PDA

View Full Version : SlimTray shortcoming

JJZolx
2005-08-17, 17:54
In IE I have major problems with graphics when connectiong to SlimServer, so I have to use firefox. Browsing artwork in IE, for instance, will seldom load more than 1/2 the covers, while in firefox pages load 100% every time.

I really like using SlimTray to launch a browser window to SlimServer. But it's hardcoded to point at the file named 'SlimServer Web Interface.url'. Since this file is a URL shortcut, it will always be opened by the default web browser. But I'd like the option to open in firefox instead.

Can the link in SlimTray be made configurable? Maybe a slimtray.pref file containing the link. Then I'd use a .lnk shortcut file that itself points at "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe http://localhost:9000".

There might be some other items to throw in a slimtray.pref file. I think the SlimServer service name is also hard-coded. When I set up Perl to run SlimServer as a service using SrvAny.exe I had to make sure it used the same service name that the compiled Windows exe used.

dean
2005-08-17, 18:02
Jim,

These are good suggestions. Can you file enhancement requests on
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

Thanks,

dean

On Aug 17, 2005, at 5:54 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> In IE I have major problems with graphics when connectiong to
> SlimServer, so I have to use firefox. Browsing artwork in IE, for
> instance, will seldom load more than 1/2 the covers, while in firefox
> pages load 100% every time.
>
> I really like using SlimTray to launch a browser window to SlimServer.
> But it's hardcoded to point at the file named 'SlimServer Web
> Interface.url'. Since this file is a URL shortcut, it will always be
> opened by the default web browser. But I'd like the option to open in
> firefox instead.
>
> Can the link in SlimTray be made configurable? Maybe a slimtray.pref
> file containing the link. Then I'd use a .lnk shortcut file that
> itself points at "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
> http://localhost:9000".
>
> There might be some other items to throw in a slimtray.pref file. I
> think the SlimServer service name is also hard-coded. When I set up
> Perl to run SlimServer as a service using SrvAny.exe I had to make
> sure
> it used the same service name that the compiled Windows exe used.
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
>

radish
2005-08-17, 18:59
In IE I have major problems with graphics when connectiong to SlimServer, so I have to use firefox. Browsing artwork in IE, for instance, will seldom load more than 1/2 the covers, while in firefox pages load 100% every time.

I really like using SlimTray to launch a browser window to SlimServer. But it's hardcoded to point at the file named 'SlimServer Web Interface.url'. Since this file is a URL shortcut, it will always be opened by the default web browser. But I'd like the option to open in firefox instead.

Can the link in SlimTray be made configurable? Maybe a slimtray.pref file containing the link. Then I'd use a .lnk shortcut file that itself points at "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe http://localhost:9000".

There might be some other items to throw in a slimtray.pref file. I think the SlimServer service name is also hard-coded. When I set up Perl to run SlimServer as a service using SrvAny.exe I had to make sure it used the same service name that the compiled Windows exe used.

Just an aside - if you have firefox installed, why on earth is IE your default browser?

Mike Hanson
2005-08-17, 23:28
Just an aside - if you have firefox installed, why on earth is IE your default browser?
I've often seen differences in presentation between FF and IE, and I prefer to see web pages the way most of the world sees them. IF Firefox becomes the "standard" browser (as IE is now), then I'll switch.

BTW, I do use FF for browsing SlimServer, because I like to leave the SlimServer browser open. If it's using IE, then the browser instance is frequently being "kidnapped" when I click on some unrelated link in another program. By using Firefox for SlimServer, I don't have to worry about that. I also happen to use FF for www.allmusic.com, so that site and SlimServer are always bashing each other over the head, but I can live with that.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

radish
2005-08-18, 07:48
IF Firefox becomes the "standard" browser (as IE is now), then I'll switch.
It already is the standards browser. It's just not the most commonly used. The problem is, if you continue to use IE just because some sites are broken, that doesn't give the lazy maintainers of those sites any encouragement to fix things, and so everyone gets stuck with crappy pages for years to come.

I also happen to use FF for www.allmusic.com, so that site and SlimServer are always bashing each other over the head, but I can live with that.
Install the tab browser preferences extension, set external links to open in new tabs, problem solved.

stinkingpig
2005-08-18, 08:40
radish wrote:

>>IF Firefox becomes the "standard" browser (as IE is now), then I'll
>>switch.
>>
>>
>It already is the standard-s- browser. It's just not the most commonly
>used. The problem is, if you continue to use IE just because some sites
>are broken, that doesn't give the lazy maintainers of those sites any
>encouragement to fix things, and so everyone gets stuck with crappy
>pages for years to come.
>
>
>
>>I also happen to use FF for www.allmusic.com, so that site and
>>SlimServer are always bashing each other over the head, but I can live
>>with that.
>>
>>
>Install the tab browser preferences extension, set external links to
>open in new tabs, problem solved.
>
>
>

Extension may not be necessary -- I don't have it, and allmusic.com
works fine for me.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing has all the settings I
need :)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org : It's a Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
so across the Western ocean I must wander." -- All for Me Grog, traditional

Mike Hanson
2005-08-18, 09:43
It already is the standards browser. It's just not the most commonly used. The problem is, if you continue to use IE just because some sites are broken, that doesn't give the lazy maintainers of those sites any encouragement to fix things, and so everyone gets stuck with crappy pages for years to come.
Since IE is used by the most users, then it's the de facto standard, even if it doesn't support all of the "standards". If I see the most sites "correctly" (i.e. as tested by the site builder with IE), then that's good enough for me. I don't feel compelled to force all those lazy maintainers to tow the line. I also don't despise Microsoft, as I expect that you do.

Install the tab browser preferences extension, set external links to open in new tabs, problem solved.
I don't want the tabs, as I've got the interface in FF set to be as minimal as possible (e.g. no address bar, etc.), to maximize screen real estate for SlimServer.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

radish
2005-08-18, 10:23
I also don't despise Microsoft, as I expect that you do
Lets not get personal. You don't know me, or what I think about Microsoft, and it's none of your business (and nothing to do with this forum). I was only trying to be helpful, I've learned my lesson, I'll refrain from offering advice to you in the future.

Mike Hanson
2005-08-18, 11:17
Lets not get personal. You don't know me, or what I think about Microsoft, and it's none of your business (and nothing to do with this forum). I was only trying to be helpful, I've learned my lesson, I'll refrain from offering advice to you in the future.

Although I don't "know” you, your post implied enough about your views for me to make an intelligent guess regarding your love of Microsoft (or lack thereof). Your advice was liberally flavoured with suggestions regarding which browser I should be using and why. Perhaps you could have considering not getting “personal", prior to flying your own philosophical flag.

Anyway, you're right that this is thread drift, and doesn't really belong on this forum. Slim Devices does a great job of making their product work on differing platforms, and I have no problem with taking a similarly accepting stance.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
<giggle>

takashi37
2005-08-19, 21:43
I've often seen differences in presentation between FF and IE, and I prefer to see web pages the way most of the world sees them. IF Firefox becomes the "standard" browser (as IE is now), then I'll switch.

I'm not totally positive, but I think if you install the developer toolbar in firefox...

http://chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/download/

...then choose "Use Border Box Model" from the CSS menu when viewing a page, it will render the page in "quirks" mode which is very similar to IE.

And even if this doesn't work for you, said toolbar has a host of other wonderful features if you do any site development.

http://chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/documentation/features/

TL

P.S. Not affiliated with said extension, just a fan who has slightly more hair because of it :)