PDA

View Full Version : SB crashing network

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-20, 12:48
I'm on subversion/ ubuntu

I have this really odd problem which has just developed: I have two SB2s, one wireless (connected wired) and one wired. The wired one hasn't been connected for a few days but worked fine before that. When I try to connect it now it can't connect to the slimserver and it seems to cripple the network in some fashion. If I disconnect it, the network recovers after a while.

I've factory reset it and checked the MAC (which is fine). I've also 'forgotten' it in slimserver.

The only thing I can think that may have triggered this behaviour is that I changed the slimserver box from DHCP to a static address before trying to reconnect the problem SB2 (I've subsequently changed back to DHCP, but still the same). I noticed it gave me a message about try to wake slimserver a couple of times, so I wonder if this is connected to the new LAN wake code in some way.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

danco
2005-08-20, 14:46
On 20/8/05 at 12:48 -0700, Patrick Dixon wrote
>I'm on subversion/ ubuntu
>
>I have this really odd problem which has just developed: I have two
>SB2s, one wireless (connected wired) and one wired. The wired one
>hasn't been connected for a few days but worked fine before that. When
>I try to connect it now it can't connect to the slimserver and it seems
>to cripple the network in some fashion. If I disconnect it, the
>network recovers after a while.
>
>I've factory reset it and checked the MAC (which is fine). I've also
>'forgotten' it in slimserver.
>
>The only thing I can think that may have triggered this behaviour is
>that I changed the slimserver box from DHCP to a static address before
>trying to reconnect the problem SB2 (I've subsequently changed back to
>DHCP, but still the same). I noticed it gave me a message about try to
>wake slimserver a couple of times, so I wonder if this is connected to
>the new LAN wake code in some way.

I'm not sure why the network should be crippled. But a change in the
address can prevent the Squeezebox from connecting (and changing back
from static to DHCP may not give the same address as the original
DHCP).

Try running the setup (press and hold power) again, and see if this
leads to recovery.

--
Daniel Cohen

MrC
2005-08-20, 16:09
This does sound like a duplicate IP situation. Have you confirmed that all systems have unique IPs, and are on the same subnet (have the same netmask)?

Try arp -a several times from your server while they are trying to connect or are connected. Watch which IPs and Mac addresses come back.

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-21, 00:30
No it's not a duplicate IP or MAC address.

It appears that the SB in question has some problem with its network connection - I can ping it but I get packet loss - not 100%, but not 0% either.

I've tried two different cables on two different network nodes, so it can't be that either.

This is already a replacement for one that failed, so I will be pretty pissed off (and concerned) if I have to send it back.

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-21, 03:13
Try running the setup (press and hold power) again, and see if this
leads to recovery.
Daniel CohenI've tried that too. The problem seems to be that connection is so intermitent, that any connection made is immediately dropped - it's like being on a wireless network with very little signal - except that this is a wired SB!

Firmware is V16. I've tried downgrading by connecting to a 6.0.3 server, but even when I get to the 'Press and hold BRIGHTNESS' message, it never gets any further.

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-21, 04:39
OK, this is a processor board failure.

I've swapped the processor board with one from my wireless box and it works fine - put the 'faulty' one in the wireless chassis and no go. It's obviously transmitting crap on the network, because it kills communication to the other devices when it's powered up and connected.

This is the replacement for the one that failed previously (just died suddenly), and they cost me 7.50 each time to package up and return to broadbandstuff.co.uk - so is there anything Slim Devices can do (like send me a replacement processor card), pleeease?

firstname dot lastname @at-view.co.uk

Richie
2005-08-21, 09:26
> This is the replacement for the one that failed previously (just died
> suddenly), and they cost me 7.50 each time to package up and return to
> broadbandstuff.co.uk - so is there anything Slim Devices can do (like
> send me a replacement processor card), pleeease?

If it's genuinely faulty and fairly new then whoever sold it to you
should refund your postage costs.

Have a look at www.tradingstandards.gov.uk.

Suppliers always seem to try to get of paying postage but if it's
their fault then they pay. I have had this argument with both dabs and
ebuyer in the past and they eventually gave me the refund.

Richard

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-21, 09:52
If it's genuinely faulty and fairly new then whoever sold it to you should refund your postage costs.I'm sure you're right, but this is a wired SB2 that cost me 141. Profit margin (for the internet retailer) is about 10. So you can understand their reluctance to cough up the return shipping cost and the replacement shipping cost. Some cap the postage cost they'll pay, but then if it's not insured or signed for, the risk is yours. I had one that I sent plain first class post and it went AWOL for a week somewhere in the system. I was quite relieved when it turned up!

The bottom line is that faulty goods please nobody (but they do happen); everybody ends up out of pocket and the manufacturer looks bad. I've been a manufacturer in my time, so I'm really just interested in the lowest pain solution all round! I've bought a total of 12 SB2s now, and it's just this one and the one it directly replaced that have been a problem - wierd.