PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver on Debian Linux



Roy Owen
2005-08-20, 12:03
Okay, about 3 weeks a go my Windows box was struck by lightning, so now
thanks to the insurance company I have a shiny new Dual Xeon EM64T 2.8 GHz
box. I've finally gotten Debian to run. When I run slimserver I get "The
following modules failed to load: XML::Parser.
To download and compile them please run /usr/local/......"

Okay, so I run the build-perl-modules script and I get the error "Couldn't
find a valid dynamic library for XML-Parser2.34.tar.gz".
I assumed that I needed to download the module so I got a copy from source
forge. Now what am I supposed to do with it. I'm really a Linux noob so be
gentle. I do program for a living but only for Windows.


Thanks,
Roy
--
Do meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco.

Dan Sully
2005-08-20, 12:25
* Roy Owen shaped the electrons to say...

>Okay, about 3 weeks a go my Windows box was struck by lightning, so now
>thanks to the insurance company I have a shiny new Dual Xeon EM64T 2.8 GHz
>box. I've finally gotten Debian to run. When I run slimserver I get "The
>following modules failed to load: XML::Parser.
>To download and compile them please run /usr/local/......"

Wow - how do I get my Windows box struck by lightning? :)

>Okay, so I run the build-perl-modules script and I get the error "Couldn't
>find a valid dynamic library for XML-Parser2.34.tar.gz".
>I assumed that I needed to download the module so I got a copy from source
>forge. Now what am I supposed to do with it. I'm really a Linux noob so be
>gentle. I do program for a living but only for Windows.

You probably need to install libexpat-dev:

apt-get install libexpat1-dev

-D
--
"My pockets hurt." - Homer Simpson

Roy Owen
2005-08-20, 12:30
On 8/20/05, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> * Roy Owen shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >Okay, about 3 weeks a go my Windows box was struck by lightning, so now
> >thanks to the insurance company I have a shiny new Dual Xeon EM64T 2.8GHz
> >box. I've finally gotten Debian to run. When I run slimserver I get "The
> >following modules failed to load: XML::Parser.
> >To download and compile them please run /usr/local/......"
>
> Wow - how do I get my Windows box struck by lightning? :)

It wasn't fun. I lost a server a TV, my cable modem, my Wireless router...
It sounded like I was in a popcorn poper. Started just a little after
midnight, the first crack brought me straight up out of bed.


>Okay, so I run the build-perl-modules script and I get the error "Couldn't
> >find a valid dynamic library for XML-Parser2.34.tar.gz".
> >I assumed that I needed to download the module so I got a copy from
> source
> >forge. Now what am I supposed to do with it. I'm really a Linux noob so
> be
> >gentle. I do program for a living but only for Windows.
>
> You probably need to install libexpat-dev:
>
> apt-get install libexpat1-dev

Thanks.


-D
> --
> "My pockets hurt." - Homer Simpson
>

dean
2005-08-20, 17:57
On Aug 20, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Roy Owen shaped the electrons to say...
>
>
>> Okay, about 3 weeks a go my Windows box was struck by lightning,
>> so now thanks to the insurance company I have a shiny new Dual
>> Xeon EM64T 2.8 GHz box. I've finally gotten Debian to run. When I
>> run slimserver I get "The following modules failed to load:
>> XML::Parser.
>> To download and compile them please run /usr/local/......"
>>
>
> Wow - how do I get my Windows box struck by lightning? :)

Take it golfing. When it starts to rain, run to the top of a hill
and hold it over your head.

Marc Sherman
2005-08-21, 11:23
dean blackketter wrote:
>>
>> Wow - how do I get my Windows box struck by lightning? :)
>
>
> Take it golfing. When it starts to rain, run to the top of a hill and
> hold it over your head.

But please, for the love of god, check in your code first.

- Marc

dSw
2005-08-22, 15:12
You probably need to install libexpat-dev:

apt-get install libexpat1-dev

Brilliant. This was *exactly* the same problem I was having.

Thanks for the tip - now all built perfectly! :)