PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked-SB2, some pictures

Michel Fombellida
2005-08-12, 03:45
Hi all,

Four pictures of my tweaked SB2:

1) inside the external linear PS (it feeds the SB2 with 4 individual voltage lines: 3.3V, 5.0V, 5.0V and 9.0V),

2) inside the SB2 (new S/PDIF output on Lundhal transformer, internal clocks replaced by external clocks, power supply coming from the external unit). Note only the digital side had been tweaked (I am not using the analog outputs).

3) new connectors: one S/PDIF output and two word clock inputs,

4) together - closed.

The SB2 is now clocked from an external clock (I use the iclock from Mutec). It works beautifully (both with 44.1 and 48khz).

My plan to synchronise all my digital units from the same external clock (the SB2 was the first one).

Michel

gandt
2005-08-12, 05:42
How does it sound? As much detail as you can manage please!

Michel Fombellida
2005-08-12, 05:53
Hi,

At the moment, I have not done any critical listening yet as the PS still need break-in time. All I can say right now (almost out of the box) is that the sound is excellent.

Note I also have a non-tweaked SB2 so I shall be able to do A/B tests... but this will not be before the end of the month (I am going abroad this w-e for 2 weeks).

Note that the external clock will make very little difference at this stage (at the moment I only have one single unit, the SB2, getting its clock from an external clock), but later all the digital units in my system will get a clock input and will all be synchronised from the same external clock. Only then I should be able to get benefit from clock sync... time will tell (but I know some other audiophiles with clock synced systems - not SB2 though).

Michel

occam
2005-08-12, 07:42
Michel,

Very nice.
Why did you choose a toroidal transformer for your external ps?
Unless you've used a very expensive interwinding shielded tranny (or an even more expensive Plitron Lo-No), the high bandwidth and capacitive coupling of the toroid is going to let substantial line noise through.
To those who say that the ps regulators will deal with that, I can only respond - "piffle, you obviously haven't bothered to empirically verify your assumptions".
Try a split bobbin or flathead multibobbin transformer.

Michel Fombellida
2005-08-12, 09:30
Hi occam,

I didn't do it myself... I got a pro to do it for me (www.db-system.ms) and they have quite a lot of experience with linear PS, I'll ask them what kind of transformer they use.

Michel

WK446
2005-08-12, 21:14
Michel:

That's quite the "hot rod" you have there. I bet you can't wait till 'she breaks in...

Michel Fombellida
2005-08-13, 00:05
That's quite the "hot rod" you have there. I bet you can't wait till 'she breaks in...

Yes indeed, as I am going abroad for 2 weeks tomorrow, I'll let it run during that time.

Attached 2 pictures of some other components in my system.

Michel

WK446
2005-08-13, 00:22
Nice Spider racks! Oh, the Tact stuff is pretty nice too!

Yes indeed, as I am going abroad for 2 weeks tomorrow, I'll let it run during that time.

Michel

Old Guy
2005-08-13, 21:47
Hi,

Let me chime in. I also got SB2 modified by the same company as Michel's did. I had him even make a Master Clock, which is used also for my modified TacT RCS. DAC is Reimyo DAP-777 (stock, without clock sync).

The sound so far:
- Sharper and clearer sound. As if a veil has been lifted. The maginitude is very subjective, but to me, the improvement is reasonably big.
- Wife, who has no idea what is what about my system (she likes classical music, but not interested in audio), also instantly detected the difference and she liked the modified SB2 sound. Normal SB2 and modified SB2 were connected to RCS and I played the same track, just switched the digital input back and forth (again, she did not know which is which). She made the similar comment as mine above (I had not commented anything before her)and added, "very different". (we should never underestimate the sensitivity of women's ear :-)

I am planning to have my Reimyo DAC modified by them so that my digital front end would be fully synched.

For details for his mod (yes, SB2 mod and Master Clock are both prototype), like Michel mentioned, it would be best to ask db-system.ms directly. And, no, I am not affiliated with them. I am in US, and db is in France, near Nice. I don't even speak French but he speaks English :-)

Michel Fombellida
2005-08-31, 06:09
Hi all,

After 2 weeks of burn-in for the new power supply, I just did an A/B test (tweaked SB2 vs non-tweaked SB2 both connected directly to my TacT TCS2).

I am happy to confirm "Old Guy"'s report! The sound of the tweaked SB2 is indeed clearer and more detailled, I could indeed say that the comparison of the lifted veil is quite appropriate.

What about the magnitude of the change: this is indeed quite subjective, in my setup the impact is definitely noticeable but I would say less than what I experienced when I added an external power supply to my TacT TCS2 which shows that out of the box the SB2 is excellent! However, for me there is no way back.

Note that an important difference as compared to "Old Guy"'s setup is that my tweaked SB2 is using the iclock as an external clock but it is not synchronised with any other elements yet (the iclock is a the moment only feeding the SB2). In his setup the TacT RCS 2.2x is also synchronised and he uses a different master clock.

Also note that in my setup, I cannot distinguish the impact of the external PS and the external clock: an external PS can be installed alone but once the Word Clock inputs are installed they cannot be bypassed.

Cheers,
Michel

Jetlag
2006-01-22, 10:26
Curious as to the pricing of these mods?

Michel Fombellida
2006-01-26, 12:46
Curious as to the pricing of these mods?

The best is to ask db-system, mine was the first prototype and the production price was not finalised. BTW, it is still working fine and I know one more user in the UK who is very happy with it as well.

krzys
2006-01-26, 13:17
The problem with those guys is that they do not respond to mails. I sent them two mails (in French to make it easier) and never got a response...
Chris

Michel Fombellida
2006-01-26, 15:21
Weird, I am in regular email contact with him... I'll ask him to check.

krzys
2006-01-27, 06:33
Michel I can send you copies of my messages if needed.
Chris

EnochLight
2006-01-27, 12:15

Michel

I love your A/V rack! What are they called and where can I get `em?

Michel Fombellida
2006-01-27, 12:34
I love your A/V rack! What are they called and where can I get `em?

The racks are from a German brand called Finite-Elemente: http://www.finite-elemente.de/ the rack itself is called Spider.

Michel

Michel Fombellida
2006-01-27, 12:37
Michel I can send you copies of my messages if needed.
Chris

Chris, you have a PM.
Michel