PDA

View Full Version : Installed SlimServer on Terrastation

lordboots
2005-08-11, 10:12
So, I grabbed the new "open" firmware for my Terrastation at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm
and followed the directions at
http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html
to install slim server, and the Terrastation is now my best friend. The Slim Server runs well on it, and I'm seeing no problems with a fairly big library (6000 CDs at around ~400GB). It's way nicer for me to not have to have to rely on a PC to deal with the library and SlimServer.

Dave

Dave Edwards
2005-08-11, 15:41
Dave,

This is very interesting - I didn't know that SlimServer could be installed on a Terastation.

Is there a good recovery path on a Terastation if anything goes wrong?

I've installed SlimServer on a Linksys NSLU2 but I knew if anything went wrong there, it was simply a case of reflashing the device and formatting the HDD.

With the Terastation, I understood that the drives were preinstalled with some software. So, if something goes wrong, do you end up with a useless, dead $1,000 Terastation? Also, is it easy to recover the flash if something goes wrong there?

Thanks,

Dave Edwards

lordboots
2005-08-11, 18:25
I'm not sure what would happen if you killed your terrastation, but I would guess it shouldn't be too hard to recover. My guess would be that you should be able to flash the thing. I haven't had to recover a dead terrastation yet. The one thing that I consider is this: It's a RAID, so if a drive dies, it'll need to recover itself somehow. The O/S is actually in the / directory of it, then the raid and other stuff is in the /mnt/array1 area (or /mnt/usbdisk1), so I installed the slimserver under /mnt/array1/Space/slimserver (space is the name of the share on Array1).

I know that there was a bad binary out there for version 1.08, and the folks that tried to install that version had it boot up with the error light flashing, and the remedy was to install good firmware on it, and it worked again (but this is only what I've heard, your mileage may vary).

Dave

nano2nd
2005-08-12, 05:01
Dave,

I agree with you - the NSLU2 is a lot smaller an investment to worry about when hacking firmware etc.

How are you finding the performance of your NSLU2? I've set one up and the menu navigation from the SB2 is definitely slower than when I was running Slimserver on OS X. After testing with a handful of albums, I'm in the process of copying the rest of my music over (~10000 songs).

Based on what people have said about rescan issues with Slimserver 6.1.1 I've opted for 6.0.2. Have you found rescans to be particularly slow? I think tonight I'm going to crack the NSLU2 open and up the processing speed - this I hope will have a positive impact on both scans and menu navigation...

rouge
2005-08-12, 07:25
hi folks

just 4 your information, i managed to install the slimserver on my LaCie Ethernet disk ( http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10174 ). it works fine with my ca.400 GB Library (mp3, shn, Flac)
ok, i had to add some RAM to get a good performance.... ;)

cheers
rouge

Pantau
2005-08-13, 01:03
@lordboots
I installed the slimeserver on a Terastaion too.
My library is about the same size as yours. Playback performance is ok, but I noticed some delay when I'm browsing the library (up to 10 s delay until the box rsponses). Don't you have the same effect ?
Cheers Beat.

Dave Edwards
2005-08-13, 01:34
nano2nd,
Performance of the NSLU2 is very good so far but I'm only running a small percentage of my flac collection (~1000 tracks). I am currently copying another 2500 tracks of data over. I'll let you know how it goes after that. The NSLU2 isn't quick at rescanning - it will probably take most of the day to scan the library!

I would be very interested to hear which NAS gives the best perfromance for SlimServer with a large library. I've looked at the Terastation, Linkstation and ReadyNAS before and that Lacie box also looks interesting.

rouge,
How did you upgrade the memory of the Lacie device - is it just a standard memory module? I assume that it is only the rack mounted version that can run SlimServer and not the "mini" version.

Dave

rouge
2005-08-13, 05:23
yep, it's the rack version. it is standard PC-133 SDRAM, but you better take a not so heigh model. there isn't a lot of space...

there is also an pci slot you can use (i add usb2 inside), but u need a special 90 angle conector in addition.

don't know exactly but it takes me about 2-3 hours for a complete scan.

it really runs fine once setup and it's always a pleasure to have the squeezebox ready (well, sometimes it's a hassle with the nightly builds ;) ).

cheers
rouge

netim3
2005-08-14, 15:37
I'm using SlimServer and have my library on a TerraStation. However, I also use Telcanto as a PocketPC remote browsing/control solution and I use plugins such as AlienBBC, AlbumReview & Biography. Can these plugins still be incorporated on a TerraStation install?

tks

Natan

mherger
2005-08-15, 11:59
> I'm using SlimServer and have my library on a TerraStation. However, I
> also use Telcanto as a PocketPC remote browsing/control solution and I
> use plugins such as AlienBBC, AlbumReview & Biography. Can these
> plugins still be incorporated on a TerraStation install?

They can, but you might need to install some additional perl modules. They
both use HTML::FormatText which is imho not contained in a default perl
installation.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

netim3
2005-08-31, 16:08
When you say "install additional perl modules"...

Do you mean to install these onto the Terastation?
Does that mean that there are already some Perl modules on there?

And more generally (and I'm showing what a newby I am), how on earth does one begin to install software to run on the Terastation itself?

tks

Natan

earthbased
2005-12-12, 10:59
So, I grabbed the new "open" firmware for my Terrastation at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm
and followed the directions at
http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html
to install slim server, and the Terrastation is now my best friend. The Slim Server runs well on it, and I'm seeing no problems with a fairly big library (6000 CDs at around ~400GB). It's way nicer for me to not have to have to rely on a PC to deal with the library and SlimServer.

Dave

I was origianlly lookin at the Terastation back April 2005 but it reportedly had performance issues back then when running SlimServer. Are these problems fixed it the newest Terastation version?