PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze flaky with Live365 streams, Squeeze Network sound streams

Bradley
2005-08-12, 06:27
Found a problem with Softsqueeze that causes it not to play a stream even though it says it's "Now playing".

This seems to happen with virtually all Live365 streams as well as the Squeeze Network's Natural Sounds. The problem does not happen with RadioIO or Shoutcast.

On the same streams I also noticed that the player sometimes gets hung up around the elapsed time mark 04:14. Then it just sits there (no sound) and says Now Playing 04:14 Now Playing 04:13 Now Playing 04:14 Now Playing 04:13. Looping again and again on the display.

There is a work around to get it to play -- clicking the pause button once or twice (after you know the stream is already buffered), usually will get the stream going.

I normally wouldn't notice this problem (I just moved and my squeezeboxes are still packed), but I'm using Softsqueeze on my PC a lot until I fully unpack and setup my SB's and stereos.

Anyway, I hope this can be fixed easily. I'm currently using Softsqueeze 2.0b11 (but it also happened on 2.0-10

*Bradley

sbjaerum
2005-08-15, 11:21
Found a problem with Softsqueeze that causes it not to play a stream even though it says it's "Now playing".

This seems to happen with virtually all Live365 streams as well as the Squeeze Network's Natural Sounds. The problem does not happen with RadioIO or Shoutcast.

On the same streams I also noticed that the player sometimes gets hung up around the elapsed time mark 04:14. Then it just sits there (no sound) and says Now Playing 04:14 Now Playing 04:13 Now Playing 04:14 Now Playing 04:13. Looping again and again on the display.

There is a work around to get it to play -- clicking the pause button once or twice (after you know the stream is already buffered), usually will get the stream going.

I normally wouldn't notice this problem (I just moved and my squeezeboxes are still packed), but I'm using Softsqueeze on my PC a lot until I fully unpack and setup my SB's and stereos.

Anyway, I hope this can be fixed easily. I'm currently using Softsqueeze 2.0b11 (but it also happened on 2.0-10

*Bradley

When playing Natural Sounds from SqueezeNetwork on Softsqueeze with the following audio settings

Audio mixer: Primary Sound Driver
Audio buffer size: 128000
MP3 Decoder: Java MP3 Plugin

the audio soon mutes, and I get repeatedly 'Connecting to play:' messages. The visualizer sometimes run even though there is no audio. In the Softsqueeze console, I get lots of these messages:
505562 [AudioMixer-0] WARN javasound - Java Sound Audio buffer underrun bufAvail=754688

When changing the audio settings to:

Audio mixer: Primary Sound Driver
Audio buffer size: 128000
MP3 Decoder: JLayer

the Natural Sounds play without problems.

I am running Softsquezze from svn version 3973 on WinXP.

Any thoughts about this behavior?

Steinar

Bradley
2005-08-16, 11:43
I tried switching from Java MP3 Plugin to JLayer, but I'm still seeing the same problem I had before. On Live 365, the stream won't start playing unless: after clicking play and waiting a few seconds for the stream to start buffering, you toggle to pause and then un-pause. Then it plays fine.

So still the problem originally described is still there.

*Bradley

sbjaerum
2005-08-16, 11:54
I tried switching from Java MP3 Plugin to JLayer, but I'm still seeing the same problem I had before. On Live 365, the stream won't start playing unless: after clicking play and waiting a few seconds for the stream to start buffering, you toggle to pause and then un-pause. Then it plays fine.

So still the problem originally described is still there.

*Bradley

Do you get any messages in the SoftSqueeze console?
Sounds like a buffer problem. Try to enable the debug options for Audio Buffer and look at the output in the console.

When testing with the Natural Sounds, I get buffer underruns with Java MP3 Plugin but not with JLayer.

Steinar