PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect IP using DHCP

ian
2005-08-19, 12:09
I'm having trouble setting up my SB2. Using a static IP will not work, after a lot of trouple managed to get it working with DHCP, but when the SB2 is turned off and on it asks to set the network again, and then shows an incorrect IP address, not in the range that I am using. To over come this I have to do a factory reset and then the SB2 receives the correct IP address. My set up is windows XP Pro, belkin ADSAL router. I've also noticed that the SB2 somtimes "hangs" and has to be turned off and on again. Any ideas what going on.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

dean
2005-08-19, 14:24
Can you post the details of your network setup? IP addresses, other
devices?

On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:09 PM, ian wrote:

>
> I'm having trouble setting up my SB2. Using a static IP will not work,
> after a lot of trouple managed to get it working with DHCP, but when
> the SB2 is turned off and on it asks to set the network again, and
> then
> shows an incorrect IP address, not in the range that I am using. To
> over
> come this I have to do a factory reset and then the SB2 receives the
> correct IP address. My set up is windows XP Pro, belkin ADSAL router.
> I've also noticed that the SB2 somtimes "hangs" and has to be turned
> off and on again. Any ideas what going on.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ian
>
>
> --
> ian
>

ian
2005-08-20, 03:26
Hi Dean

My set up is as follows:

Windows PC connected directly to a Belkin wireless ADSL router.

Belkin ADSL Belkin router model number F5D7630-4A.

I do use a wireless laptop but it has not been switched on when trying to set up SB2. Incidently wirless laptop gives no problem interacting with the Belkin router using static IP address.

IP address for router is 192.168.2.1

IP address for windows PC is 192.168.2.2

Laptop uses 192.168.2.3

Originally gave IP 192.168.2.4 to SB2 but SB2 could not find slimserver, and could not ping SB2 for windows PC.

Factory reset SB2 and and router. Configured router to give DHCP IP addresses.

SB2 was given correct IP address of 192.168.2.3 by router (192.168.2.3 originally reserved for laptop but router has been reset). This worked fine and SB2 connected to slimserver, can ping SB2 from router. Lovely sound by the way, most impressed :)

If SB2 is turned off and on it looses connectivety with the router. Cannot ping SB2 from PC.

Checked setting on SB2 and they are as was before turning off SB2. IP 192.168.2.3, mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.2.1, DNS 192.168.2.1.

When going through the networking setup again on SB2, DHCP IP address received by SB2 is incorrect, for example received 169.254.60.131. The first two octets 169 and 254 remain constant but last two octets change on repeated attampts off setup. IP mask received by SB2 is 255.255.0.0.

Hope the above info helps you to identify what is happening.

Thanks in advance

Ian

MrC
2005-08-20, 08:32
The 169.254 address is reservered in the private IP space for auto-configuration of IPs. This is automatically set if no auto-discoverable IP is available (ie. via DHCP). The SB2 would have set this address itself, DHCP had nothing to do with this.

Is it possible that you are getting a poor signal, and / or the wireless connection is dropping?

ian
2005-08-20, 14:00
Hi Mrc

Thanks for the reply, this is interesting. I have 100% signal, SB2 is right next to my router, I don't believe my connection is dropping out. I would have thought that if SB2's are auto configuirng when there is no auto-discoverable IP available, due do wirless or other issues, there would have been more mentioned about it in the forums, as I would expect it to be a common occurence.

Ian

MrC
2005-08-20, 15:54
Ian, test your SB2 with a static IP. I'm not sure why you say a static IP won't work - of course it will. Set your SB2 to a static IP, with appropriate netmask, gateway, and DNS server. Get that to work, and then once you have things working, reconfigure with dynamic IP.

Just pick an IP outside of your DHCP range, like 192.168.2.254 (given your examples, and presuming your belkin is reserving only 50 to 100 IPs or so.

kevin
2005-08-23, 15:34
Hmm, could you try resetting the SB2 to factory default by holding down the ADD(+) button while plugging it in?

If it's using an old IP, perhaps it's not actually getting connected at the time?

Using a static IP would also be a good idea, just use like .222 or something high/out of the dhcp range of the router...

You might also want to make sure that you have the latest firmware version installed on the router.

ian
2005-08-24, 10:23
Thanks for the reply Kevin.

The SB2 is working fine now with a static IP, although I had to factory reset the SB2 and set it to obtain an IP address using DCHP. Then I went back into the setup and changed the obtion to static IP. After this the SB2 worked fine, and has been doing so for 4 days now, even connecting to the squeezenetwork.

Talking of the squeezenetwork, I've tried several times to register, but have not received any activation e-mails, any ideas what might be amiss.

Thanks Again

Ian

kevin
2005-08-24, 14:22
Talking of the squeezenetwork, I've tried several times to register, but have not received any activation e-mails, any ideas what might be amiss.

The e-mail is probably being filtered out as spam. I just activated you manually.

ian
2005-08-25, 13:43
Thanks Kevin

I've logged onto Squeezenetwork and my SB2 is working lovely.

Ian