PDA

View Full Version : bridging problems

mustard
2005-08-20, 07:22
Hello.
I have a gentoo-server set up with slimserver. I am currently trying to bridge it to the network via Squeezebox. But when I insert the crossover-cable in the server-end, there is no activity in the network-card, and i don't get the option to bridge in the setup.

Other facts relevant to the case:
-the network card works, I even have two, and can easily connect to Internet via dhcp with both
-the crossover-cable work, cause when i insert it in my gentoo'd laptop, there is light/activity in the network-socket, and I get the bridging option
-when I connect to the server from the laptop via the crossover-cable, the server-side does have light/activity.
-network chips server: Realtek 8139 and via VT6102.
-network chips laptop: Broadcom BCM4401
Seems to me Squeezebox somehow fails to activate either of my cards. What can I do? is there something I should turn on/off? I am currently fiddling around with ethtool to see if the settings are the same in the laptop-card and the server-cards.
Any help will be much appreciated

MrC
2005-08-20, 08:25
Many ethernet chip combinations have problems connecting at all or reliably at 100mbps FD using direct cable connect.

Try lowering the speed and duplex to 10 Half on the system. If this works, and you want faster speed, you will need to get a cheap switch to retain the high speed with that chip.

mustard
2005-08-20, 09:01
Thank you for replying. Will try your suggestion. How does an cabling-scheme for a switch look?
Squeezebox - crossover - Switch - ethernetcable - Server?
Squeezebox - ethernetcable - Switch - ethernetcable - Server?

radish
2005-08-20, 09:06
I would have thought that if you're bridging you want a regular patch cable, not a crossover. May be wrong but worth a try...

MrC
2005-08-20, 09:27
Unless the hardware can auto-detect cable types, you have to use the same cable wiring (straight, cross-over) regardless of the mode. The xmit/rcv lines have to be properly connected (think of connecting the handsets of two phones so that people on both ends can talk)

Crossover cables are used when you go from end device to end device, or from two intermediate devices (eg. switch to switch). Straight-through cables are used from end device to intermediate device (switch), etc. But cable-detecting hardware loosened those rules.

Mustard - back to your question. Do you see the "link" light when you plug the cable between your server and the SB2? That would be the light that comes on immediately at the ethernet jack on either system. If you do, then that cable is correct. If not, then you need a straight-though cable.

Once you have "link" (means the two ethernet devices have partnered at the physical layer, and are at least hardware-wise communicating), then its on to the next higher layer. This is where device-to-device communication can fail. The speed and duplex must be appropriate and match on both partners. Many chip pairings have trouble auto-negotiating the proper settings, and many pairings, as i've mentioned, cannot reliably handle 100 full duplex when device-to-device.

Please confirm you have link.

mustard
2005-08-20, 12:25
Well, I don't have a link. Not even with half duplex/10 Mbps. Not with crossover nor straight. I am running out of options..

seanadams
2005-08-20, 13:25
Well, I don't have a link. Not even with half duplex/10 Mbps. Not with crossover nor straight. I am running out of options..

Does it work if you put a switch in between?

mustard
2005-08-20, 14:06
I don't have that switch lying around to test it, unfortunately. But it must have something to do with the hardware? should be interesting to know if someone have bridged it successfully with my chips (Via and Realtek)..

seanadams
2005-08-20, 17:14
I don't have that switch lying around to test it, unfortunately. But it must have something to do with the hardware? should be interesting to know if someone have bridged it successfully with my chips (Via and Realtek)..

I am not aware of any ethernet compatibility issues with SB2. Furthermore Via and Realtek chips are extremely common so I'm certain that's not the problem.

I would suggest trying a simpler setup, such as just connecting to a server through a switch, to narrow down the problem. Try different cables etc. As a last resort contact support@slimdevices.com to exchange the unit - could be your ethernet port has failed. One more thing also try looking inside the ethernet jack to make sure all the pins are straight and intact.