PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SlimServMon Widget for Konfabulator

Todd Fields
2005-08-27, 20:45
I installed Konfabulator for the first time (awesome software.)
One of the widgets I wanted to try was the SlimServMon. I have
Konfabulator installed on my main PC which is not the one
running SlimServer, however, I've entered the correct server IP
address in the widget's preferences. I get no dispaly of album
art or title of any kind. When I try to press the controls on
the widget I get the following error message: "XML ERROR:
expected closing br, found closing p". Both my SlimServer PC
and the PC on which I'm running Konfabulator are Windows XP Pro
machines (the SlimServer PC is running SP2 and the Konfabulator
PC is running SP1.)

Is anyone here successfully using this widget? Does anyone have
any idea what my problems might be?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Todd Fields
2005-08-27, 20:51
--- Todd Fields <jtfields91 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

> Is anyone here successfully using this widget? Does anyone
> have
> any idea what my problems might be?

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=36406

It appears the widget has some problems with the latest version
of SlimServer and the author of the program, at least as of
June, was waiting on Konfabulator 2.1 to be released before
posting a new version. 2.1 has been released but I don't know if
the updated widget ever was. Sorry, should have read all that
before posting here.

acebathound
2005-11-03, 16:41
I've made some updates to this widget to work with the 6.x branch and make stability a ton better by not having it hit up the XML file every few seconds. Also got the song status bar that the original author hadn't completed working. Works really well now =)

This is the first I've worked with widgets and I figured if I could help fix something neat it'd be a good start.

Download it here:
http://www.techdose.com/projects/SlimServerMon/

Regards,
Wayne

radish
2005-11-03, 17:09
I've made some updates to this widget to work with the 6.x branch and make stability a ton better by not having it hit up the XML file every few seconds. Also got the song status bar that the original author hadn't completed working. Works really well now =)

This is the first I've worked with widgets and I figured if I could help fix something neat it'd be a good start.

Download it here:
http://www.techdose.com/widgets/SlimServMon.widget

Regards,
Wayne

You beat me to it - I was about to have a go at the same thing :) I downloaded your version and it will connect OK, and I can use play/pause etc, but no artwork or anything else ever appears. Any ideas?

acebathound
2005-11-03, 17:16
radish,

Are you using a MySQL backend by any chance? I'll have to look into this issue.. the album art comes up for me but I'm not using MySQL. I'm not using the direct coverart path found in the XML because for me it was erroring -- not sure if that's because I'm running the unix version of slimserver or what. I'll see if I can figure out what will work across the board =)

-Wayne

acebathound
2005-11-03, 18:06
I just installed the newest version of SlimServer and it appears to have fixed the XML issue I was accounting for. I've just uploaded the fixed version of the widget.. let me know how it works if anyone tries it.

-Wayne

radish,

Are you using a MySQL backend by any chance? I'll have to look into this issue.. the album art comes up for me but I'm not using MySQL. I'm not using the direct coverart path found in the XML because for me it was erroring -- not sure if that's because I'm running the unix version of slimserver or what. I'll see if I can figure out what will work across the board =)

-Wayne

radish
2005-11-03, 19:43
I just installed the newest version of SlimServer and it appears to have fixed the XML issue I was accounting for. I've just uploaded the fixed version of the widget.. let me know how it works if anyone tries it.

-Wayne

Just tried it. A couple of things:

I'm not using mySQL - but I am using a player other than "default". This is what was causing some of my problems, there's a typo in the code that constructs the XML URL:

if(preferences.PlayerID.value !="") strFullURL += "&player=" + preferences.PlayerID.value;

The "&player=" is "?player=" in your version which obviously doesn't work :)

So now I have track title and artist, but still no cover art. I grabbed the URL it's looking for and it seems to be correct (if I load it in a browser I get the image) but nothing is showing in the widget. I'll investigate further...

radish
2005-11-03, 19:47
I grabbed the URL it's looking for and it seems to be correct (if I load it in a browser I get the image) but nothing is showing in the widget.
Correction : that was the case with your last version. With the new one the URL is messed up - I guess this is the fix you were referring to! I don't have the latest SLimserver so I'm going to tweak my version here to go back to what you had before.

acebathound
2005-11-03, 20:48
Whoops.. I just fixed the URL issue you mentioned with the "?player" string -- that definitely would have screwed you up if you had entered your Player ID in the configuration. Also added a song time remaining countdown. Think I'll leave it at that unless there's something else big I'm missing in the latest version posted =)

*Update 2* Okay, added some code to account for pause or the hitting pause on the remote. It's not going to be instant cause it's not polling the XML every second (which would be bad), but timing should reset itself after hitting play again or waiting a few seconds after hitting pause.
*Update* Got to work on stopping the time when pause is hit still. Doh.

http://www.techdose.com/projects/SlimServerMon/

Steve Baumgarten
2005-11-05, 15:47
My goodness, that is a nice widget! Simply gorgeous, and I love how it's not just display only (i.e., you can pause or skip to the next track without having to bring up a web browser or use the remote).

