PDA

View Full Version : PSP slim controller

davidada
2005-08-19, 12:19
Hi , I will post pics later , but I wanted to let everyone know that I downloaded version 2 for the playstation portable,it has a full functioning browser and works awesome to control the slimdevice through the browser.very cool!!

dean
2005-08-19, 14:26
Is this the 2.0 US version? If so, where is it available?

-dean

On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:19 PM, davidada wrote:
> Hi , I will post pics later , but I wanted to let everyone know that I
> downloaded version 2 for the playstation portable,it has a full
> functioning browser and works awesome to control the slimdevice
> through
> the browser.very cool!!

davidada
2005-08-20, 12:42
No its the japanese version, which bye the way is fully functional and in english no problems at all and very ast browser with great image quality

kbelinski
2005-08-21, 01:44
Does the browser feature unicode support?

radish
2005-08-21, 09:41
I would imagine so seeing as it's designed to show Japanese. It looks fine with every language I've thrown at it.

Milhouse
2005-08-21, 12:30
You're late to the party! :)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15273

Basically it works fine with the Handheld skin, although "Browse by Albums" is busted (but this seems to be a common flaw with NetFront browsers). IMHO the new PSP browser (based on NetFront) is nice to have, but not really usable on a regular basis - control is too fiddly and the low resolution makes text look cr*p (or perhaps it's because the text renderer is poorly written, couldn't they at least have tried to implement font smoothing/sub-pixel rendering?)

Personally I'm waiting for a decent browser to come out on PPC - hopefully Minimo - as this will shake up the complacency which has held back the development of good quality browsers on the PPC platform. Pocket IE is garbage but free (comes with OS), and Netfront from Access is the best available paid-for alternative but still rubbish! None of the available browsers support Javascript/ECMAScript properly and CSS support also poor.

The Nokia 770 comes with Opera and so should be fantastic! Perhaps too big to carry around so possibly not a PPC replacement but great for the living room, and as a SlimServer remote control!

davidada
2005-08-21, 17:30
Have you actually tried the vers 2 browser?
If you can play wipeout then you will have no problem with the browser and also the screen display is very very good, I find it very usefull to have a hand held remote browser in such a small form factor.

Milhouse
2005-08-21, 18:42
Have you actually tried the vers 2 browser?
If you can play wipeout then you will have no problem with the browser and also the screen display is very very good, I find it very usefull to have a hand held remote browser in such a small form factor.

Not sure if this question is directed at me but I'll answer it anyway! Yes, I've tried the v2 browser (it's on my Jap PSP) and the lack of a touchscreen on the PSP makes browsing for any length of time far more of a chore than it is on devices that do have a touchscreen (for example, my iPaq HX4700). Controlling the PSP "mouse pointer" using the analogue joystick and scrolling the page by holding one button (square) whilst pressing another (digital stick) is OK for a few minutes of casual surfing, but not for very much longer! :)

I agree the display on the PSP is very good, but unfortunately the v2 PSP browser doesn't do it justice - the text (on the BBC News website, for example) is blurred and unpleasant to read, which spoils the whole experience.

Credit to Sony for this first attempt, but I hope they improve the text rendering in future updates. Unfortunately there isn't much they can do about the navigation controls - they're as good as they're going to get.

Roll on the Nokia 770 with a decent browser and superb high-resolution touch screen! :)

dean
2005-08-24, 14:38
On Aug 21, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Milhouse wrote:
> I agree the display on the PSP is very good, but unfortunately the v2
> PSP browser doesn't do it justice - the text (on the BBC News website,
> for example) is blurred and unpleasant to read, which spoils the whole
> experience.
That's really interesting, I've got the 2.0 US update running here,
and the font is very clear when browsing the Handheld skin, and not
too bad when on the BBC.co.uk site. There are some simple tweaks
that would make Handheld a lot better, but it's actually quite lovely
to read, IMHO.

> Roll on the Nokia 770 with a decent browser and superb high-resolution
> touch screen! :)
I agree, this is going to be a really exciting platform for
controlling SlimServer.

