Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Dixon
    • Apr 2005

Re-boxing SB2

I'm think about re-boxing my modified SB2 in a metal (ally) box. I will probably ground the box (although I suppose I don't have too since there are only low voltages involved), and I'm wondering what effect this will have on wireless reception. Obviously the external antenna will be unaffected, but there's an internal one too.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience they could share?

Is the existing (plastic) box zinc sprayed, since that seems to work OK?
    www.at-tunes.co.uk
  • seanadams
    Founder, Slim Devices
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Patrick Dixon
    I'm think about re-boxing my modified SB2 in a metal (ally) box. I will probably ground the box (although I suppose I don't have too since there are only low voltages involved), and I'm wondering what effect this will have on wireless reception. Obviously the external antenna will be unaffected, but there's an internal one too.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience they could share?

Is the existing (plastic) box zinc sprayed, since that seems to work OK?
    The antennas won't work in a metal box. It should work fine with a single antenna though.

You could also look into getting some "pigtail" cables to bring the connector(s) our to the back panel.

The connection on the card is called "MMCX" and the back panel is called "SMA" (reverse polarity SMA to be specific). Some googling should turn up a few choices as these cables are used a lot by antenna hackers.

Comment

• seanadams
      Founder, Slim Devices
      • Apr 2005

Sorry, meant to say "UFL", not MMCX for the internal connector (MMCX was for SB1's 802.11b card). UFL is also known as IPEX.

Something like this should work. Just drill a hole and screw into the back panel:

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
        • Apr 2005

Sean, many thanks.

If I ever get it done I will post some pictures for you. I have made a few mods to the audio circuitry though, and comparing it to the standard SB2 is like chalk and cheese. Decent though the standard SB2 is, the mods make it a real giant-killer. Shame you're not closer or you could come for a listen! (Plenty of room for parking here).
        www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Robin Bowes

Re-boxing SB2

Patrick Dixon wrote:
          > Sean, many thanks.
          >
          > If I ever get it done I will post some pictures for you. I have made a
          > few mods to the audio circuitry though, and comparing it to the standard
          > SB2 is like chalk and cheese. Decent though the standard SB2 is, the
          > mods make it a real giant-killer. Shame you're not closer or you could
          > come for a listen! (Plenty of room for parking here).

Patrick,

Care to share with us what you've done?

R.

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
            • Apr 2005

Robin,

I sprinkle loads of fairy dust on my soldering iron tip and then get stuck in

I'd say my mods fall somewhere between the simplicity of the Red Wine Audio mods and the butchery of the 'hacksaw' approach. I've reworked the PSU (using Andy Weekes' fabulous SuperRegs), the clock and the output op-amp, and upgraded some of the component types. I need to rebox it now, so that it's in two matching boxes.

If you're in the UK and reasonably located wrt Bristol, email me and maybe we can arrange a listen.

firstname dot lastname @at-view.co.uk
            www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Robin Bowes

Re-boxing SB2

Patrick Dixon wrote:
              > Robin,
              >
              > I sprinkle loads of fairy dust on my soldering iron tip and then get
              > stuck in

Heh.

>
              > I'd say my mods fall somewhere between the simplicity of the Red Wine
              > Audio mods and the butchery of the 'hacksaw' approach. I've reworked
              > the PSU (using Andy Weekes' fabulous SuperRegs), the clock and the
              > output op-amp, and upgraded some of the component types. I need to
              > rebox it now, so that it's in two matching boxes.

I have about 4 SuperRegs that I had intended to use on my Art DI/O ADAC
              but having heard the SB2 I've decided that I'd be better of using them
              in the SB2.

What have you done to the PSU? I seem to remember, from some schematics
              Sean/Dean posted, that a couple of SuperRegs would do the trick - one
              for the DAC and another for the output stage. Although, I'd probably
              take the audio out directly from the DAC chip and bypass the opamp.

And the clock - I thought the SB2 has remarkably low jitter. Did you see
              much improvement after the clock mod? What have you done to the clock?

> If you're in the UK and reasonably located wrt Bristol, email me and
              > maybe we can arrange a listen.

Well, I'm in the UK but alas live just north of York so Bristol is a
              little out of range!

Cheers,

R.

