PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer and Mac OS X Tiger



danco
2005-08-17, 03:21
Trying to diagnose some problems (with Alien BBC) running on my new
Mac under Mac OS 10.4.2 (Tiger) I tried running from the command line
with the command

/Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer


The response I got was

-bash:
/Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer:
Bad executable (or shared library)

I never had any trouble running from the command line under Panther.
But Panther used tcsh as shell (or at least it did when upgrading
from Jaguar).

I am wondering whether environment variables are set differently
under the two shells, not that I know much about this.

If there are others using Tiger with bash as the shell, perhaps they
can see if they have the same issue.

If this turns out to be a real issue, then SlimServer needs to be
changed to deal with it.

Please note that SlimServer runs fine when run normally (that is, as
a preference pane), it's only running from the command line that
fails.

I suspect that this failure and the failure of AlienBBC to stream any
music may have the same cause.
--
Daniel Cohen

kdf
2005-08-17, 10:42
Quoting Daniel Cohen <danco (AT) f2s (DOT) com>:

>
/Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer

There should be a slimserver.pl that you execute.

-kdf--
NOT a Slim Devices employee

dean
2005-08-17, 10:45
On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:21 AM, Daniel Cohen wrote:

> Trying to diagnose some problems (with Alien BBC) running on my new
> Mac under Mac OS 10.4.2 (Tiger) I tried running from the command
> line with the command
>
> /Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> MacOS/SlimServer
>
> The response I got was
>
> -bash: /Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/
> Contents/MacOS/SlimServer: Bad executable (or shared library)

This isn't the path to the slimserver.pl script... It's here:

/Users/dean/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/slimserver.pl

(or if you have it installed for all users it's /Library/
PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefpane/...

danco
2005-08-17, 13:24
On 17/8/05 at 10:45 -0700, dean blackketter wrote
>On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:21 AM, Daniel Cohen wrote:
>
>>Trying to diagnose some problems (with Alien BBC) running on my new
>>Mac under Mac OS 10.4.2 (Tiger) I tried running from the command
>>line with the command
>>
>>/Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer
>>
>>The response I got was
>>
>>-bash:
>>/Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer:
>>Bad executable (or shared library)
>
>This isn't the path to the slimserver.pl script... It's here:
>
>/Users/dean/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl
>
>(or if you have it installed for all users it's
>/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefpane/...

Ah, OK. My memory was that it was the Unix executable file SlimServer
one had to run, but evidently I was wrong.

We're getting closer to making AlienBBC work, as it seems ok now when
running from the command line. This suggests that mplayer.sh isn't
finding mplayer. But what do I do to check that this is the problem.
I remember having that issue before,when I didn't have mplayer in a
good location and had to point mplayer.sh to it, but I thought we had
established that a special pointer was not needed if mplayer was in
/usr/local/bin. There was a change of shell in my new installation
(because it is a new machine, bash is the default, whereas tcsh was
the default on my old machine) which may have an effect.
--
Daniel Cohen

Greg Klanderman
2005-08-18, 16:11
>>>>> Daniel Cohen <danco (AT) f2s (DOT) com> writes:

> We're getting closer to making AlienBBC work, as it seems ok now when running
> from the command line. This suggests that mplayer.sh isn't finding mplayer. But
> what do I do to check that this is the problem. I remember having that issue
> before,when I didn't have mplayer in a good location and had to point mplayer.sh
> to it, but I thought we had established that a special pointer was not needed if
> mplayer was in /usr/local/bin. There was a change of shell in my new
> installation (because it is a new machine, bash is the default, whereas tcsh was
> the default on my old machine) which may have an effect.

Daniel, I don't know anything about AlienBBC, but maybe my unix
knowledge can help.. is /usr/local/bin (or wherever mplayer is
located) on your path? You can type "echo $PATH" from the bash prompt
to print the path, which will be a colon (":") separated list of
directories. You might find it easier to read if you use

echo $PATH | tr : '\n'

this will change the colons into newlines to make reading the path
contents easier. You should probably test this logged in as whichever
user runs slimserver..

greg

danco
2005-08-18, 23:29
On 18/8/05 at 19:11 -0400, Greg Klanderman wrote
>Daniel, I don't know anything about AlienBBC, but maybe my unix
>knowledge can help.. is /usr/local/bin (or wherever mplayer is
>located) on your path?

Thanks. You are right, as I found out yesterday. The reason I had
trouble is that for some odd reason Apple did not include
/usr/local/bin as a possible path in new installations whereas they
did on old ones (and on upgrades of old ones). So something that used
to work, and does work for many people, no longer worked.
--
Daniel Cohen