PDA

View Full Version : SB2 Display CD Title & Artist

Deaf Cat
2005-08-24, 10:18
Hiya,

I've had a good play with me nice new SB2 and found how to get the track title and the artist displayed when in "Now Playing" which is cool, as I do have trouble remembering who sings what......

Have not managed to get CD album and Artist displayed when browsing the albums....is this possible?

Look forward to hearing any comments.

Cheers

radish
2005-08-24, 10:56
Hiya,

I've had a good play with me nice new SB2 and found how to get the track title and the artist displayed when in "Now Playing" which is cool, as I do have trouble remembering who sings what......

Have not managed to get CD album and Artist displayed when browsing the albums....is this possible?

Look forward to hearing any comments.

Cheers

There's an option in server settings (I forget exactly where) to display the artist when browsing albums. Be warned though - it gives weird results for compilation albums (displays one of the track artists rather than VA). Hopefully will be fixed with the VA specific work being done now for 6.2.

Deaf Cat
2005-08-24, 11:56
Hiya,

I have just ploughed through the server menus and the SB2 menus nice lot of options some that I am sure I have not seen before! but can't seem to get the album with (artist)to show when browseing.

Mind you, on one of the server options it did do strange things to SB2 and could only get the same display no matter how many left and rights I pressed.......

I am running 6.0.1 slimserver maybe the option I am looking for is on another release?

Cheers

kdf
2005-08-24, 12:07
Quoting Deaf Cat <Deaf.Cat.1ua8hz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hiya,
>
> I have just ploughed through the server menus and the SB2 menus nice
> lot of options some that I am sure I have not seen before! but can't
> seem to get the album with (artist)to show when browseing.

server settings->formatting: Show Artists with Albums, Show Year with Albums

> I am running 6.0.1 slimserver maybe the option I am looking for is on
> another release?

very definitely.

-kdf--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

CavesOfTQLT
2005-08-24, 12:36
What I do is add the artist to the end of the album tag so that you can see whose album it is when browsing.

Quite a few artists have an album called 'Greatest Hits' so when you see:

'Greatest Hits'
'Greatest Hits'
'Greatest Hits'

whilst browsing on the Squeezebox display and nothing else it's not easy to differentiate them.

But I've tagged the artist name on the end of my album titles so I see:

'Greatest Hits [Beatles]'
'Greatest Hits [Elton John]'
'Greatest Hits [Lightning Seeds]'

Doing this also shows whether I'm listening to a track from an artist's own album, or whether it's from a various artists album, e.g.

Whilst playing a track from an artist's own album the SB2 display shows:

'2. Ticket To Ride - Beatles - Greatest Hits [Beatles]'

and whilst playing the same track from a various artists album the display would show:

'4. Ticket To Ride - Beatles - 20 Songs Of The '60s [Various Artists]'.

Anyway it's the way I've being doing it for the past 2 years since I got my first HD-DAP and had the same problem with album/artists.

Deaf Cat
2005-08-24, 13:52
Cheers kdf, I have played with that option but it does not seem to affect SB2's display, only the slimserver on the pc screen.
I was hoping for the SB2 to display when browsing albums the (artist) as well.

Caves - damn good idea I have been puzzling over this for a good while, and what a simple solution, cheers - however quite a lot of editing to do now, may hang on for a bit just incase any more suggestions to see if slimserver can do the business to SB2 turn up, else I will be editing and editing and having a display I like, cheers again.

kdf
2005-08-24, 14:06
Quoting Deaf Cat <Deaf.Cat.1uadto (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Cheers kdf, I have played with that option but it does not seem to
> affect SB2's display, only the slimserver on the pc screen.
> I was hoping for the SB2 to display when browsing albums the (artist)
> as well.

It does just that, at least in the recent 6.2 builds. I'm not sure if this
feature is in 6.1.1 or evenif it made it into the 6.1.2 nightly builds.

-kdf--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

Deaf Cat
2005-08-24, 14:55
Have just updated to the 6.1.1 and it does not seem to do it either.
Will try the 6.1.2 tommorow, not tooo sure about trying the 6.2 as I have enough trouble getting things to work on me pc anyway.

Any rough ideas as to when the 6.2 may be released?

OK so I was going to bed, but thought I would just try 6.1.2 and yes!! the option is there and it works on SB2.......FAB!
But, getting fussy now - on the pc screen - album and artist are, like in bold, and the "by " is faint, which is cool and pleasing to the eye - do you think there is a way to get this bold and faint effect on the SB2 screen, or even just have the artist in brackets - album (artist)

Cheers!