PDA

View Full Version : 6.2b1 Musicmagic Player Settings for Each Mix

MeSue
2005-08-22, 21:40
Musicmagic Player Settings for Each Mix
You may choose to give each player access to the musicmagic mix settings before generating a mix. Any player-chosen settings wil override the server settings and remain, until they are changed again from the player. If you wish to skip directly to creating a mix, using existing player/server settings only, then choose no.

If I set this to yes, I have no problem getting the mix settings on the player… but after setting those options… how do I then generate and play the mix?

Thanks for adding the Mix Filter option!

Update: I can't seem to generate any MusicMagic Mix in this version either from the Web UI or the player whether this option is set to yes or no.

Yannzola
2005-08-26, 09:16
If I set this to yes, I have no problem getting the mix settings on the player… but after setting those options… how do I then generate and play the mix?

Thanks for adding the Mix Filter option!

Update: I can't seem to generate any MusicMagic Mix in this version either from the Web UI or the player whether this option is set to yes or no.

MeSue,
Did you ever get MusicMagic working? I'm now running 6.2.1 (8-25 nightly) and it works just fine. I had similiar issues until I noticed the new "Use Music Magic: yes/no" dialog at the bottom of the Server Settings screen. For some reason i missed this originally ( I can't remember if it used to live there previously?).

y.

kdf
2005-08-26, 09:24
Quoting Yannzola <Yannzola.1udqfb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> MeSue Wrote:
> > If I set this to yes, I have no problem getting the mix settings on the
> > player… but after setting those options… how do I then generate and
> > play the mix?
> >
> > Thanks for adding the Mix Filter option!
> >
> > Update: I can't seem to generate any MusicMagic Mix in this version
> > either from the Web UI or the player whether this option is set to yes
> > or no.
>
> MeSue,
> Did you ever get MusicMagic working? I'm now running 6.2.1 (8-25
> nightly) and it works just fine. I had similiar issues until I noticed
> the new "Use Music Magic: yes/no" dialog at the bottom of the Server
> Settings screen. For some reason i missed this originally ( I can't
> remember if it used to live there previously?).

It has been there since MusicMagic became an option in slimserver. However, it
is very far down and would require scrolling in some cases.

Dan did a few fixes to album mixing in the last few days, and the ongoing
character support is clearing up most of the rest.

-kdf--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

Yannzola
2005-08-26, 09:48
It has been there since MusicMagic became an option in slimserver. However, it
is very far down and would require scrolling in some cases.
-kdf--

Scrolling? I shouldn't have to scroll... the effort makes my fingers sore, and my head all woozy. Could you move the MusicMagic dialog to the top? Feature request?

;P

y.

kdf
2005-08-26, 10:09
Quoting Yannzola <Yannzola.1udrtb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Scrolling? I shouldn't have to scroll... the effort makes my fingers
> sore, and my head all woozy. Could you move the MusicMagic dialog to
> the top? Feature request?

I tried moving it up with the iTunes one a while back, it got moved back down
becuase the rescan pref is more important.

-k

MeSue
2005-08-26, 10:46
MeSue,
Did you ever get MusicMagic working? I'm now running 6.2.1 (8-25 nightly) and it works just fine.
y.

I installed the 6.2 8/25 nightly last night and could not get MusicMagic to work at all. Well, out of about 10 attempts, I think I got one mix. "Use MusicMagic" is checked and always has been. On top of that, SlimServer kept stopping for no apparent reason with this in the System Event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7034
Date: 8/26/2005
Time: 2:21:32 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SUEXP
Description:
The SlimServer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s).

Note… 5 times… in just a couple hours! Anyway, since I just recently forked out my hard earned dollars on this thing, I would much rather just enjoy it than spend time with all this testing and troubleshooting. The 6.2 beta just isn't working well for me at all, so I reverted back to 6.1.2 this morning.

Yannzola
2005-08-26, 11:59
Sorry about the frustration... been there, myself :)
Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? 6.2 absolutely requires it...

y.

kdf
2005-08-26, 12:13
Quoting Yannzola <Yannzola.1udxtz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Sorry about the frustration... been there, myself :)
> Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? 6.2 absolutely requires it...

