PDA

View Full Version : Changing MAC address

kbelinski
2005-08-18, 21:26
I remember seeing instructions on how to modify the MAC address in this forum. I tried the SEARCH but could not find it.

Could anybody advice the procedure? Somehow the MAC address of my SB2 have been molested and I need to put it back right.

kdf
2005-08-18, 22:04
press and hold power to reset. when its starting up scroll to "view
current settings". find the mac address and press right.
-kdf

On 18-Aug-05, at 9:26 PM, kbelinski wrote:

>
> I remember seeing instructions on how to modify the MAC address in this
> forum. I tried the SEARCH but could not find it.
>
> Could anybody advice the procedure? Somehow the MAC address of my SB2
> have been molested and I need to put it back right.
>
>
> --
> kbelinski
>

kbelinski
2005-08-21, 07:48
I read that this phenomenon is due to a bug in the firmware that could potentially corrupt some part of data. Based on my observation of the last few MAC address hiccups, it appears that the MAC address gets corrupted in a very predictable fashion. The change always occurs this way... from A to B (where A is the original MAC at the bottom printed label, B is a different but consistent MAC). When I change the MAC back to A, the next occurrence of the bug would cause A to change to B again. So instead of changing B back to A, I have decided to leave it as B to save all the trouble. So far so good.

BTW. Apparently not just the MAC is affected, the SSID, netmask, and dns were affected whenever the MAC change occur. I suspect it could be the doing of this bug too. Is there a fix for this bug in the pipeline?