In fact, I have Konfabulator installed right now only because of your widget (and OK, some of the other widgets are nice, too -- definitely some cool software).

A couple of tiny comments:

1. The rightmost portion of the rightmost digit in the elapsed time display is slightly truncated; it's especially noticeable with rounded digits like "3". Looks like if the time display were moved to the left by a few pixels, that'd fix it.

2. The update frequency uses a slider, but there's no indication of whether all the way to the left is "0" or "60".

Other than that, it's beautiful, it's functional and it's taken up permanent residence on my desktop.

SBB

acebathound
2005-11-05, 20:53
Steve,

Glad to hear it's working well. I've actually just fixed the original author's code & made some improvements -- so as I mentioned on my site, credits should go to him for, say 95% of it =)

I've fixed the truncating text & added slider labels as you mentioned. New file has been uploaded.

Regards,
Wayne

jinkas
2005-11-17, 13:37
Is there any chance I could get the working version of this e-mailed to me? acebathound has taken it down at the author's request, but I'd like a working version and if the original author isn't going to provide one, then hopefully someone else can get it to me. Thanks!

jesseoneill@yahoo.com

[By working I mean the version that doesn't complain and give me XML errors and that lets me change the player to something other than "Default."]

twynne
2006-01-01, 13:13
Same request - if anybody has a working version of this I'd be really grateful. PM me and I'll forward an email address.

Thanks!!

Tom

twynne
2006-01-02, 08:49
Just thinking more on this... I can't see how the original developer can claim any exclusive rights to a module that works within an open source framework (Yahoo/Konfabulator) and speaks to an open source server. As it would appear he has abandoned the project, could it not be released under a different name? Surely a huge number of the widgets available for Yahoo/Konfabulator are just revisions on one that had previously been released.

Any thoughts?

acebathound
2006-01-08, 22:10
I gotta say.. I'm just as perplexed by everyone else at the fuss the author made about this widget. He wrote several cease & desist letters to me, claiming he would soon be releasing his update and didn't want multiple versions out there, yet 2 months later he has still not made any progress on getting his software updated & uploaded.

I just checked & he is still actively posting on the Konfabulator forums (username "Jools") so hopefully that means he is still working on his old projects & will have an update out in the near-future.

twynne
2006-01-09, 00:19
It would be great if you're able to get a working version out. Clearly the guy isn't 'actively' working on it. ;-)

I'm only interested in a Windows version so no worries if not working on Mac (though I accept that there are others interested in Mac). If I can help test, PM me.

Cheers,

Tom

acebathound
2006-01-14, 07:16
Just an update for everyone. I have contacted the author of SlimServMon once again and have politely attempted to work something out with being able to release my widget & keep both of us happy. His response was polite as well, but he maintains that he holds rights to his intellectual property & would not take a look at my code as it might indicate I have rights to any part of his code. So unfortunately I am not able to release my version of the widget to anyone because I had previously viewed code to SlimServMon to do the original updates/fixes. I cannot take a chance of this code getting released to anyone & getting in any further disputes with the author & am TRULY sorry to anyone who has waited over 6 months for an update for SlimServMon. I know if I was the author I would not allow that to happen. The SlimServMon author has told me development is still ongoing & the project has not been abandoned.

I would like to make a suggestion: Anyone with *some* level of HTML/JavaScript knowledge code a version of the widget themselves *without* looking at any code in SlimServMon. The SlimServer XML interface is well documented & it's really not a hard application to code from scratch if you have reviewed basic Konfabulator widget tutorials & possibly looked at some sample programs. I'll even send you the control panel graphics that I intended to use in my widget (play, pause, stop & skip buttons). This way the author cannot claim any type of infringement on his software & the community will have something that works & which (hopefully) can be modified by other users openly & without such restricted copyright terms.

Lastly, I have learned from all of this that if I ever get the notion to fix something that someone else has written, it's best to email them first & find out if they would allow you to post modified code & if not you always have the option of writing the application yourself as long as you haven't previously viewed/modified their code.

mellie
2006-01-16, 09:29
I find it amazing that the original author has the idea that "his" widget somehow warrants a strict attitude like that. The widget does a very basic task, nothing complex has to be done and no inventive coding seems to be needed. I might just take this challenge up and start a new version (have not looked at his code at all). Have looked into the SlimServer's XML interfaces and everything seems to be there to code a new widget...

I don't think i will have the time to maintain this code but if i ed up doing this i will make sure everyone is allowed to ;0)

Melle...

twynne
2006-05-29, 07:41
Any updates on this at all? I've checked the Konfabulator gallery and the guy hasn't even posted since January of this year (the last version was January 2005!) Clearly he's not very interested/motivated about updating it.

Also, as I've now switched to Mac, is anyone aware of a widget that works natively in OSX without having to install Yahoo/Konfabulator?

Cheers,

Tom