PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver "browse albums" gives two entries for same album

boybees
2005-08-09, 03:51
Example: I rip Eels "Beautiful Freak" into FLAC using EAC. EAC puts all the tracks into a folder entitled "Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)".

I then rescan my music library with Slimserver. When I then go to "Browse Albums" it give me two entries: "Beautiful Freak" and "Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)". So it's picking up the name of the folder created by EAC as a separate album.

Obviously, I'd like to see only one entry per album. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mherger
2005-08-10, 13:33
> I then rescan my music library with Slimserver. When I then go to
> "Browse Albums" it give me two entries: "Beautiful Freak" and "Eels -
> Beautiful Freak (1996)". So it's picking up the name of the folder
> created by EAC as a separate album.

Does EAC create playlists containing all songs of an album? If yes, remove
one of them, rescan and check whether the album is still doubled.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

boybees
2005-08-10, 19:11
What you suggest below is not the problem. The problem is that Slimserver sees a folder as a song, album, or artist. Any folder appears this way. If I create a music folder without ANY folders or subdirectories, then I don't have this problem. However, a single folder containing thousands of songs without any organizing structure is not a good solution.

I know others are not having this problem. There's a huge thread at Hydrogen Audio about preferred folder structures, and no one is complaining about the problem I'm having. BTW, I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of slimserver, and still the problem remains.

> I then rescan my music library with Slimserver. When I then go to
> "Browse Albums" it give me two entries: "Beautiful Freak" and "Eels -
> Beautiful Freak (1996)". So it's picking up the name of the folder
> created by EAC as a separate album.

Does EAC create playlists containing all songs of an album? If yes, remove
one of them, rescan and check whether the album is still doubled.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

radish
2005-08-11, 08:11
I think the suggestion was that it might not be getting the extra entry from the folder name but from a playlist (which has the same name as the folder). It's worth checking to see if you have playlists in there as was suggested. If not, then we'll think again :)

boybees
2005-08-11, 09:07
I browsed playlists and there were none listed, so I think that eliminates the playlist explanation.

More information: I went in and edited the "guess tags" and took out all the default geussing schemes. Now Slimserver Browse Albums, instead of picking up the folder as "Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)" is picking it up as "No Album".

I think the suggestion was that it might not be getting the extra entry from the folder name but from a playlist (which has the same name as the folder). It's worth checking to see if you have playlists in there as was suggested. If not, then we'll think again :)

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-11, 09:44
I think you need to check your tags. Great album BTW!

Also, I don't think you can just rely on 'browse playlists'. Use Windows Explorer to see if there is a .m3u file in the same directory as the music.

boybees
2005-08-11, 09:49
What specifically should I be looking for in tags?

Good idea on Windows explorer. I'll look at hidden files and see what kind of junk might be in there.

P.S. Eels' newest "Blinking Lights" v. good!

I think you need to check your tags. Great album BTW!

Also, I don't think you can just rely on 'browse playlists'. Use Windows Explorer to see if there is a .m3u file in the same directory as the music.

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-11, 09:59
What specifically should I be looking for in tags?At least that Artist, Album, Year are set correctly and the same, and then that Track Titles and Genre see sensible. If SS makes sense of the Tags, it doesn't even bother with the guess bit.

boybees
2005-08-11, 13:39
Bingo! Problem solved.

I looked in Windows explorer, and sure enough, there's an EAC cue sheet for "Beautiful Freak" sitting in my music folder. Deleted that sucker, and no more double album entries.

Thanks for your help.