-dean

Milhouse
2005-08-24, 16:38
That's really interesting, I've got the 2.0 US update running here, and the font is very clear when browsing the Handheld skin, and not too bad when on the BBC.co.uk site. There are some simple tweaks that would make Handheld a lot better, but it's actually quite lovely
to read, IMHO.
-dean

I see whats going on - perhaps after all Sony/Access have attempted some sort of sub-pixel rendering as the vertical stokes on some characters are "fatter" than they should be. Essentially text is blurred on my Jap/v2 and I would suggest this is in fact due to botched sub-pixel rendering. I'm used to viewing text on LCD screens with "ClearType" rendering (which is the MS name for sub-pixel rendering) and it usually looks good - the difference between "ClearType" and regular font rendering on an LCD is vast however it seems on the PSP that Sony/Access have created a hybrid render which IMHO looks cr*p!

On my PSP I've got letters in entire words that seem to merge together due to the fatter downstrokes leaving no white space between the letters - this looks awful. Perhaps the horizontal resolution of the PSP screen isn't sufficient to support this kind of technology, but ClearType works perfectly on my 480x640 iPaq HX4700 screen so why not on the PSP?

I'm not saying you're wrong Dean, but if you look closely and compare the PSP browser with browsers on "normal" LCD screens I think you'll appreciate that the PSP doesn't actually stack up too well. Either that or mine is deffective - "very clear" is not a description I would use as the PSP text is blurred rather than the pin sharp I get on the hx4700 or the Eizo LCD in front of me right now! :)

davidada
2005-08-26, 05:20
Hi, mine reads smallest type perfectly rendered, maybe look at someone elses PSP? could be something wrong

Milhouse
2005-08-26, 13:51
Hi, mine reads smallest type perfectly rendered, maybe look at someone elses PSP? could be something wrong

I'll try and check another PSP (a colleague has one, also Jap) but I think the general "blurryness" of small text is due to the relatively limited vertical resolution, and also that PSP pixels are very rectangular - with a 480 x 272 resolution each pixel is far wider than you would view on a "normal" 4:3 screen.

Milhouse
2005-08-26, 14:01
Have found some sites with side-by-side comparisons of PSP and PPC browsers! :)

http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2005/07/psp-browser-vs-landscape-dell-x50v.html

Unfortunately the pictures aren't that great but I have to admit the PSP text does look pretty clear - I'm still at work right now but will check how the Google home page looks like when I get home!

Will post an update on Saturday.

Milhouse
2005-08-27, 07:03
At the risk of labouring a point I've posted up a dialup-unfriendly (1.2Mb) snapshot of the Google homepage on my Jap PSP with v2.00 firmware (text size is set to "Normal"):

http://www.nmacleod.com/psp/google.jpg

The sort of text rendering issues I'm talking about should be fairly clear if you look at the bottom of the Google page in the image where it has the links "Advertising Programmes - Business Solutions - About Google - Go to Google.com"

There is a certain "fuzziness" around the letters in "Business Solutions", particularly the letters "s", "n" and "o". The black copyright text is extremely fuzzy - the letter "g" and number "6" being the most extreme examples. This is no doubt due to anti-aliasing/sub-pixel rendering (not sure which, one or the other) but the effect is soften the text and cause these glitches - this text is *not* sharp and clear!

I know I'm being quite pedantic/anal/extreme (force of habit!) but I find it quite hard to view web pages when the text has these characteristics - whenever I view a page on the PSP I immediately begin to notice the lack of crispness to the text and it p*sses me off! :)

By contrast I don't see this on an iPAQ or any other LCD screen that employs similar technology to improve the quality of the displayed text.

The PSP is fine for occasional surfing but IMHO it's definately not up to the job of surfing text heavy (news-type) sites.

The Handheld skin is fine on the PSP (although Browse by album is broken) but again the lack of textual crispness is evident here when the text size is set to "Normal", however text quality improves a touch when text size is set to "Large" although the letter "e" has an annoying "shimmer" to it.

I think I've said enough - I'm pretty sure my Jap PSP isn't defective, and believe this is just the way the browser works on Jap hardware!

Maybe the US firmware is different in this respect if US users aren't seeing these text characteristics/artefacts?

:)