PDA

View Full Version : suggestion from a new SB2 fan boy

hal9000
2005-08-15, 22:43
Since installing my first SB2 a month ago I have become a huge fan of the product. However, I manage my mp3 library through iTunes and I have been wrestling for a while with the integration of 6.1.1 and iTunes...playlists not showing up...libraries not synched with iTunes...etc...etc

Then..the sky opened up and I stumbled upon the iTunes plugin! Now everything seems to be working great (at least for the last few days).

Suggestion: When you install 6.1.1 could "are you going to use iTunes to manage your library?" question be added so that if someone answers "yes" then the appropriate plug in would intall automatically. I have reinstalled 6.1.1 a few times now and havent noticed this in the set up.

hal

Craig, James (IT)
2005-08-16, 03:01
Hal,
The 'iTunes' plugin (the one that reads the iTunes library into
SlimServer) is already part of the standard installation.
It should automatically detect if you have iTunes installed and enable
itself - if this is not the case it's a new bug.
(I noticed this no longer working in 6.2 but not in 6.1?)

However this does not always work, especially if you're a Windows user
who has moved the iTunes XML, and there is already a bug open for this.

James

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of hal9000
Sent: 16 August 2005 06:43
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] suggestion from a new SB2 fan boy

Since installing my first SB2 a month ago I have become a huge fan of
the product. However, I manage my mp3 library through iTunes and I
have been wrestling for a while with the integration of 6.1.1 and
iTunes...playlists not showing up...libraries not synched with
iTunes...etc...etc

Then..the sky opened up and I stumbled upon the iTunes plugin! Now
everything seems to be working great (at least for the last few days).

Suggestion: When you install 6.1.1 could "are you going to use iTunes
to manage your library?" question be added so that if someone answers
"yes" then the appropriate plug in would intall automatically. I have
reinstalled 6.1.1 a few times now and havent noticed this in the set
up.

hal

--
hal9000

hal9000
2005-08-16, 14:29
Yeah unfortunately for me the SB2 server software didn't work right with iTunes until I downloaded the "iTunes Update" plug-in. After I downloaded and installed the plug-in, a check box appeared at the very bottom in my "Server Settings" asking whether I wanted to enable iTunes as my library manager. After I checked that box and restarted everything has worked like a dream.

I reinstalled 6.1.1 about three times during the course of trying to figure out why I couldn't get my iTunes playlists to show up in SB2 or my SB2 library to properly synch with iTunes. Nothing worked until I installed the iTunes Update plug-in. Hope this helps...I'm just happy everything is working right..I just ordered my 3rd SB2!

thanks,
hal

Craig, James (IT)
2005-08-17, 01:58
Most intriguing.
I can guarantee you it wasn't the iTunes Update plugin that fixed it for
you - having written it myself!

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

hal9000
2005-08-17, 22:20
Must be something to do with my set up if no one else is reporting similar issues. I can't imagine what this could be though since my iTunes preferences are default.

There was one odd thing that kept happening to me when I was trying to fix this issue. I thought maybe my Slim Server database file might be corrupt. I shut down the SS software and disabled the application in my system tray. When I tried to delete the SS database file I received an error message that another application was using the database file and I could not delete it. This is why I uninstalled/reinstalled 6.1.1 so many times. I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue but it got me thinking maybe there was a conflict with another application or another instance of the SS server software that I couldn't see?

It's fixed and life is good..thanks for the responses.

hal