PDA

View Full Version : SB2 and Wifi draytek WPA/PSK TKIP

JohnD76
2005-08-04, 14:35
Hi,

I have just bought a wireless Squeezebox 2 and am very happy with it but am having problems getting it to work on my Draytek Vigor 2600V Wifi router.

I have been running MAC filtering and WPA/PSK TKIP on my network and have entered my passphrase into the Squeezebox 2 and it just won't authenticate with my router. I am obviously doing something wrong since it only appears to work with no encryption, but is happy with the MAC filtering. Has anyone else had problems?

I have tried WEP and this also doesn't seem to work for me :(

Ideally I want to use WPA/PSK 128bit TKIP, is this possible?

Many thanks,

John.

snarlydwarf
2005-08-04, 23:15
You should be able to use 128bit WPA/PSK. I do and it works fine.

(I use a cheapo Belkin router, but "standards" are supposed to be standard...)

JohnD76
2005-08-05, 01:17
Thanks for the reply.

I will try it again today and hopefully get it sorted. I managed to get it connected last night via 128bit WEP, but would rather use WPA, but WEP is better than nothing at all.

Cheers,

John.

gsiemon
2005-08-05, 06:18
See the following bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1629

I have a Draytek 2600G and have exactly the same problem (can use WEP 64 or 128 bit but not WPA-PSK). The guys at Slim Devices have investigated it and believe that the fault lies with Draytek. I submitted a bug report with Draytek as well and they have sent me a couple of beta test firmware images (leatest was last week) but none have fixed the problem. If I get it resolved I'll let you know.

Greg

JohnD76
2005-08-05, 08:03
Hi Greg,

Cheers for the link and for letting me know I am not alone :) Banging my head against a wall with this.

I am using a passphrase on the the draytek, which I enter into the squeesebox2 and it appears to connect but fails to be an IP form the router and a static IP won;t work either.

When I look ito the station list on the router I am told that the authenication was refused for the SB2 MAC address. Very annoying. I likewise will let you know if I manage to get it working.

Cheers,

John.

Milhouse
2005-08-05, 17:16
but "standards" are supposed to be standard...)

Dratek aren't a member of the WiFi consortium, therefore their devices are not officially Wifi compliant.

For various other reasons unrelated to WiFi I now steer well clear of Draytek - expensive rubbish in my humble opinion.

You could try posting your query on the Draytek User forum (http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum) (note: there are no Draytek reps present on the forum - it's entirely user-to-user). Unfortunately WiFi problems are fairly common, try a search.

I recommend Linksys, specifically the WRT54GS - costs under 50 and no problems at all (although I must point out I own a wired SB2)

ASS-Ware
2006-11-03, 04:25
Dratek aren't a member of the WiFi consortium, therefore their devices are not officially Wifi compliant.

For various other reasons unrelated to WiFi I now steer well clear of Draytek - expensive rubbish in my humble opinion.

You could try posting your query on the Draytek User forum (http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum) (note: there are no Draytek reps present on the forum - it's entirely user-to-user). Unfortunately WiFi problems are fairly common, try a search.

I recommend Linksys, specifically the WRT54GS - costs under 50 and no problems at all (although I must point out I own a wired SB2)
Not entirely true, sorry to say, but there seems to be something wrong with the Squeezebox firmware.
There is a new firmware that solves Draytek connectivity over WiFi with WPA.
I had the problem too and the new firmware works for me on my Draytek 2800.

peterbell
2006-11-03, 05:02
I've been using Draytek routers for five years, and have been very happy with them. The wifi facilities are provided by a plug-in module, probably bought in. Perhaps there's no need for Draytek to subscribe to the consortium.

ASS-Ware
2006-11-03, 05:03
I've been using Draytek routers for five years, and have been very happy with them. The wifi facilities are provided by a plug-in module, probably bought in. Perhaps there's no need for Draytek to subscribe to the consortium.
I fully agree, Draytek rulez.

Milhouse
2006-11-03, 20:08
Not entirely true, sorry to say, but there seems to be something wrong with the Squeezebox firmware.
There is a new firmware that solves Draytek connectivity over WiFi with WPA.
I had the problem too and the new firmware works for me on my Draytek 2800.

Have you looked in the Slim Devices bugzilla? Most of the problems appear to be with poor Draytek firmware, Slimdevices bend over backwards to support that sh*t! As a former owner of Draytek expensive garbage, I should know! :)

Glad you're a happy Draytek user, though.

ASS-Ware
2006-11-04, 09:58
Have you looked in the Slim Devices bugzilla? Most of the problems appear to be with poor Draytek firmware, Slimdevices bend over backwards to support that sh*t! As a former owner of Draytek expensive garbage, I should know! :)

Glad you're a happy Draytek user, though.

I have used Draytek stuff for years and never had a problem.
Maybe you don't know enough about hardware and IT ?

Milhouse
2006-11-04, 10:03
Maybe you don't know enough about hardware and IT ?

Let's not go there, OK?

I'm glad you're a happy Draytek user. I know many who are not.

