PDA

View Full Version : Cost

bjackson
2005-08-19, 10:40
I have a question about the cost of the device, as I am extremely interested in purchasing one. Will the price of this device ever drop or will it remain constant throughout its entire production run?

I ask this because I am a poor college student that needs to save every penny (think JM Lab tastes on a Pioneer budget) :). I do realize that it is a wonderful value, especially considering the quality of the internal components, which are not found on any device at this price.

Also, is there anywhere online where this can be purchased less expensively? I think no, for it seems that the price is fixed, but I can hope. Also any chance of refurbs?

kdf
2005-08-19, 10:54
Quoting bjackson <bjackson.1u0voz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I have a question about the cost of the device, as I am extremely
> interested in purchasing one. Will the price of this device ever drop
> or will it remain constant throughout its entire production run?

If you've looked at the web site, you'll notice that prices have already been
recently marked down.

> Also, is there anywhere online where this can be purchased less
> expensively? I think no, for it seems that the price is fixed, but I
> can hope. Also any chance of refurbs?

I have seen no indication of price fixing anywhere. Retail outlets set their own
prices based on the markup they want.

There were some original squeezebox refurbs available a while ago. Odds are
that SB2 will also follow that path in the future should newer hardware come
along.

-kdf
--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

medtech
2005-08-19, 12:16
Hi bjackson,
I just received my Squeezebox 2 Wireless today which I purchased off of Ebay for $200 plus shipping. They're still pretty scarce though and tend to get bid up close to the price you'd pay for a new unit. I think I got pretty lucky but if you're not in a big hurry you may save a few bucks by going this route. Otherwise I believe Slim Devices lists any refurbished units under the "Accessories" tab in the "Buy Now" heading of their home page. Good Luck.
Mike

audiofi
2005-08-19, 13:54
I can assure you they aren't price fixed, but the cost is so low for what you get that the dealers haven't got a lot to play with.

I sell these myself and buy directly from the distributor and although I can just undercut other places on the wireless, I struggle with the wired version.

Andrew
www.audiofi.co.uk

bjackson
2005-08-20, 07:30
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that slimdevices was price fixing the market, I only meant that the price seemed "fixed" (i.e. not variable) over multiple merchants.