PDA

View Full Version : Same album title, different artists

MeSue
2005-08-21, 21:58
The other day I was listening to a mix of songs. During one of the songs I decided I wanted to play all the songs from that album. I hit the right arrow to go to track info, scrolled to the album name and hit play. When the next song came up it was something by a different artist. Then I realized I had two albums in my library with the same name, but by different artists (X is an album by INXS and by Def Leppard).

So then I went to Browse Albums and Search Albums, and either way I only get one listing… X by Def Leppard. But when I scroll through the songs from that level, it shows both the Def Leppard songs and the INXS songs.

I went to another of my other music library programs (which are all smart enough to know that albums of the same name but by different artists should be separated) and did a quick scan of album titles. In no time at all, I found more of the same — Unplugged, True Love, Stand Up, Shine — and that is only after skimming from S through Z! All of these are listed as one album in Slimserver.

It is rather puzzling that SlimServer doesn't know these are different albums, when all my other music programs don't have this problem. I assumed that by adding the titles under Server Settings > Behavior > Common Album Titles it would treat them separately, but I have two problems with this:

1) Adding the titles there made no difference for me. Perhaps it requires a rescan? If so, it should say that in the explanation for this option.

2) It should be the default behavior to match albums and artist. There are just too many instances of this, and it should not be put upon the user to find and specify them all.

This is on SlimServer Version: 6.1.2 - 3960 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Unless there is some workaround I'm missing, I'd like to request that this behavior be changed so that album titles by different artists are always grouped separately.

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-22, 00:33
It does require a rescan.

There is already a bug open for this - the complication is (was) that slimserver tries to pickup Various Artist Albums, where Album title is common but Artist isn't.

MeSue
2005-08-22, 09:42
Ok, I guess I'll have to find all the duplicate album titles and put them in the common titles for now. Grrr.

I think I found the bug you mentioned (1378?) and I voted on it. The last comment in that bug says: "Dan: does VA make this better?" Do you know what that means?

kdf
2005-08-22, 09:53
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.1u6cwz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I think I found the bug you mentioned (1378?) and I voted on it. The
> last comment in that bug says: "Dan: does VA make this better?" Do you
> know what that means?

various artists. the recent nightly builds have a number of settings related to
grouping of 'various artists' albums.

-kdf--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

MeSue
2005-08-22, 11:02
That must be in the 6.2 nightlies. I've been sticking with 6.1. I'm not sure how it relates, though, since the issue I described has nothing to do with various artist albums. What is needed is support for the AlbumArtist tag, I think.

Dan Sully
2005-08-22, 11:06
* MeSue shaped the electrons to say...

>That must be in the 6.2 nightlies. I've been sticking with 6.1. I'm not
>sure how it relates, though, since the issue I described has nothing to
>do with various artist albums. What is needed is support for the
>AlbumArtist tag, I think.

6.2beta has support for the ALBUMARTIST tag. What audio file format in particular are you using?

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t

kdf
2005-08-22, 11:07
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.1u6gmb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> That must be in the 6.2 nightlies. I've been sticking with 6.1. I'm not
> sure how it relates, though, since the issue I described has nothing to
> do with various artist albums. What is needed is support for the
> AlbumArtist tag, I think.

they are related. and, yes, it is the 6.2 nightlies.

-k--

MeSue
2005-08-22, 11:07
Does the common album titles setting support wildcards? If so, then I could just put something like * in there to have it match artist and album for everything. Is there a performance reason why artist and album aren't automatically compared for everything?

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-22, 11:09
That must be in the 6.2 nightlies. I've been sticking with 6.1. I'm not sure how it relates, though, since the issue I described has nothing to do with various artist albums. What is needed is support for the AlbumArtist tag, I think.EAC/FLAC doesn't support the AlbumArtist tag either - VA albums can be put in a VA specific directory, but the tags are Album and TrackArtist. I think it actually is quite complicated to cover all the eventualities - but there's really no need to worry about it 'cos Slim are on the case!

MeSue
2005-08-22, 11:14
What audio file format in particular are you using?
Everything is MP3.

Dan Sully
2005-08-22, 11:17
* MeSue shaped the electrons to say...

