PDA

View Full Version : Software Roadmap - User profiles?

JJZolx
2005-08-10, 11:41
I would guess that individual user profiles and prefs are a fairly major undertaking. Are they on the roadmap anywhere?

dean
2005-08-10, 11:49
They aren't now, but I'd love to hear discussion about how they might
work.

On Aug 10, 2005, at 11:41 AM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> I would guess that individual user profiles and prefs are a fairly
> major
> undertaking. Are they on the roadmap anywhere?
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
>

fuzzyT
2005-08-10, 12:22
dean blackketter wrote:
> They aren't now, but I'd love to hear discussion about how they might
> work.

OK, I'll take a shot at it.

0) Assemble List of Use Cases (lengthy)

1) Define basic Use Cases Types
-Server administration actions
-User administratrion actions
-Library management actions
-Playback actions

2) Define User Roles
-Server Admin
-User
-Others? (parent? guest?)

3) Assign Use Case Types to User Roles
-Server Admin: SA actions, UA actions, LM actions, PB actions
-User: LM actions, PB actions

4) Assign all possible Use Cases to a Use Case Type

Ship SS with pre-defined roles and one default user of type SA

Allow option for just using SA account w/o any login, or w/ basic login
(as it is now)

Allow option to add users of either type, w/ password.

Use pwd login to web interface

Filter web interface options by user

Allow multiple library paths, with at least one per user.

User manages and plays independent library.

Shared libraries allowed by 1:n user:library assignment.

Track source library in track db on scan

Filter by source library in interfaces

Add player menu to "choose user" (probably no password here)

Player UI filters to just selected user's library, settings prefs, etc.

Allow each player's web interface control to be restricted to subsets of
users (sister's room, brother's room)

Prevent web interface from controlling players owned by other users
(unless SA or Parent)

More...

--rt

JJZolx
2005-08-10, 12:30
They aren't now, but I'd love to hear discussion about how they might work.
One of the biggest issues seems to be the music libary, so individuals would each need either the ability to designate there own Music and Playlists folders, or else the ability to supress any album or track in the library whenever they're logged in. But really, most prefs should be individualized - from the interface and behavior to formatting and streaming conversion.

You'd need an admin account with the ability to create individual user accounts. The admin should have the choice of requiring user logins with or without a password. If no passwords are reqired then you might present a screen similar to XP Home, where the user just selects from a list of user accounts.

Any prefs that can't or shouldn't be individualized would be available in server settings only for the admin.

It's when you get to prefs for the players on the network that things get sticky. Do you have user/player prefs? Maybe. Or you might move some player prefs to user prefs, like Display and Menu settings. Then you'd be trading the ability to set individualize player behavior for the ability for users to each customize player behavior.

There's also the issue of playback control. If John is in his room playing music, should Suzy have the ability to wipe out his playlist and play something else? Currently there's no two ways about it, if she can pull up SlimServer then she can do what she wants with any player on the network. Maybe introduce the idea of player ownership. The admin can say who 'owns' a player - if John owns the player in his room, then nobody else can play music through it and it can't be synched to any other. On the other hand, if nobody owns a player, then it's open to anyone.

Craig
2005-08-10, 13:46
I'd like to see a facility to set up a player to your liking and then save it as a default setup, then any additional players would have the option of loading your defaults and keeping all the players the same.

I can see Jim's point too but in my case there's just me and 3 SB's in the house.

Craig

fuzzyT
2005-08-10, 13:59
dean blackketter wrote:
> They aren't now, but I'd love to hear discussion about how they might
> work.

[resending as it never showed...]

OK, I'll take a shot at it.

0) Assemble List of Use Cases (lengthy)

1) Define basic Use Cases Types
-Server administration actions
-User administratrion actions
-Library management actions
-Playback actions

2) Define User Roles
-Server Admin
-User
-Others? (parent? guest?)

3) Assign Use Case Types to User Roles
-Server Admin: SA actions, UA actions, LM actions, PB actions
-User: LM actions, PB actions

4) Assign all possible Use Cases to a Use Case Type

Ship SS with pre-defined roles and one default user of type SA

Allow option for just using SA account w/o any login, or w/ basic login
(as it is now)

Allow option to add users of either type, w/ password.

Use pwd login to web interface

Filter web interface options by user

Allow multiple library paths, with at least one per user.

User manages and plays independent library.

Shared libraries allowed by 1:n user:library assignment.

Track source library in track db on scan

Filter by source library in interfaces

Add player menu to "choose user" (probably no password here)

Player UI filters to just selected user's library, settings prefs, etc.

Allow each player's web interface control to be restricted to subsets of
users (sister's room, brother's room)

Prevent web interface from controlling players owned by other users
(unless SA or Parent)

More...

--rt

interspectrum
2005-08-14, 13:22
I would like user profiles so I could better manage my music collection. I have a lot of english and spanish music. Most of my spanish music is Mexican in origin. There are times when I only want to see the english music and others when I feel like just the Mexican music. Both music types have different genres that do to cross over and it is hard to manage just by using genres. English is setup with Rock, rap, jazz, blues, bluegrass, ect. and my spanish music is latin pop, norteno, banda, mariachi, etc.

If I could have a user profile for english and another for spanish and then another that contained both, that would solve a lot of music management problems.

Koning53
2009-02-04, 01:22
I'm looking for a solution to separate the music collections of my girlfriend and myself.

She has about 50 albums, I have about 400.. She really likes to browse through her songs. As soon as I add my collection this experience is replaced by searching for her songs.

I'm thinking of running 2 squeezecenters for now - or does anyone has any better ideas?

thanks!

funkstar
2009-02-04, 06:53
This might do what you are looking for:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Multi_Library_plugin

(there wasn't any need to bump a 3 1/2 year old thread was there?)

Koning53
2009-02-04, 07:02
Thanks! and sorry for the bumb.. I'm new and just trying to catch up with the squeezecenter world :-)

MeSue
2009-02-04, 11:40
I'm looking for a solution to separate the music collections of my girlfriend and myself.

She has about 50 albums, I have about 400.. She really likes to browse through her songs. As soon as I add my collection this experience is replaced by searching for her songs.

I'm thinking of running 2 squeezecenters for now - or does anyone has any better ideas?

thanks!

I tagged my husband's music with a special tag in the comments. Then using the Custom Browse plugin, he can browse a menu of only his stuff. This is an alternative to Multi-library plug, which has already been suggested. If you already have them in separate directories, the ML plugin is probably better.