PDA

View Full Version : Differences between SB1 and SB2

idmfan
2005-08-08, 16:04
Due to a tight student budget, I'm unfortunately not able to afford the wireless SB2 with 802.11g functionality. However, moving to the wired versions of SB2 and SB1, can someone point out what I will lose by buying an SB1 vs an SB2?

I would very much like to take full advantage of all the various streaming info that could be set up on the SB2...is that also available on the SB1 (with latest firmware I guess...)? What other features do I or don't I get....?

Also, i'm not too concerned about the DAC quality as I intend to use the DAC in my Denon receiver (ie use the coax digital out on the SB)...aside from some of the jitter issues I've read about on the SB1, is it fair to say SB1 and SB2 are about the same if I connect things this way?

thanks in advance

radish
2005-08-08, 16:35
OK, so excluding wireless and DAC changes, the big 4 are:

Support for SqueezeNetwork
Support for FLAC decoding/streaming
Much bigger buffer (less important when using wired though)
Much better display (including analysers, vu's etc.)

JJZolx
2005-08-08, 17:24
Due to a tight student budget, I'm unfortunately not able to afford the wireless SB2 with 802.11g functionality. However, moving to the wired versions of SB2 and SB1, can someone point out what I will lose by buying an SB1 vs an SB2?

I would very much like to take full advantage of all the various streaming info that could be set up on the SB2...is that also available on the SB1 (with latest firmware I guess...)? What other features do I or don't I get....?

Also, i'm not too concerned about the DAC quality as I intend to use the DAC in my Denon receiver (ie use the coax digital out on the SB)...aside from some of the jitter issues I've read about on the SB1, is it fair to say SB1 and SB2 are about the same if I connect things this way?
The SB2's larger buffer guards against problems with SlimServer hiccups, not just communication difficulties. A fair number of dropouts with the SB1 happened due to server hitches that wouldn't be heard on an SB2 due to the larger buffer.

I'd say the SB2's digital s/pdif out into an externa DAC is superior to that of the SB1 due to lower jitter, but I doubt that it's significant enough that you'd hear the difference.

idmfan
2005-08-08, 18:08
OK, so excluding wireless and DAC changes, the big 4 are:

Support for SqueezeNetwork
Support for FLAC decoding/streaming
Much bigger buffer (less important when using wired though)
Much better display (including analysers, vu's etc.)

thanks for the response...okay regarding the above, i can certainly appreciate the advantages of a larger (memory) buffer with respect to streaming data and FLAC support is not a priority for me....with that in mind, what do i lose by not being able to use SqueezeNetwork...am i able to stream rss and other feeds, etc?

am i correct in saying squeezenetwork is just a http based server of information available through a switch/router even when your pc is off?

radish
2005-08-08, 19:17
Squeezenetwork's primary function is to allow you to listen to internet radio streams without a locally running slimserver. It also enables things like the alarm clock in such situations. If you're planning on running your own slimserver 24x7 it doesn't currently offer much (IMHO). Just think of it as a central, shared slimserver without it's own music library.