PDA

View Full Version : IR bug fixes in latest nightly

GregD
2005-08-26, 12:31
I tried this a while back - but I think the IR bugs in SB2 firmware stopped it, with the latest IR fixed firmware (18) I was hopeful that I could have another go.

I have a multi room system (a QED Systemline 4.3) in my house. Basically it's a box with four amps - that hooks up to two speakers and a control panel in each of four rooms.

It controls a Hi Fi system by sending standard IR commands.

I'd like to get this to control the SB2.

If I can track down what IR commands it's sending (these can be configured a little) I'd hoped to just add a few extra commands to the SB2.

Reading what I can find, I'd hoped that setting d_ir would display the IR signals from the Systemline - I can see the Systemline IR blaster talking to the SB2 - but the slimserver only traces the the SB remote commands, not any of the native systemline or other IR signals.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

GregD
2005-08-28, 02:12
Don't know if anyone knows more here.

I was expecting that with the d_ir debug flag turned on - and the latest firmware - any IR commands received by the SB2 with be traced out in the server log.

I've tried multiple remotes - and this doesn't seem to be the case - I only see the SB2 remote traces.

Have I misunderstoodf how this works - or do I need to turn on another switch somewhere?

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-28, 04:22
IIUC the SB2 only responds to SB and, since the fixes, JVC remote commands. So you need to get your Systemline IR blaster talking SB or JVC codes to have any chance.

GregD
2005-08-28, 07:23
If the SB2 only recognises the two sets of IR codes - then that's why I don't see the others.

Something about the discussions about setting up IR configurations and the design or the *.ir files made me think that pretty much any IR code could be used.

If this isn't the case I won't be able to make this work - the Systemline 4.3 can't send JVC codes - and isn't learning - so if I can't adjust the slim server this won't work.

Is there a reason not to trace all the codes freom the SB2?

- Greg

GregD
2005-08-28, 11:39
Looking at some of the archives I'm pretty sure that the slim software was designed to allow extra remotes to be added - I can see some discussions about adding a NAD remote.

I can also seem some details in the 5.1.3 change log to indicate that raw IR codes are 'now' being passed to the server.

I think I need to add a .ir file to the appropriate directory - where the slimserver automatically picks it up. I can see this part working (I add a qed.ir file and see it picked up fine).

The part I can't do is trace out the codes received so I can create the .ir file.

I suspect something is blocking the decoding of unneeded codes - which to get this going I need to turn off.

Am I asking in the wrong place?

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-28, 12:14
You could ask in the 'developers' forum - someone there will know how it works/ is supposed to work.

seanadams
2005-08-28, 15:43
The current firmware understands our remote and also the JVC formats, plus any "NEC" format remote, which is quite a lot of them. Our remote is the same as the NEC format except that the "repeat" signal (button held down) is different. NEC remotes send a separate repeat code, whereas ours repeats the entire 32-bit code identifying the button.

The most common NEC-based remote I can think of is Tivo's remote. It also picks up my Infocus projector's codes.

GregD
2005-08-29, 02:48
Thanks Sean - I switched the Systemline to use Pioneer VCR codes for this channel (default is RC5) - the SB2 sees the Pioneer codes fine - and I now have have the key pads controlling the SB2. I'll post the .ir file when I have it tidy.

I have to say the combination of the open source flexible nature of SlimServer - the community here and SlimDevices fantastic support here makes this one very special device.

Thanks for the help

- Greg

gorstk
2005-08-29, 02:59
seanadams wrote:
> The current firmware understands our remote and also the JVC formats,
> plus any "NEC" format remote, which is quite a lot of them. Our remote
> is the same as the NEC format except that the "repeat" signal (button
> held down) is different. NEC remotes send a separate repeat code,
> whereas ours repeats the entire 32-bit code identifying the button.
>
> The most common NEC-based remote I can think of is Tivo's remote. It
> also picks up my Infocus projector's codes.

Do you think in the future the SB2 will recognise as many (maybe more?)
IR codes as teh SB1?

This is one of the things that is putting me off getting a SB2 at the
moement.

Cheers

seanadams
2005-08-29, 12:50
Do you think in the future the SB2 will recognise as many (maybe more?)
IR codes as teh SB1?

This is one of the things that is putting me off getting a SB2 at the
moement.

Cheers

As of this recent firmware update, sb2 now supports the same code sets as sb1. Yes, we plan to add more - possibly by parsing on the client, or possibly by dumping raw time samples to the server and matching there. This ties into the IR blasting capability which is coming together - more details to come.