PDA

View Full Version : Remote trigger to power amplifier

gonk
2005-08-18, 07:02
Is there a way of getting a remote power turn-on trigger signal from the SB2 to power up an amplifier?

Maybe there is an internal supply voltage that is in standby when turned off? Can anyone tell me where to find a suitable voltage?

I will then place a buffer (if needed), connectors and a switching relay in my Rotel power amplifier. The SB2 will be the only audio source and the amplifier will be hidden, so it needs no power when the SB2 is turned off.

max.spicer
2005-08-18, 10:32
I think this has been discussed here in the past, with some people posting details of their solutions to this problem (probably including wiring diagrams). It would definitely be worth spending some time searching the forums.

Max

Is there a way of getting a remote power turn-on trigger signal from the SB2 to power up an amplifier?

Maybe there is an internal supply voltage that is in standby when turned off? Can anyone tell me where to find a suitable voltage?

I will then place a buffer (if needed), connectors and a switching relay in my Rotel power amplifier. The SB2 will be the only audio source and the amplifier will be hidden, so it needs no power when the SB2 is turned off.

cliveb
2005-08-18, 10:53
I think this has been discussed here in the past, with some people posting details of their solutions to this problem (probably including wiring diagrams). It would definitely be worth spending some time searching the forums.
I asked pretty much the same a little while back. As far as I am aware, there is currently no solution available along these lines. If and when the geekport (via the headphone socket) is activated, there may be scope for obtaining such a signal.

In the meantime, I put an IR remote receiver into my power relay box and set it up to use the "Sleep" button (which I never use) on the SB2 remote. Of course it would be more elegant for the SB2's "Power" button to turn the amps on & off, but for the time being it wouldn't be sensible to set up the power relay to respond to that, since you could easily get into a situation where the SB2 and relay get out of sync, resulting in one on and the other off.

lostboy
2005-08-19, 07:26
You might find it useful to have a look at the Xpl support provided in Slimserver. Xpl is a simple (open source) automation protocol - slimserver sends out Xpl messages to indicate the changing power state of the squeezebox, these are picked up by an automation manager application on the server (Xpl HAL) which then sends out an X10 mains line signal via an X10 to computer interface (hardware you have to purchase). This is picked up via an X10 switching device (more hardware you have to purchase) which controls the mains power to the amp. It works fine for me. If you want to know more please ask on the forum - I'll help and there are other Xpl users who are probably far more capable than I.

Chris

dermo99
2005-08-19, 09:54
has anyone tried a setup as per the attached link?
http://www.xplproject.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=34&page=4

lostboy
2005-08-20, 02:57
It's a little simpler now, rleong and John Gorst on the xPL forum updated the xPL support in slimserver in May this year so that it can now explicity flag changes in the power-state of each squeezebox on your system, irrespective of where the change is triggered (e.g. trapping a button press won't capture an alarm clock event). But otherwise the approach I use is similar - I use determinators that send X10 commands whenever an appropriate power state change is detected.

Chris

bmccall
2005-08-20, 05:43
Iam having trouble finding the c11 or c12 interface hardware and the receiving hardware in the US. Do you have source information?

Thanks!

Ben

gorstk
2005-08-20, 12:45
bmccall wrote:
> Iam having trouble finding the c11 or c12 interface hardware and the
> receiving hardware in the US. Do you have source information?

You are spoilt for choice of cheap x10 hardware in the US

Try ebay - there is loads advertised there. It may be called a slightly
different name in the US, but it is the comptuer controller you are
looking for.

lostboy
2005-08-21, 02:39
The serial interface is also available here http://www.x10-store.com/2coinmocm.html or here http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/PC-Home/Item/CM11A and many more besides.

A good US site for Home Automation links is http://www.homeautomationindex.com

Chris

bmccall
2005-08-21, 07:23
Has anyone used this usb controller which has input and output and memory so that it can function with or without the computer. http://www.smarthome.com/1132cu.html

Ben

lostboy
2005-08-21, 09:45
Ben,

if you're looking for a user of the PowerLinc with xPL I think you're out of luck - as far as I know no-one has written an interface for it yet. xPL protocol depends upon the notion of a central controller rather than embedded intelligence in the interface, so even were an interface to exist it wouldn't use the memory features of the PowerLinc.

Chris