Yannzola, if I recall deleting prefs worked for your instabilities with 6.2?
Sue, you may want to try moving slimserver.pref somewhere else if you try 6.2
again. There is a lot of divergence between 6.1.2 and 6.2 now, so the radical
prefs changes combined with the prefs file format change might be unstable. It
hasn't been the focus of late. If 6.1.2 ends up not being an official release,
it is likely that the expected upgrade path is 6.1.1 -> 6.2 (which doesn't mean
6.1.2 -> 6.2 will be ignored, just not as likely to get as much testing)

-kdf

MeSue
2005-08-26, 13:54
Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? 6.2 absolutely requires it...
y.

Sure did!

Sue, you may want to try moving slimserver.pref somewhere else if you try 6.2 again.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind for when I try it again.

San
2005-08-27, 08:13
I've observed that I can get MMM to create playlists for Artists, Albums, Genres but not when I try to seed it from a specific track on the SB2.

Log.txt shows me that I get a message saying something of the form

"2005-08-27 16:01:09.0235 MusicMagic: no valid type specified for mix"

However Track Seeding works if I click on the mm button in the web interface. If I seed MMM from SB2 with say an artist I get an log.txt entries of the form

"2005-08-27 15:51:59.5051 MusicMagic: Creating mix for: artist using: Blah Blah as seed.
2005-08-27 15:51:59.5059 Musicmagic: request http://localhost:10002/api/mix?artist%3DBlah%20Blah&variety=0&style=25&sizetype=tracks&size=20"

Looks to me like the type parameter isn't populated when seeding MMM from a track on an SB2 (note that it appears to work fine from the WEB).

Anyone else observed the same problem?

Yannzola
2005-08-27, 16:54
Sure did!

Thanks. I will keep that in mind for when I try it again.

MeSue,
You should also delete your slimserversql.db file in addition to your prefs . See the end of my old thread here for details: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15904&page=2

MeSue
2005-08-27, 17:36
Thanks. I tried it again today with a clean install of the latest nightly (deleted prefs and db file). It's working better, but…

A) I still can't get a musicmagic mix from a single song on the player. I see San mentioned the same problem.

B) Various artists features seem to conflict with situations where you have 2 or more albums of the same name by different artists. I'm still having to list duplicate album names under "common album titles" and I can't use the various artist grouping if I want these albums to appear correctly.

C) I've gotten "The SlimServer service terminated unexpectedly." system error once already and I've only played about 30 minutes of music since reinstalling.

I assume A will eventually be fixed. I can live with B until it's perfected, but C is a deal-breaker if it keeps happening as frequently as it did before. If there is more information I can provide to help the developers to solve C, let me know what you need.

kdf
2005-08-28, 22:09
On 27-Aug-05, at 8:13 AM, San wrote:

>
> I've observed that I can get MMM to create playlists for Artists,
> Albums, Genres but not when I try to seed it from a specific track on
> the SB2.
>
> Log.txt shows me that I get a message saying something of the form
>
> "2005-08-27 16:01:09.0235 MusicMagic: no valid type specified for mix"
>
This should be fixed in the next nightly build.
thanks!
-kdf

San
2005-08-29, 04:28
Thanks Kdf. This seems to work fine. I've got a query regarding the usability of the MMM facility:

Should I be able to create a mix from the now playing section? If I press and hold the play button I get the message to save the playlist under a user specified name. I kind of feel that I should be able to create a mix from the track shown - one day I hope to be able to program a universal remote so that I can just hit Mix and it'll work it's magic from whatever track is on the screen of the SB2. Or am misunderstanding the behaviour of MMM mix facility?

Thanks
San

kdf
2005-08-29, 08:46
"Now Playing" is a special case mode. Press-and-hold Play, as you know allows for save playlist. The M icon is also not present (indicates a mixable item in browssing). However, what you can do is press right from a given track, then go into album or artist from there. The song you started with will be selected as you go into these browse modes. Then you can press-and-hold PLAY to initiate a mix using that song as a seed.
-kdf

San
2005-08-30, 12:27
Thanks Kdf for your speedy fix and for the clarity of your response.