PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on MacOS

max.spicer
2005-08-18, 04:43
Are there any major problems with running SlimServer on a Mac? A distant memory says there was something, but I can't remember any details. I'm getting tempted by the idea of buying a MacMini and using it as a small, quite server box.

Max

mikerob
2005-08-18, 05:04
I use a Mac Mini + external LaCie firewire drive as a dedicated music server and have had no problems that appear to be Mac specific.

Mac aliases aren't yet supported however you can create symbolic links and I think alias support is planned for the future.

peter_harding
2005-08-18, 06:13
I have exactly the combination as mike and its fantastic combination, almost silent running and small stylish form factor. I run it onto a 32" panasonic lcd tv with a gyration wireless keyboard and mouse for wireless track selection from the sofa. The only thing i did was up the memory to 1gb and buy the faster processor version.

I have however had some teething troubles with the nightlies, with the server just stoping when both units are not in use during the day. But it seems okay now i have stopped using itunes as the front end. 5.4 was running fine.

Pete.
Anagram Production services

danco
2005-08-18, 08:49
On 18/8/05 at 04:43 -0700, max.spicer wrote
>Are there any major problems with running SlimServer on a Mac? A
>distant memory says there was something, but I can't remember any
>details. I'm getting tempted by the idea of buying a MacMini and using
>it as a small, quite server box.

I don't know anything about the Mac Mini, but I was using SlimServer
happily on the Quicksilver 800 MHz G4. I don't have a lot of tracks,
though.