>Dan Sully Wrote:
>> What audio file format in particular are you using?
>Everything is MP3.

In that case, the TPE2 aka BAND field will be treated as 'ALBUMARTIST'.

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t

MeSue
2005-08-22, 11:56
In that case, the TPE2 aka BAND field will be treated as 'ALBUMARTIST'.

I'm sorry if I seem dense, but… what? I do all my tagging in Music Library. I guess Album Artist is a database field and not a ID3 tag, then.

If I install the 6.2 beta will it treat duplicate album titles by different artists as separate items… or am I going to have to add tags for this TPE2 aka BAND field?

MeSue
2005-08-23, 09:16
>>If I install the 6.2 beta will it treat duplicate album titles by different artists as separate items<<

I didn't get an answer to this yesterday so I just went ahead and tried the beta. The answer is no. So why was 6.2 beta suggested to me? It actually makes things worse than before.

I took the album titles 'X' and 'Stand Up' out of the common titles listing, wiped and rescanned, and they are are still grouped under one album with 6.2. The responses in this thread led me to believe this would not be the case.

I left the album title 'Shine' listed under common album titles and now it is listed 3 times when it only should be 2 albums (by Cyndi Lauper and Daniel Lanois). For some reason the Daniel Lanois album is split up with half the songs under one entry for 'Shine' and half under the another. I've looked at the tags and they are correct.

Also in this 6.2 beta I can no longer generate a MusicMagic mix either from the WebUI or from the player.

kdf
2005-08-23, 10:16
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.1u86fb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> >>If I install the 6.2 beta will it treat duplicate album titles by
> different artists as separate items<<
>
> I didn't get an answer to this yesterday so I just went ahead and tried
> the beta. The answer is no. So why was 6.2 beta suggested to me? It
> actually makes things worse than before.

Becuase there is a LOT of work going into fixing things IN 6.2, as opposed to
6.1.2 which hasn't had the same number of radical changes to get as far as it
has. 6.1.2 is for those who are happy enough with the way their music is
organised and just want the crashers fixed.

> I took the album titles 'X' and 'Stand Up' out of the common titles
> listing, wiped and rescanned, and they are are still grouped under one
> album with 6.2. The responses in this thread led me to believe this
> would not be the case.

It shoudln't be the case. If it is not working, it should be fixed. Pretty much
everyone who is willing/able to work, is working on this.

> Also in this 6.2 beta I can no longer generate a MusicMagic mix either
> from the WebUI or from the player.

The mix is affected by the same issues that cause duplicate entries (most often,
hig-bit encoded characters with an incorrectly guessed encoding).

use d_musicmagic. you will likely works fomr some things and not others. If
so, pease take note of any commonalities that you can pick out.

cheers,
kdf

--

MeSue
2005-08-23, 16:08
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know it's being worked on. By the way, most of the duplicate album names that I left in the common titles section are now listed multiple times for the same artist.

I did the logging of d_musicmagic and the problem only occurs when I have certain filters selected for the mix filter. It works fine for some filters and with other filters I get nothing. Here is what the log shows when it fails:

2005-08-23 18:41:31.5759 MusicMagic: read cacheid of 1124771116
2005-08-23 18:41:31.6166 MusicMagic: got status - idle
2005-08-23 18:41:35.6312 MusicMagic: filter ! No Junk in use.
2005-08-23 18:41:35.6315 Musicmagic: request http://localhost:10002/api/mix?albu
m%3DU2%40%40Achtung%20Baby&variety=9&filter=! No Junk&style=0&sizetype=tracks&si
ze=25
2005-08-23 18:41:35.8385 Musicmagic Error - Couldn't get mix: album%3DU2%40%40Ac
htung%20Baby&variety=9&filter=! No Junk&style=0&sizetype=tracks&size=25

2005-08-23 19:04:59.1247 MusicMagic: filter No Country in use.
2005-08-23 19:04:59.1287 Musicmagic: request http://localhost:10002/api/mix?albu
m%3DChris%20Isaak%40%40Always%20Got%20Tonight&variety=9&filter=No Country&style=
0&sizetype=tracks&size=25
2005-08-23 19:04:59.1550 Musicmagic Error - Couldn't get mix: album%3DChris%20Is
aak%40%40Always%20Got%20Tonight&variety=9&filter=No Country&style=0&sizetype=tra
cks&size=25

