PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut commands for Slimserver?



Yannzola
2005-08-15, 13:19
I realize that this would be difficult to implement accross platforms, but would it be possible for Slimserver to respond to keyboard shortcut commands...? For instance:
Play or pause a file. CTRL+P
Stop playback. CTRL+S
Mute the volume. F8
Increase the volume. F10
Decrease the volume. F9
Play the previous item. CTRL+B
Play the next item. CTRL+F
Rewind. CTRL+SHIFT+B
Fast-forward. CTRL+SHIFT+F

I know many new PC keyboards now come standard with the above mapped volume, stop, play pause, etc. "media" buttons. It would be nifty if you could use these keyboard buttons to operate Slimserver directly...


y.

Aaron Zinck
2005-08-15, 13:48
> I realize that this would be difficult to implement accross platforms,
> but would it be possible for Slimserver to respond to keyboard shortcut
> commands...? For instance:
> Play or pause a file. CTRL+P
> Stop playback. CTRL+S
> Mute the volume. F8
> Increase the volume. F10
> Decrease the volume. F9
> Play the previous item. CTRL+B
> Play the next item. CTRL+F
> Rewind. CTRL+SHIFT+B
> Fast-forward. CTRL+SHIFT+F
>
> I know many new keyboards now come with standard with mapped volume,
> stop, play pause, "media" buttons etc. It would be nifty if you could
> use these keyboard buttons to operate Slimserver directly...

I suppose it'd be possible to do this with a clever javascript skin though
that may be tricky.

There is an interim solution, however (while you're waiting for someone to
take on that project):

What you could do (if you have just one specific player that you want to
execute those commands on), is use Girder which could easily be set up to
take advantage of Slimserver's CLI so as to get the exact functionality
you're requesting. If you do this with Girder then you'll need to be
careful--either construct the macros so that they do a check and only
execute if slimserver or some other designated app is in the foreground, or
remember that if you use the shortcuts while in another program that you may
run into deleterious effects as, say, your playback stops (CTRL + S) but you
also save over the top of that spreadsheet you were working on. You get the
picture...

Jacob Potter
2005-08-15, 15:12
On 8/15/05, Aaron Zinck <azinck3 (AT) ufl (DOT) edu> wrote:
> I suppose it'd be possible to do this with a clever javascript skin though
> that may be tricky.

There are keyboard shortcuts in ExBrowse2 and Default2:
Z - previous
X - play/pause
C - play/pause
V - stop
B - next
R - toggle repeat
S - toggle shuffle
-, = - volume down and up

- Jacob

Aaron Zinck
2005-08-15, 15:19
> I suppose it'd be possible to do this with a clever javascript skin though
> that may be tricky.

> There are keyboard shortcuts in ExBrowse2 and Default2:
> Z - previous
> X - play/pause
> C - play/pause
> V - stop
> B - next
> R - toggle repeat
> S - toggle shuffle
> -, = - volume down and up

> - Jacob



haha...well, you *are* a tricky one, Mr. Potter...nicely done...I haven't
had a chance to play around with your (apparently very well done) skins
since I'm still running 5.4 (I need my rhapsody...)

Yannzola
2005-08-15, 16:15
There are keyboard shortcuts in ExBrowse2 and Default2:
Z - previous
X - play/pause
C - play/pause
V - stop
B - next
R - toggle repeat
S - toggle shuffle
-, = - volume down and up

- Jacob

Jacob,
Do you happen to know offhand where these keyboard shortcuts are specified in your code? Is it something I could edit myself for testing purposes (uncompiled plaintext)?

Thanks!

y.