knowledge of dns numbers etc.

Turns out it was a problem with my belkin router but chap at slimdevices was able to get me up and running within 15mins.

jazzfan
2005-08-30, 20:17
I don't know about this guy, but if anyone is reading this and considering a SqueezeBox I can tell you my experience with Slim Devices has been very positive.

I would fall into a the "critical audiophile" kind of buyer. I contacted them when I felt I had an issue with the display on my unit. Although rare, and hard to duplicate, they simply gave me an RMA and agreed to ship the unit back to me using the same shipping method I used to send it to them. Second day there, 1 day repair time, second day back to me. And on the 6th day there was music. :)

The unit has been replaced and works wonderful. My earlier unit worked great also except a odd display issue that could have even been introduced by me performing "free" firmware updates - who knows...

The SqueezeBox 2 I have is a valued addition to my audio system and I would suggest that you don't consider this post as a valid unit of measurement for the Squeezebox 2 performance or Slim Devices as a company.

Milhouse
2005-08-31, 00:15
I have tried and tried and tried. I'm finally giving up. As a career tech support professional, I am very sharp when it comes to things computer-related. I can honestly say that SqueezeBox and Slim Server are in NO WAY ready for prime time.

I will recommend that my other leading-edge tech friends stay away from squeezebox and I shall return to iTunes/Airport Express.

This is a wind up surely?

If you were a "career tech support professional" I very much doubt you would be ranting and raving the way you are - you would be the first to realise that treating support staff (in this case the forum as contacting Slim support seems to be too much of an inconvenience for you) is the best way to get results.

You say you're "very sharp when it comes to things computer-related" - well, someone better tell Steve Jobs that one of his foolproof computers wasn't proof enough for our Nick...

Man, this thread makes me ashamed to think Nick might be a "computer professional". Dude, you come across as a complete and utter clown, it's no wonder you can't figure out how to work a Mac for crying out loud - why not get one of your "leading-edge" tech friends to sort out your (most likely) broken Mac? God help the world if you ever progress to something complicated like a PC/Windows, or Linux.

If you'd have asked nicely everyone here would have helped you, but now? Go away, stop being a jerk. Buy a Roku. Or a Netgear. Be happy.

PS. I urge the moderators to leave this message up so that it can serve as a warning to those considering being an asshole.

abdomen
2005-08-31, 07:22
Milhouse, as a user of these forums, I would prefer if folks don't bite when they see a "wind up" or post they disagree with. Maintaining civility and avoiding personal slights even when offended will keep the S/N ratio and overall usefulness of the forums high.

Apart from getting on my high pony there, I'll chime in to say that I am another of the quiet masses who would highly recommend the squeezebox 2-- I bought it about a month ago, and it has worked flawlessly. It is a terrific addition to my home, and I plan to buy more for other rooms in the future.

tonymuffin
2005-08-31, 08:08
Wow!!! I love the product! There are a few quirks but overall it is terrific! I do have to admit at times SlimServer also peaks my CPU for long periods of time. I am running a 2.2GHZ PC with 1GB of RAM. The hard drive has 80MB of remaining space. When this happens the music still plays just fine however trying to manuver around in SlimServer or doing anything else on the PC for that matter is impossible.

(Edited 09/04/05) This should read 80 plus Gigs of remaining space. Sorry for the confusion)

Jimmerz
2005-09-02, 05:54
Just to second what everyone else is saying. I've had by SB2 wireless for 48 hours now and can't fault it.

I'm running Slimserver on my home server which also hosts a few websites with asp+sql server and also doubles as a PVR. This box only has a Celeron 2.6 with 512 meg of ram. Even when it's recording tv (which hammers the CPU time anyway) there is only a slightly noticeable slowdown in the Squeezebox menus and it still streams audio floorlessly.

Don't believe what you've read here, it was the best money I've spent in a long time and cetrainly doesn't need state of the art hardware to run on.

blah509
2005-09-03, 09:23
I have lurked in the shadows for some time and i have to come to the defense of New Yorkers everywhere. WE ARE NOT ALL LIKE THIS....sigh...

and i really doubt he is "sharp" (who uses that word anyway?)

Oh....i love my SB2!

g

DrNic
2005-09-03, 12:49
Wow!!! I love the product! There are a few quirks but overall it is terrific! I do have to admit at times SlimServer also peaks my CPU for long periods of time. I am running a 2.2GHZ PC with 1GB of RAM. The hard drive has 80MB of remaining space. When this happens the music still plays just fine however trying to manuver around in SlimServer or doing anything else on the PC for that matter is impossible.

Off Topic but thought I'd just see if tonymuffin had already had a suggetion (or thought himself!) of increasing the available disk space to his PC??
Before I built a nice new shiny Shuttle server (half terabyte of space now!!) I was having problems with slow response (but not just isolated to my SB) and the culprit was windows altering the size of its swap file etc..
Now totally ignore this Tony if you don't use windows!! (as I have no idea about Mac/linux use of disk space) But windows _hates_ having chuff all disk space to run in!!

Just trying to help a fellow user!!

PS: Squeezebox is the dogs, and SlimDevices seem to do a sterling job to me.

Nic

John Stimson
2005-09-03, 13:12
The guy's a twit, but he's right on at least a preliminary point: Mr. Adams first replied, "Nice" but meant the opposite. That is sarcasm, and obviously not what you'd hear from a larger, more professional operation.You're right. Instead of "Nice," you'd get "Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. Your concerns and opinions are very important to us."

Do you think that's any more sincere?

tonymuffin
2005-09-03, 20:04
Yup....using a PC with 80 plus Megs of remaining space

(Edited 09/04/05) This should read 80 plus Gigs of remaining space. Sorry for the confusion)

MrC
2005-09-03, 21:26
I do have to admit at times SlimServer also peaks my CPU for long periods of time. I am running a 2.2GHZ PC with 1GB of RAM. The hard drive has 80MB of remaining space. When this happens the music still plays just fine however trying to manuver around in SlimServer or doing anything else on the PC for that matter is impossible.

This is clearly a Windows system. And it seems odd that with a 2.2Ghz system, slim would peg the system. There's something else going on. You should easily be able to handle this. Scanning your music folder can be consumptive, and will be affected by your full disk.

Clean up that hard drive (use disk clean up tools in disk properties, and get rid of what you can), and defragment it afterwards. With 1G RAM, you're probably not swapping much, if at all, but if you do and your page file is fragmented, with a slow disk, you'll be waiting constantly for the system. There's probably little need to increase your page file size, and if you do set it to a fixed size when fragmentation is high, you'll gain nothing, in fact performance will degrade. You must have free at least as much disk space as you'd reserve for the page file (and actually a lot more). But what you can do, if the pagefile itself is fragmented, is disable the page file altogether while you are defragmenting. With 1G of RAM, you'll have no trouble running w/o the page file while defragging. After you defrag, you can and should re-enable the page file.

tonymuffin
2005-09-04, 07:35
Me badddddd!!! That should read 80 plus GB (not MB) of remaining disk space (sorry for the confusion). Actually, the machine SlimServer is installed on has 2 disks. Disk 1 with the OS etc. is an 80GB disk with 48GB of space remaining. Disk 2 is a 200GB disk with over 80GB of space remaining. Disk 2 is where all my music folder/files are stored.