View Full Version : Duplicate Song Titles in Library : give priority to FLAC

fathom39
2005-08-06, 07:05
BACKGROUND
- Dad & teenagers in same house
- Main library is \Music\ with sub-directories of \FLAC and \MP3
- Not all FLACs/MP3s also exist as MP3s/FLACs
- SS library points to \Music\FLAC
- Teenagers crank PC speakers to play MP3s that aren't in SS library (sounds real bad)

DESIRED
- Point SS up one level to \Music so both FLACs and MP3s are available
- Have SS show only the FLAC if an identically titled MP3 also exists

QUESTIONS
Do I need to write SQL for this? Has someone done it already? Should this be a parameter for Rescan Music Library?

radish
2005-08-06, 07:27
I was just wrestling with the same problem myself, except it's my girlfriends itunes library. Same problem, was planning on trying to prefilter with a script but the tagging is kind of crazy so who knows how much I would catch.

ceejay
2005-08-06, 11:34
Hi

sounds like a nice idea (I'm in a similar situation). However, one catch occurs to me... such a filter would only work if the tracks were IDENTICALLY titled and/or tagged - which, given the variability of internet tagging info is only (reliably) likely to be the case if both files were ripped at the same times as part of the same process.

If the kids have ripped the CDs separately, on the other hand, the likelihood is that some minor discrepancies will creep in which could give you something that annoyingly "nearly" works.

Ceejay.

fathom39
2005-08-06, 13:14
Hi

sounds like a nice idea (I'm in a similar situation). However, one catch occurs to me... such a filter would only work if the tracks were IDENTICALLY titled and/or tagged - which, given the variability of internet tagging info is only (reliably) likely to be the case if both files were ripped at the same times as part of the same process.

If the kids have ripped the CDs separately, on the other hand, the likelihood is that some minor discrepancies will creep in which could give you something that annoyingly "nearly" works.

Ceejay.

Yes, that is/is not a concern. Generally, I plan to have a policy where we rip & encode both FLAC and MP3 at the same time using either EAC + MAREO or manually with dbPowerAmp. So the titles would be the same. And, if the kids somehow get MP3s on there otherwise that would be OK since chances are I won't care anyway ... I doubt Green Day sound much better on FLAC than MP3!:-)

kdf
2005-08-06, 13:33
There is something similar already in as a feature request, with some
discussions of options (even a volunteer, until the full scale kicked
in :)

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775

-kdf

fathom39
2005-08-06, 15:34
Thanks KDF. I found many of my ideas already expressed in the buglist dialog. However, the thrust of that thread seemed to be a universal, multi-device solution which is proper but more cumbersome. I just want to delete some records from the database after a rescan. Something along the lines of this:

DELETE Songtitles FROM "SlimSongs.db"
WHERE FileNameExtension <> "flac" AND COUNT(FileName) > 1

Maybe I'll post this to the bug discsussion, if that is appropriate. Also, I'll search the forums for schema info ... unless someone wants to point me to the right place :-) I was unable to view \Program Files\SlimServer\server\SQL\schema.png