2005-08-23 19:06:11.5634 MusicMagic: filter Favorite Genres in use.
2005-08-23 19:06:11.5681 Musicmagic: request http://localhost:10002/api/mix?albu
m%3DEric%20Clapton%40%40Another%20Ticket&variety=9&filter=Favorite Genres&style=
0&sizetype=tracks&size=25
2005-08-23 19:06:11.5734 Musicmagic Error - Couldn't get mix: album%3DEric%20Cla
pton%40%40Another%20Ticket&variety=9&filter=Favorite Genres&style=0&sizetype=tra
cks&size=25

I was going to roll back to 6.1.2, but I now I don't want to give up the mix filters with MusicMagic. What else can I do to help you guys fix the duplicate albums problem?

kdf
2005-08-23, 16:58
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.1u8pen (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Thanks for the reply. It's good to know it's being worked on. By the
> way, most of the duplicate album names that I left in the common titles
> section are now listed multiple times for the same artist.
>
> I did the logging of d_musicmagic and the problem only occurs when I
> have certain filters selected for the mix filter. It works fine for
> some filters and with other filters I get nothing. Here is what the log
> shows when it fails:

Have you tried creating these same mixes in MusicMagicMixer with the same
filters, style, variety, size and type settings? If MusicMagic can't create an
applicable mix, it will report "couldn't get mix" as well as when the seed is
not valid.

> I was going to roll back to 6.1.2, but I now I don't want to give up
> the mix filters with MusicMagic. What else can I do to help you guys
> fix the duplicate albums problem?

Check out the various 'duplicate entry' bugs in bugs.slimdevices.com and see if
any match up with what you see. if not, create a new report. Zip up your
slimserversql.db file, and perhaps also a copy of your slimserver.pref file.
Make sure these are from the very latest 6.2 build and after a rescan, with
clear library checked.

-kdf

--

MeSue
2005-08-23, 17:45
>>Have you tried creating these same mixes in MusicMagicMixer with the same filters, style, variety, size and type settings? If MusicMagic can't create an applicable mix, it will report "couldn't get mix" as well as when the seed is not valid.<<

I just tried it and got a mix just fine in MMM.

>>Check out the various 'duplicate entry' bugs in bugs.slimdevices.com and see if any match up with what you see. if not, create a new report. Zip up your slimserversql.db file, and perhaps also a copy of your slimserver.pref file. Make sure these are from the very latest 6.2 build and after a rescan, with clear library checked.<<

I'll try to do that later this week when I have more time.

MeSue
2005-08-24, 21:30
I downloaded the 8/24 nightly for 6.2. Erased my slimserversql.db file. Installed. After the rescan, the duplicate album names that I HAD listed in "common album titles" seem to be fine, with one exception:

"The Hits" by REO Speedwagon is listed 6 times. This is probably because I listed song year for those that I knew.

The duplicate albums titles that were NOT listed under "common album titles" are still all grouped together. Examples:

"X by Various Artists" shows one album by INXS and one by Def Leppard, all mixed together.
"Stand Up" shows three albums all mixed together — one by Dave Matthews Band, one by Jethro Tull, and one by The Del Fuegos.

Note that on once case the Album shows "Various Artists" and in the other, no artist is shown in the Album list.

This goes back to my original message #1, for which there is already a bug report (1378). Do you want another bug report filed since this is still happening in 6.2? Do you still want me to upload my slimserversql.db? That might be difficult because I'm dialup and it's over 11MB, but I can queue it up before I go to bed some night if it will be helpful.

Ben Sandee
2005-08-25, 08:20
On 8/24/05, MeSue <MeSue.1uaz4b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> This goes back to my original message #1, for which there is already a
> bug report (1378). Do you want another bug report filed since this is
> still happening in 6.2? Do you still want me to upload my
> slimserversql.db? That might be difficult because I'm dialup and it's
> over 11MB, but I can queue it up before I go to bed some night if it
> will be helpful.

If you do end up uploading the db file, zip it up first. These db
files compress very well so it should become ~2mb or so after
compression.