PDA

View Full Version : Digital and Analog outputs at the same time

Tracy_D
2005-08-05, 14:20
Can anyone confirm if the SB2 outputs on the digital as well as the analog outputs at the same time? I have two stereo systems, one for in-house, one for outside, and the Audiotron will output on both at the same time, so I can have the same music playing everywhere.

Thanks in advance,

TracyD
Houston, TX

kdf
2005-08-05, 14:37
Quoting Tracy_D <Tracy_D.1tb8jn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Can anyone confirm if the SB2 outputs on the digital as well as the
> analog outputs at the same time? I have two stereo systems, one for
> in-house, one for outside, and the Audiotron will output on both at the
> same time, so I can have the same music playing everywhere.
>
yes, it will (coax, optical and analog). You can even set your digital output
to a fixed point (preset for 'best' overall final quality) and let the analog
outs be under volume control from the remote., or have both controlled
simultaneously from the remote.

-kdf

Tracy_D
2005-08-05, 15:57
That was the answer I was hoping for. Thanks!!

TD

Fifer
2005-08-06, 05:42
I believe you can use all three outputs (analogue, digital optical and digital coax) simultaneously, although I haven't tried it but I can vouch for digital coax and analogue at the same time as that's how mine is set up.

Mitch G
2005-08-16, 10:48
Quoting Tracy_D <Tracy_D.1tb8jn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
[color=blue]
>
> <snipped>
You can even set your digital output
to a fixed point (preset for 'best' overall final quality) and let the analog
outs be under volume control from the remote., or have both controlled
simultaneously from the remote.

-kdf

Can you elaborate about this a bit?
How do you fix the digital output while still being able to control the analog output volume via the remote?
Also, is this available with the SB1?

And, while I'm thinking about it, is there is a difference (other than connector type) of using the headphone jack versus using the RCA jacks?
Do they both output at the same level? Or is one "amplified" more than the other?

Thanks,

Mitch

radish
2005-08-16, 11:05
Can you elaborate about this a bit?
How do you fix the digital output while still being able to control the analog output volume via the remote?
Also, is this available with the SB1?

It's under Player Settings / Audio. And I think it was available with SB1, though someone may correct me.

And, while I'm thinking about it, is there is a difference (other than connector type) of using the headphone jack versus using the RCA jacks?
Do they both output at the same level? Or is one "amplified" more than the other?

They are at different levels.

Mitch G
2005-08-16, 11:49
It's under Player Settings / Audio. And I think it was available with SB1, though someone may correct me.

Thanks. I'll check it out tonight.

They are at different levels.

Well, you can't get away that easy. :) Do you know which one is "louder?"
(I don't have cables to allow me to test both options. Otherwise, I would test it myself.)

Thanks,

Mitch

radish
2005-08-16, 15:12
Well, you can't get away that easy. :) Do you know which one is "louder?"
(I don't have cables to allow me to test both options. Otherwise, I would test it myself.)

Eeeek. This is where my lack of analogue electronics knowledge becomes amazingly evident! I think in simple terms that the headphone output will be "louder", as it's amplified to drive the speakers. However, I'm pretty sure it's more complex than that - what happens when a headphone level signal has to drive a line input is beyond me - there's impedence matching and all that stuff I really don't understand. I'm sure someone here can be more helpful - I'm a digital guy :)