ASS-Ware
2006-11-04, 10:05
Let's not go there, OK?

I'm glad you're a happy Draytek user. I know many who are not.

Just mean that sometimes it's easy to say that it doesn't work or that it's crap when you don't know how it works.
Sorry.

Milhouse
2006-11-04, 10:32
OK, here goes...

As a former owner of Draytek I'm well aware of the poor security (yes, you really can connect to my management console even when the little box titled "Don't accept WAN connections for Management Console" is checked), constantly hanging routers (heck, some owners even put them on timer switches for crying out loud), flakey wireless that drops every 10 minutes, and wireless that fails to negotiate with other devices (no surprise that Draytek are NOT members of the WiFi consortium). Need a solution to your wireless problem? How about shipping the whole router back to Draytek so they can replace the wireless card (and no, you can't have a replacement in the meantime). That, and firmware on a 160 device - this was a v2600 - that didn't even support SNMP because Draytek ran out of ROM space adding support for other functionality nobody wanted (but it was apparently requested by a "big" customer - seriously!)

Read the Draytek "support" forum, it's full of users with similar problems - the firmware QA is appaling. Why pay 160 for hardware when you can get far more functionality and reliability for 40? I do more with a pair of 40 Linksys WRT54GS and after market firmware than I ever could with the 160 v2600, and the WRT54GS's are rock solid, day in, day out. Newer devices such as the Draytek v2800 etc. were no better - same old problems, just a new box.

As for not knowing what I'm doing, it's pretty damned hard to diagnose a fault in closed source firmware that gives no usable diagnostics! "Oh dear, the router's crashed - let me check the logs... nope, nothing there. Hmmm."

After 20 years in the IT industry, I thought (and this goes back a couple of years) that Draytek were good quality and justified the price based on reviews at the time (which certainly gave that impression). The reality is very different, and subsequent open source after market firmwares for various off the shelf devices have shown Draytek kit to be overpriced, lacking in features (some of which are openly advertised as available even when they are not) and generally of extremely poor quality. The "exclusive" distributor in the UK - SEG - also offers abysmal support.

Really, if anyone is thinking about purchasing Draytek kit: save your money, buy something better, for less. Spend what you save on a new Squeezebox/3! :)

ASS-Ware
2006-11-04, 11:03
OK, here goes...

As a former owner of Draytek I'm well aware of the poor security (yes, you really can connect to my management console even when the little box titled "Don't accept WAN connections for Management Console" is checked), constantly hanging routers (heck, some owners even put them on timer switches for crying out loud), flakey wireless that drops every 10 minutes, and wireless that fails to negotiate with other devices (no surprise that Draytek are NOT members of the WiFi consortium). Need a solution to your wireless problem? How about shipping the whole router back to Draytek so they can replace the wireless card (and no, you can't have a replacement in the meantime). That, and firmware on a 160 device - this was a v2600 - that didn't even support SNMP because Draytek ran out of ROM space adding support for other functionality nobody wanted (but it was apparently requested by a "big" customer - seriously!)

Read the Draytek "support" forum, it's full of users with similar problems - the firmware QA is appaling. Why pay 160 for hardware when you can get far more functionality and reliability for 40? I do more with a pair of 40 Linksys WRT54GS and after market firmware than I ever could with the 160 v2600, and the WRT54GS's are rock solid, day in, day out. Newer devices such as the Draytek v2800 etc. were no better - same old problems, just a new box.

As for not knowing what I'm doing, it's pretty damned hard to diagnose a fault in closed source firmware that gives no usable diagnostics! "Oh dear, the router's crashed - let me check the logs... nope, nothing there. Hmmm."

After 20 years in the IT industry, I thought (and this goes back a couple of years) that Draytek were good quality and justified the price based on reviews at the time (which certainly gave that impression). The reality is very different, and subsequent open source after market firmwares for various off the shelf devices have shown Draytek kit to be overpriced, lacking in features (some of which are openly advertised as available even when they are not) and generally of extremely poor quality. The "exclusive" distributor in the UK - SEG - also offers abysmal support.

Really, if anyone is thinking about purchasing Draytek kit: save your money, buy something better, for less. Spend what you save on a new Squeezebox/3! :)

I have been in the business for 15 years now and have been using Draytek hardware since 5 years, at home, at my office and at clients, and never ever had a problem.
My friends use the stuff too and don't have problems.
There have been issues, yes, but they have all been solved.

2pods
2006-11-04, 13:18
My Draytek 2600g has been fine until I tried it with Vista Beta1 when it refused to connect with WPA/PSK enabled (lucklily I have it MAC filtered anyway), but after a firmware update all is fine and RC1 and RC2 connect with WPA.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
I'll see when I get my SB3 and TS-101.

Peter

ASS-Ware
2006-11-04, 13:20
My Draytek 2600g has been fine until I tried it with Vista Beta1 when it refused to connect with WPA/PSK enabled (lucklily I have it MAC filtered anyway), but after a firmware update all is fine and RC1 and RC2 connect with WPA.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
I'll see when I get my SB3 and TS-101.

Peter

You said it, beta ...