PDA

View Full Version : Tagging classical music

luuk
2005-08-21, 05:37
I am using EAC to rip my classical albums and convert them to Flac. Since the tags are rarely useful I shall have to do a lot of retagging myself and I am wondering how useful and standard some of the Vorbis tags are that Media Tagger uses (only program I found that can handle Flac tagging).

Will Slimserver recognise such a tag as "Composer" or can it be made to recognise such a tag? If so, how do I go about that?

Luuk

Robin Bowes
2005-08-21, 13:55
luuk wrote:
> I am using EAC to rip my classical albums and convert them to Flac.
> Since the tags are rarely useful I shall have to do a lot of retagging
> myself and I am wondering how useful and standard some of the Vorbis
> tags are that Media Tagger uses (only program I found that can handle
> Flac tagging).

There are several other tagging programs that can handle FLAC tags - I
use The Godfather (TGF). Others will tell you what they use, I'm sure.

> Will Slimserver recognise such a tag as "Composer" or can it be made to
> recognise such a tag? If so, how do I go about that?

Slimserver will already recognise the "Composer" tag.

Personally, I've not yet tagged much of my Classical music. As you have
already identified, it's not a trivial task and I still haven't worked
out the best way to do it.

I'll probably use the Artist/Album tags to refer to the "main" artist on
the CD and the name of the album. But most importantly I'll add tags
like "WORK", "PERFORMER", "ENSEMBLE", etc. including multiple entries
for multiple PERFORMERS, for example.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

luuk
2005-08-21, 14:57
Thanks for the info on tagging software. I briefly tried mp3Tag since everyone is raving about it, but as the makers acknowledged, it cannot at tghis stage read Flac tags.

I realise that Slimserver recognises Composer, but not in the browse function. I wanted to know if one could change the Browse settings, since browsing by composer for classical music is a lot more sensible than browsing for artists. Sometimes I just want to play works by a particular composer and having to identify specific albums is a real bind (I normally do not remember them anyway).

However, since it looks as if I can only browse on artist (and genre etc, but not composer), I have started re-tagging my classical Flac files putting the composer under artist and the actual performers under orig. artist. That way I can at least tell Slimserver to play everything by Mozart, say.

Further thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

PS. I saw too late that I should have used the group dedicated to tagging etc. Sorry.

JJZolx
2005-08-21, 15:23
Thanks for the info on tagging software. I briefly tried mp3Tag since everyone is raving about it, but as the makers acknowledged, it cannot at tghis stage read Flac tags.
What is a flac tag? Is that something other than a vorbis tag/comment, which is the standard way of tagging flac files? Mp3tag reads and writes those just fine.

luuk
2005-08-22, 01:40
Jim,

Yes vorbis tags/comments is what I meant. You must be lucky if your mp3Tag reads these tags. Mine did not and this was confirmed by one of their programmers, Alex Pavlenko, who briefly replied after I noticed the problem: "Yes, we have some problems with reading tags of FLACs files :( we'll try to fix it on next version." The version I used was 4.9 build 296.

JulianL
2005-08-22, 02:34
Jim,

Yes vorbis tags/comments is what I meant. You must be lucky if your mp3Tag reads these tags. Mine did not and this was confirmed by one of their programmers, Alex Pavlenko, who briefly replied after I noticed the problem: "Yes, we have some problems with reading tags of FLACs files :( we'll try to fix it on next version." The version I used was 4.9 build 296.
I'm using Mp3tag as my only tagger, only operating on FLAC files. I think I got here thanks to Jim's suggestion and I love it.

I have my tagger's "About..." box on screen and it says "Mp3tag V.2.32a Jul 19 2005 10:16:43".

Your and my version numbers are so different that I wonder if you and Jim are talking about the same mp3Tag (let's face it, it's not exactly an original name for a tagger, so maybe 2 different authors called their program the same name). The one I am using, which definitely works very nicely with FLAC files and is very flexible, is the one from the http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html website.

Hope that helps.

- Julian

luuk
2005-08-22, 05:12
Julian,

You have been most helpful and you are of course absolutely right: as your link showed, there are at least two different mp3Tag programs about. The one you suggested reads the vorbis tags/comments in my flac files without any problems. Thanks.

Yannzola
2005-08-22, 10:18
Julian,

You have been most helpful and you are of course absolutely right: as your link showed, there are at least two different mp3Tag programs about. The one you suggested reads the vorbis tags/comments in my flac files without any problems. Thanks.

FYI - In MP3Tag: You'll need to press "Alt-F1" (... if I remember right) to access the "manual" tag editor. This is where you can set your own custom tags, such as COMPOSER, ENSEMBLE, etc.

I only mention this because it took me a little while to discover this somewhat hidden feature. Great program.