PDA

View Full Version : Direct wireless connection to SB2

808htfan
2005-08-11, 17:44
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an SB2 to connect to my notebook and receiver. I don't have a network setup, but do have a minipci wireless card (b/g) in my notebook. Is it difficult to connect directly to the SB2 via a wireless card?

I don't have much networking experience, but am not a newbie. With that said, how do you set up a direct wireless connection?

Thanks!

dean
2005-08-11, 20:18
You'll need to set up your wireless network card to use "Ad Hoc"
networking, which sets up a peer-to-peer wireless network. Then use
the Squeezebox to select that network and you should be connected.

-dean

On Aug 11, 2005, at 5:44 PM, 808htfan wrote:

>
> Hi, I'm thinking of getting an SB2 to connect to my notebook and
> receiver. I don't have a network setup, but do have a minipci
> wireless
> card (b/g) in my notebook. Is it difficult to connect directly to the
> SB2 via a wireless card?
>
> I don't have much networking experience, but am not a newbie. With
> that said, how do you set up a direct wireless connection?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> 808htfan
>

Fifer
2005-08-12, 00:27
That's how I initially set up my original SB1 before I installed my wireless router in the house. It's very straight forward to set up and works perfectly.

808htfan
2005-08-12, 16:28
Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds easy enough.

Anyone out there that has/had trouble doing this, please post any tips you think might help me.

Thanks again!

808htfan
2005-08-19, 18:04
I now have my SB2 working nicely but am having trouble securing my ad hoc/peer-to-peer/direct connection.

Is WPA/WEP allowed with this type of network? Using Windows Zero Config, the only secure options are WPA-None (PSK is missing) w/ TKIP or AES. Or Open/Shared w/ WEP. WPA (TKIP or AES) will not connect. And there seems to be only 24 digits to insert my WEP password, which I've read must be 26 digits (hex). BTW, my wireless card is the Intel 2200bg.

So I'm wondering, with file and print sharing disabled, are other files on my HD vulnerable while my connection is alive? And how can I enable at least WEP?

Thanks!

Edit:
It seems I can get 64-bit WEP working, but why not 128-bit? Is there a reason only 24 digits are available instead of 26?

MrC
2005-08-19, 19:13
You can do WPA-PSK, and should. Using the much less secure WEP is a bad idea if you have neighbors - your connection can be cracked rather trivially.

I recall only seeing the lack of WPA-PSK when using either the software that comes with the card, or no WPA at all pre-SP1 or WPA patch.

Make sure you are using Windows to control the wireless connection. Properties on the wireless card's network connections, and select the Allow windows to manage this device (or something like that - don't have one in front of my at the moment).

808htfan
2005-08-19, 19:30
Thanks for the reply.

Right, the software that came with it doesn't show WPA at all.

Using Windows to create the network, when I select the 'This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network...' box, WPA-PSK disappears and 'WPA-None' replaces it. If I don't check that box, WPA-PSK stays. BTW, I don't have a router. Also, I'm on XP Pro SP1a. What else can I do?

Thanks!

I'm off to look up the WPA patch...

MrC
2005-08-19, 19:44
Update to SP2.

808htfan
2005-08-19, 19:59
While looking for the patch, which I found I already had installed, I saw this page http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx#EDAA.
Basically, it says 'To secure your ad hoc mode home or small business wireless network, you must use open system authentication and WEP encryption.' and goes on to provide an example with SP2, SP1, etc. Is it now possible to use WPA-PSK instead of WEP over an ad-hoc network? Reminder, I don't have a router or WAP and would like to avoid buying one if possible.

Thanks again!

MrC
2005-08-20, 16:50
808htfan, you are correct, there is no PSK in ad-hoc mode. My apologies.

Try WPA-none. If you cannot get that to work, and don't care about security much, you can use WEP if you really want.

808htfan
2005-08-20, 17:08
MrC, thanks for following up.
I guess I'm stuck with WEP for now, WPA-None won't connect. I do, however, only turn on my connection when I listen to something. My wireless card is off the rest of the time.
BTW, would anyone know if that's bad for the SB2 in any way?
Back to my other question, Is there a reason I can't enter 26 digits for a 128-bit WEP password? There are only 24 spaces showing?

Edit:
Doh!!! forget about that password thing!

808htfan
2005-08-20, 18:03
Ya, forget about that password deal! I feel like such a dope. 128-bit WEP now working.

About leaving my connection off most of the time and only turning on my wireless card when I listen to something...the SB2 is plugged in all the time, regardless of whether or not it has something to connect to. Is that harmful in any way?

Thanks!

Edit:
Just saw your post below, MrC.

MrC
2005-08-20, 18:03
MrC, thanks for following up.
I guess I'm stuck with WEP for now, WPA-None won't connect.
BTW, would anyone know if that's bad for the SB2 in any way?
You're welcome.

You won't hurt SB2 by enable/disabling the net.

I do, however, only turn on my connection when I listen to something. My wireless card is off the rest of the time.
Is that like "The only time I don't wear condoms is when I'm having relations?" :-)

Jimbo2005
2005-10-10, 09:02
I need to set up my wireless network card to use "Ad Hoc"
networking as I don't have a wireless network already. How do I do this?

Dave

MrC
2005-10-10, 09:20
You change settings on your AP and your network card config. Which platform are you on (windows, linux, macos)?

Jimbo2005
2005-10-10, 09:49
I'm using Windows XP. What is my AP?
I've found a check box labelled 'This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used' in Network Connections. It looks like I should check this box but it's greyed out and won't let me check it!

MrC
2005-10-10, 09:58
I'm using Windows XP. What is my AP?
I've found a check box labelled 'This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used' in Network Connections. It looks like I should check this box but it's greyed out and won't let me check it!

AP = Acess Point (your wireless gadget, typically a wireless access point / router applicance).

The checkbox you found is the correct one to use. Create a new wireless connection by using the Add button in your Wireless Network setup. You should be able to select it there. These are just "profiles" that group a series of configuration settings together. You can create as many as you like, and tailor to your needs.

Connect to your AP also (via its Web interface) and change any setting(s) required to also go into Ad hoc mode. You'll have to search your AP's documentation, or its configuration web pages.

808htfan
2005-10-10, 17:21
Jimbo,

I also found this link, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx#EDAA
if you need it.

Have you got it all set up now?

Jimbo2005
2005-10-11, 07:35
Yes I've got my Squeezebox up and running and it sounds good. Thanks for your help. I am now trying to set up the WEP security but don't know where to find a network key. My wireless network card came ready installed in the PC and I have no documentation which tells me about a network key. The card is a Ralink RT 2500 USB Wireless LAN card.

Any ideas?

MrC
2005-10-11, 08:18
You need to set one up in the Windows Wireless Network control panel. Right click you Wireless connection, select Properties, and go to the Wireless network tab. You'll see your wireless network setup config listed below (and possibly a list of other discovered networks). Select and modify your setup (the one that matches your SSID). Select WEP from the list, and make similar changes to the SB.

808htfan
2005-10-11, 16:16
Another note BTW, the WEP pass has to be a 26-digit hex pass, letters or numbers 0-9 and/or A-F. At least I think it does...