PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer general and fLaC related questions

Adrian Meacham
2005-08-06, 23:25
Hello other SlimServer fans,

Just discovered this great new toy yesterday, and have had great fun with it so far.

Like many others, I'm sure, my normal path is to install, test and then RTM, and I've been pleased with the ease of use through all three of these steps.

I'm most impressed with everything I've seen thus far. This is a great product, and with open-source supporting software, it's bound to remain the market leader and enjoy continued success for many years to come!

A few SlimServer related questions have arisen during my explorations:
(please note that I have not yet purchased an SB2, these questions pertain only to SlimServer software, but are not beta nor *nix related)

First is where should we post suggestions for tweaks, minor bug fixes, edits to html/UI etc.? I've come up with several so far.

Second, and perhaps more important! is related to use of SlimServer with fLaC.

fLaC is mentioned often in FAQ, wiki, SlimServer UI and forums, so I had imagined the combination would work well together.

SlimServer successfully discovered all of my fLaC files, lists them in searches and will move them to playlists, but refuses to play them. Instead, the Music Player panel immediately goes to 'stopped' status and will not play (MP3's <= 320Kbps work fine here).

I'm testing with foobar2000 as that is my prefered (pretty much only) player. I do not believe this to be foobar related however, as these fLaCs will all play directly in foobar.

A few interesting things to note here:
1)foobar will happily 'play' the non-existant(?) stream when Music Player has 'stopped' - though no sound is heard.
2)Also, foobar reports "MP3 ###kbps 44100Hz stereo" where ### = (128,320 - could swear it was showing 320 earlier, but is now always showing 128?) when receiving this silent stream.
3)ZoneAlarm and networking panel of Task Manager both show traffic during this condition.
4)foobar receives/displays the Title tag whilst playing this silent stream.

Realizing all of my fLaCs have been created with an older verions of libFLAC than ships with SlimServer, I have even substituted my ver into the slimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread folder (+stop,restart service), with no change in behavior.

In case you would ask:
[XPhomeSP1] - [IE6.latest] - [SlimServer Version: 6.1.1 - 3774 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252] - [libFLAC 1.1.0 20030126]

thank you,

ceejay
2005-08-07, 00:03
Hello

Until we get to the bottom of what the problem really is, its hard to be sure ... but I will stick my neck out and guess that this isn't a "flac" issue (a great many slim users have all-FLAC libraries).

I was a little puzzled at what you were trying to achieve with foobar. Is it on the same machine as slimserver? If not, there may be port/firewall issues. If yes, I guess I'm unclear as to what slimserver is doing for you.

To try out slimserver ahead of buying an SB2, if that's what you are thinking, try installing softsqueeze (its included in the slimserver package). You may also need to install a recent version of Java to make it work.

Post the results back here and someone will have you working in no time...

Ceejay.

kdf
2005-08-07, 00:42
if you are using foobar to play via the stream.mp3 url, then the only
playback that you will get is MP3. the reason you have stoped playback
is probably because slimserver cannot find a copy of LAME installed for
transcoding flac to mp3.

if you want o try slimserver, for real, try clicking on the help link
and launching softsqueeze. that will play back native flac, just like
the SB2 will.

-kdf

Adrian Meacham
2005-08-07, 02:05
Thank you both!

@ceejay,
I should have mentioned, yes all on same machine. I wanted to get it all tested and working on the same machine before I tried streaming to another machine, before I demo it to some other people who are going to flip when they see this - I may need to be setup as an affiliate or commissioned salesperson before this is over with! ;-)

and with foobar - it'll pretty much handle any audio format out there including the almighty fLaC, and I've got all the available codecs/plugins installed - so it's usually my one-stop-shop for music, whether coming from cd, file off the local machine or stream from the matrix

@kdf,
so introducing LAME to SlimServer will allow it to transcode fLaC on-the-fly to Mp3 and produce a stream that foobar will digest correctly? I'll get right on that.

@BOTH ceejay & kdf,
thanks for the suggestion of and quick instruction to install/try softsqueeze. Java is not my fav, unless it's dark-roasted and in a large mug, but softsqueeze did the trick.

@all,
any suggestion on where to send feedback (or if it's even welcome) on SlimServer? I did not see a home for it on SF or here (other than 'help wanted' where only contact is for assistance in translation)?

thanks again,

kdf
2005-08-07, 09:48
On 7-Aug-05, at 2:05 AM, Adrian Meacham wrote:
> @kdf,
> so introducing LAME to SlimServer will allow it to transcode fLaC
> on-the-fly to Mp3 and produce a stream that foobar will digest
> correctly? I'll get right on that.
>

That is usually the first hurdle. Make sure you put the lame binary in
a place that slimserver can find. c:\windows, for example. If you go
into server settings->file types, you will see flac->mp3 conversion
checked if it has worked. There is also a note under player
settings->audio. the bitrate limiting setting will say whether lame
has been properly found or not, and provide a link if it is not found.

-kdf

radish
2005-08-07, 11:53
@all,
any suggestion on where to send feedback (or if it's even welcome) on SlimServer? I did not see a home for it on SF or here (other than 'help wanted' where only contact is for assistance in translation)?
If you want to request a feature, you can raise an enhancement request at http://bugs.slimdevices.com. If you want to help out, swing by the developers list.

Adrian Meacham
2005-08-07, 13:20
@kdf,
SWEET! Dropping lame.exe into C:\Program Files\slimServer\server\bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread did the trick - now foobar is back in action!

@radish,
I don't know how much help I'd actually be in the developers group, but I'll take a look and will also definately post to the bugs. list.

thanks to both of you for your assistance,