PDA

View Full Version : SB2 went bonkers

kbelinski
2005-08-22, 22:11
I have been using my wireless SB2 for the past few weeks without any problem. For some unknown reasons it decided to go bonkers over the weekend. I managed to recover it. But the same problem has re-occured several times in the last few days. I have no idea when it will happen again.

There were multiple problems. They could be related. I am at a loss of how to tackle them.

(1). It always begin with hissing noise while playing FLAC (like a badly tuned FM radio). This symptom seems to be similar to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=11173

(2). Having observed (1), I executed a reboot by pressing and holding the <Power> button on remote. After the reboot:

(a) MAC address changed resulted in wireless connect failure (mac addr filtering enabled). Disable mac address filtering.
(b) Corrupted SSID. eg. "KBNet" became "KBNev". Re-entered as "KBNet" and attempt connect. The next connecting screen still show as "Connecting KBNev..."!?!? Connect failed...
(c) Corrupted subnetmask. eg. "255.255.255.0" became "253.253.255.0".
(d) Corrupted DNS IP. similar to (c)
(e) SB2 display lost its crispness. Dozens of static lit pixels scattered randomly across the display.

(3) Tried "factory reset" sequence (Add+Poweron) to no avail.

(4). Because the SSID was incorrect and SB2 ignored my manual entry, I had to resort to connecting it using Ethernet cable to recover it.

(5). Immediately upon recovery, I forced a firmware update.

(6). It is interesting to note that when SB2 is recovered and working normally, the SB2 would regain its screen crispness. The static lit pixels disappear.

(7). When things are stable again, I would be able to switch back to wireless mode without any issue.

The SB2 is playing fine now. Like I mentioned, (1) to (7) happened several times in the past few days. Appreciate if someone has similar experience to share.

---

SB2 firmware 15
SlimServer v6.1.1 official release
PC Pentium IV 2.6GHz with 1GB RAM Windows XP SP2

MrC
2005-08-22, 22:16
That avatar makes my head dizzy!

seanadams
2005-08-22, 22:25
Congratulations, this is the most bizarre failure we've ever heard of. I have no idea what would cause it - maybe a bad memory chip or power supply... so strange.

If it happens frequently please contact support@slimdevices.com so we can get it swapped out. Never heard of anything like this and would like to take a look at this one if it ends up coming in for replacement.

kbelinski
2005-08-22, 22:26
That avatar makes my head dizzy!

I knew sombody would complain about it. Sorry. I have now turned that into an ostrich.

kbelinski
2005-08-22, 22:38
If you ask have I done anything special recently before the occurrence. Well, I tried the 6.2 nightly on the same PC (I uninstalled 6.1.1 then installed 6.2). This involves firmware upgrade to 16. The key feature I was looking for in 6.2 was not working correctly so I performed a rollback to 6.1.1. All firmware updates were successful.

The rollback was ok. The SB2 worked fine. I started noticing the weird problem only after the upgrade and downgrade exercise. Have I done anything wrong in the process?

seanadams
2005-08-22, 22:44
I started noticing the weird problem only after the upgrade and downgrade exercise. Have I done anything wrong in the process?

That's a lovely ostrich - BTW they make delicious burgers in case you haven't tried one.

No I don't think the upgrade/downgrade is related - when the software is up/downgraded, the firmware is replaced completely. It sounds like a hardware issue since you mention funky pixels on the display.

kbelinski
2005-08-22, 23:44
SB2 was working fine since last evening. I will continue to monitor and if it happens again I will get in touch with SD support. Thanks for the advice, Sean.

MrC
2005-08-23, 12:54
That's a lovely ostrich - BTW they make delicious burgers in case you haven't tried one.

And one heck of a large omlette.

I knew sombody would complain about it. Sorry. I have now turned that into an ostrich
Oh, no complaint meant at all, nor request to change it. I was thinking along the lines of those cartoon characters, that when they spot something perplexing, their heads spin in circles accompanied by those wonderful cartoon sound effects.

kbelinski
2005-08-24, 05:07
Hi Sean,
It happened again a moment ago. Exactly the same sympton. I am calling support@slimdevices.com for help.

Congratulations, this is the most bizarre failure we've ever heard of. I have no idea what would cause it - maybe a bad memory chip or power supply... so strange.

If it happens frequently please contact support@slimdevices.com so we can get it swapped out. Never heard of anything like this and would like to take a look at this one if it ends up coming in for replacement.

kbelinski
2005-08-24, 05:29
I just found a faster way to recover from this problem. Just unplug from power source and leave idle for 15 minutes. Reconnect power and execute a factory reset. Reconfigure all network parameters and connect... all will be ok.

This problem has occurred no less than 6 times since last weekend. I have written in to SlimSupport to request for a swap out.

kbelinski
2005-08-27, 17:23
Hi Sean, you'got a private message.

Mick Horne
2005-08-28, 02:49
Hi All,

I just upgraded from Slimserver 1 to SLimserver 2. Had no issues at
all with 1 (until the display broke, hence the upgrade), v2 set up
first time on the same wireless network and everything seems fine; the
firmware upgraded first time it started....and I've tried running
Slimserver 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 but I get this problem: Slimserver2 gets
about 3 minutes through the first song then stops. The whole player
seems to hang, the player doesn't respond to the remote and I have to
pull the power out and reconfigure it to get it going again. Happens
every time - anyone come across this before?

Thanks

Mick

kbelinski
2005-08-28, 19:08
Mick, this is what I am seeing on my SB2 as well. The description of your problem is similar to what I described at the top of this thread.

My SB2 has added a few new twists to the problem description I put up earlier. Now it would also stop playback after a few minutes into playing, just like yours.

Were there any funky pixels at the display when problem occurs?

When you reconfigure your SB2 to connect did you notice any invalid values in fields like SSID, IP address, subnetmasks, default gateway, etc.?

kbelinski
2005-09-02, 08:32
This was the first time I had to request for warranty repair internationally. It was particularly worrying considering I am doing it for a product I purchased online, supplied a company located thousands of miles away from home. Too many things can go wrong.

The RMA process turned out to be simple and hassle free. I am particularly happy that SD had gone the extra mile to minimize downtime. As I am writing, the replacement unit is playing and has been playing fine for the past 5 hours. I am still a little paranoid over SB2. My previous defective unit was also working fine until it decided to give up on the 4th week. I hope none of the crazy things would happen to this one. I keep my fingers crossed. Thank you SD.