PDA

View Full Version : Scanning status, basic server log

JJZolx
2005-08-26, 00:14
I was wondering if it's possible to implement a scanning status display somewhere in the web UI? Say when you refresh a browse page it might display "SlimServer is still scanning your library: 242 albums with 2752 tracks by 135 artists scanned so far". Or maybe it's only displayed on the Server Settings page in the Rescan Music Library section. Doesn't matter, just so you can guage the scanning progress. Most people have a rough idea of the number of albums or tracks in their collection, so it wouldn't have to be presented as "N of M items scanned" to be useful.

I seem to recall that under Browse Artwork, before the change to using the alphapagebar, that it would display something like "1-50 of 121" items, which would give you some indication of the scanning progress.

I think it would also be helpful to see a total scan time displayed somewhere, so that you have an idea of the total time it's going to require the next time. Maybe on the Server Settings page display the time of the most recent scan.

Also, I'm surprised there isn't a basic, high level log kept that can be viewed in the web UI. Something that would log only "major" server events: SlimServer startups (showing version number) and shutdowns, library scans, firmware updates, would be very useful. Maybe also log configuration errors or warnings, like "SQLite database not found - rebuilding". Most casual users have no need or desire to do the detailed logging available through the SlimServer debugging facilities.

Anyone agree/disagree?

kdf
2005-08-26, 01:04
On 26-Aug-05, at 12:14 AM, JJZolx wrote:
>
> Also, I'm surprised there isn't a basic, high level log kept that can
> be viewed in the web UI. Something that would log only "major" server
> events: SlimServer startups (showing version number) and shutdowns,
> library scans, firmware updates, would be very useful. Maybe also log
> configuration errors or warnings, like "SQLite database not found -
> rebuilding". Most casual users have no need or desire to do the
> detailed logging available through the SlimServer debugging
> facilities.
>
> Anyone agree/disagree?
>
d_server is fairly brief, covers startup steps
d_import isn't too bad. shows start and stop of each scanner, and
shows the cache wipes if applicable.

http://serverIP:9000/log.txt is a web page of the log, and that is
linked from the debugging page.

Most users tend to not even need that, so there hasn't been much need
to get into anything else, given the large pile of stuff keeping
everyone pretty busy.

scanning progresss: the "your library contains..." message use to be
displayed all the time at the top. Later on, it was replaced by the
'still scanning..." message. It was too early on in my participation
so I don't know the exact reasons. I think at the time, the count was
going up and beyond reasonable points, then dropping to something not
always close to the real number. This confused people. The counts are
more absolute now. Back then, it was an incrementing counter with
various corrections along the way.

If that was the only reason for the new message to cover it up, I
suppose an argument could be made for bringing that back. In fact, I
think it may even be there already, just that none of the skins use it
if the scan warning exists. I may be wrong on that.
-kdf

MrC
2005-08-26, 10:32
JJZolx, I would also agree that a scanning activity indicator (as detailed as possible, but no more detail than is accurate) is necessary. Feedback is critical in GUIs. The current web UI really isn't very dynamic in nature, and the periodically updated information could use some improvement. Even a "Scanning..." vs. Album/Artist/Song count indicator at the top of the Web UI would be very useful and in my opinion, should be present on at least the standard (default) skin. To me, the default skin should be a Best in Class example, where all the features, especially those that would be standard on any modern app, should be present. What other skins do is inconsequential, as this becomes a matter of user preference.

The server log that gets created via log.txt is virtual - earlier data is overwritten, and there's no way to capture the log after the fact. You have to enable debugging via command line ahead of time to capture. This doesn't seem the best to me. I would prefer that log results always go to a file, regardless of how you started the app (slim.exe vs. command line). And you should be able to change debugging flags dynammically, where updates immediately are reflected in the log output. This is pretty standard in any robust server app.

I would also agree that basic debug and server information should always be present and output to a) the log, and b) an info page via the web UI.

I'm not trying to make more work for people - just adding my 2c for the next time such items are visited, or when someone has a hankerin' to craft some code.