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Robin Bowes
                I have about 4 SuperRegs that I had intended to use on my Art DI/O ADAC
                but having heard the SB2 I've decided that I'd be better of using them
                in the SB2.
                I've only used one - but I'm going to try two next.
                What have you done to the PSU? I seem to remember, from some schematics
                Sean/Dean posted, that a couple of SuperRegs would do the trick - one
                for the DAC and another for the output stage. Although, I'd probably
                take the audio out directly from the DAC chip and bypass the opamp.
                I'm still using the opamp - although not that exact type!
                And the clock - I thought the SB2 has remarkably low jitter. Did you see
                much improvement after the clock mod? What have you done to the clock?
                Jitter can never be too low - see Sean's post for some hints.
                Well, I'm in the UK but alas live just north of York so Bristol is a
                little out of range!
                Shame - if I'm ever heading that way I'll let you know.
                www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Robin Bowes

Re-boxing SB2

Patrick,

Sorry if this sounds a little blunt...

I could keep replying, asking for ever more detail, but you seem to be a
                  little reticent.

Would you care you share with us what you've done, or do you have
                  reasons not to do this?

Thanks,

R.

Comment

• Andrew L. Weekes
                    • May 2005

Robin

I think the SB2 would be worth your attentions, mine is sounding bloody marvellous at present, to the point I now feel it's little different, and possibly slightly better, than my main CD player (which cost a 4-figure sum)!

Having heard Patrick's last week, with super-reg's installed it sounded amazingly good.

This is all still without actually using any of my super-reg's (yet) in mine as I need to do a re-box to allow this, I do have one used as an external linear supply replacing the standard wall-wart though.

The things I've done to mine, in some approximation of sonic importance are: -

1) Added a linear regulator (3-terminal at present) to the 'HCU04 (currently fed from the internal 14V)

2) Disabled the 12MHz clock and the SPDIF from the 'HCU04

3) Routed the clock directly to the DAC

4) Added an external linear supply (5V)

5) Changed the analogue decoupling electrolytics for polyester film caps (with 0.5R in series)

6) Changed the output op-amp for an AD8066

7) Re-jigged the o/p stage to be a 2-pole Bessel filter and using polystyrene caps in place of the ceramics

8) Changed the coupling electrolytics between DAC and op-amp and op-amp o/p for Elna Silmics

9) Changed the op-amp bias voltage decoupling for a film cap

1-4 are by far the biggest winners in my view, and I'm certain there are large gains to be had from much better reg's all around, my intention being to replace all the analogue supplies with super-reg's (14V, 5V, 3.3V) once I get the box drilled and ready to receive the SB2!

I'll then examine whether the internal switchers cause any problems, now they are isolated from the critical analogue /clock functions.

Andy.

Comment

• Triode
                      • Apr 2005

Andrew,

Any views on the noise spectrum of Nicads/NMHi batteries? I am speculating about a battery psu for the HCU04. As I am only interested in digital out I am wondering whether this is a way to go. I'm Currently using a simple linear reg for this.

Adrian

Comment

• Yannzola
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Triode
                        Andrew,

Any views on the noise spectrum of Nicads/NMHi batteries? I am speculating about a battery psu for the HCU04. As I am only interested in digital out I am wondering whether this is a way to go. I'm Currently using a simple linear reg for this.

Adrian
                        You should get in touch with Vinnie at Red Wine Audio, SB2 battery mods are his specialty. http://www.redwineaudio.com/SB2_Mods.html

y.
                        last.fm >> Yannzola

Comment

• Triode
                          • Apr 2005

Sean - any chance you could confirm the family of the Xilinx chip. I just want to check it doesn't have any problems with input voltages above 3.3V (should be fine if interfaces to 5V or 3.3 V logic which I think it does based on the datasheets I've looked at)

The thing I want to try is is 3x 1.2V cells to the HCU04....

Comment

• Andrew L. Weekes
                            • May 2005

Re: Batteries

I'm not a big fan of batteries, under most real-world loads they are always worse (noisier, lower bandwidth, poorer transient performance) than a *well-designed* linear regulator BUT they are possibly easier for the average DIY'er to get reasonable results from, hence the appeal, I guess.

Added to the inconvenience of charging and maintenance, they'll never be my first choice, I've certainly never acheived state-of-the-art performance with them. I've never tried NiMH, but have no reason to suppose their chemistry makes them any better than NiCD for audio.

Andy.

Comment

• joshk
                              • Aug 2005

Andrew,

What do you mean by lower bandwidth for batteries? I understand your other two points, but I am not grasping this one.

Comment

Working...