PDA

View Full Version : Audrey and Handheld Skin - help?

talaray
2005-08-28, 11:47
I have Slimserver running on my server in the basement, and I'm using a couple of Audreys in the house to control it, using Audrey's web browser, and the skins included with Slimserver. I used Slimserver 5.4 successfully in the past - the Handheld skin is perfect for the Audrey display. I just upgraded to Slimserver 6.1 to take advantage of some of the new features, and I'm finding that the Handheld skin displays just fine, but many of the buttons don't work. For instance, when I'm on the "status" page, and press "pause", I get an error - "unknown error - 403 - cannot access <URL containing "status.html">. I get similar errors when I try any of the buttons on the "playlist.html" page.

Curiously enough, the "default" skin seems to work ok - all the buttons do what they're supposed to. Unfortunately the layout of the default skin makes it inappropriate for use on an Audrey touchscreen.

So - On an Audrey, in Slimserver 6.1, the default skin works, but the handheld doesn't. In 5.4, the handheld works fine. All three configurations work ok in Firefox on Windows XP.

Did anything change in the handheld skin from 5.4 to 6.1 that would affect functionality in this way? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide! My family is anxious for me to bring them back into the 21st century :)

mherger
2005-08-28, 12:06
> I have Slimserver running on my server in the basement, and I'm using a
> couple of Audreys in the house to control it, using Audrey's web

Could you please tell me what an Audrey is?!?

> browser, and the skins included with Slimserver. I used Slimserver 5.4
> successfully in the past - the Handheld skin is perfect for the Audrey
> display. I just upgraded to Slimserver 6.1 to take advantage of some of
> the new features, and I'm finding that the Handheld skin displays just
> fine, but many of the buttons don't work. For instance, when I'm on the
> "status" page, and press "pause", I get an error - "unknown error - 403
> - cannot access <URL containing "status.html">. I get similar errors
> when I try any of the buttons on the "playlist.html" page.

Do you have some kind of cache in your browser? If yes, flush them. I
guess you're getting a cached page which contains now obsolete links.

> Curiously enough, the "default" skin seems to work ok - all the buttons
> do what they're supposed to. Unfortunately the layout of the default
> skin makes it inappropriate for use on an Audrey touchscreen.

Did you use the default skin before with the Audrey?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

radish
2005-08-28, 12:18
Could you please tell me what an Audrey is?!?

http://www.audreyhacking.com/

mherger
2005-08-28, 12:53
> http://www.audreyhacking.com/

Thanks! Now I know :-)

--

Michael

talaray
2005-08-28, 13:43
Sorry for the confusion - an Audrey is a "internet appliance" that was originally marketed by 3Com for home networking. They were restricted to a proprietary network and had proprietary firmware, and the market never took off, (not surprising, since they were priced at around $399, I believe) so 3Com dropped the product. However, you can still get them on eBay and other places, and an active hacker community has developed (see http://www.audreyhacking.com/). One of the features is the touchscreen and builtin browser, which makes it ideal for home automation applications.

Thanks for the suggestion to flush the cache - I did, but it didn't help.

I went back to Server 5.4 and the default skin seem to work on that version as well. So the only difference seems to be that the handheld skin worked on 5.4, but doesn't work on 6.1.1. Default works on both. Any suggestions appreciated..... TIA!

MrC
2005-08-28, 15:52
I'm always surprised to see this old stuff pop up!

If I recall correctly, the browser was based on something from spyglass - i'm wondering if there are any requirements to use a newer browser and javascript.

Btw. I think audrey supported standard TCP/IP, but 3Com's added-value network and "content" (like AoL, CompuServe, Apple's eWorld etc. ) was proprietary. Their OS was the embedded microkernel-based QNX.

mherger
2005-08-28, 21:26
> Thanks for the suggestion to flush the cache - I did, but it didn't
> help.

And trying to reload the page once you get the error message? Could you
please send the full url that's not displayed?

There were a lot of changes in the skin. But the error message you've
cited "unknown error 403" is very strange. If it wasn't found, this should
return 404. And the skin is rather "low tech". No javascript, css or
frames needed. This did not change in 6.x.

--

Michael

Chris Howard
2005-08-29, 10:14
Sounds like the same problem I had when I upgraded to 6.1

Under Server Settings->Security there is an option for CSRF Protection Level (bottom of the page). Try setting this to "None" to see if the problem goes away.

I could access SlimServer from a PC no problem, but whenever I tried Audrey it failed - changing this setting fixed it. I guess it is down to Audrey's browser being somewhat dated.

Obviously this opens up a small security risk, but if you don't normally access SlimServer from the web (only your private LAN) and you haven't opened up any public access you should be ok.

Bruce Hartley
2005-08-29, 13:46
Sounds like a good reason to dig my Audrey back out of the cupboard !!

talaray
2005-08-29, 14:08
That was the fix; thanks very much! I would never have known to do that, but I turned off the Cross Site Request Forgery protection, and sure enough; it works now. Thanks so much!