PDA

View Full Version : NSLU2 as a SlimServer - anyone stories?

nano2nd
2005-08-04, 12:23
Hi,

I'm about to try the GNU/Linux-based Linksys NSLU2 network "server" device with a USB2 attached hard drive as a standalone SlimServer host. I've read the HowTo etc and it all looks pretty simple, I'm just waiting for the bits to arrive from Amazon.

In the meantime, does anyone have any stories about their experiences with this solution? I've read elsewhere of successful use but recent threads in this forum regarding performance of the newer SlimServer builds give me some cause for concern given the specs of the NSLU2 i.e. 133MHz Intel IXP420 processor with 32MB RAM - something of a step down from my current platform of OS X with 1GHz G4 and 1GHz RAM.

Anyone tried this?

hubner
2005-08-04, 13:18
nano2nd skrev:

>Hi,
>
>I'm about to try the GNU/Linux-based Linksys NSLU2 network "server"
>device with a USB2 attached hard drive as a standalone SlimServer host.
>I've read the HowTo etc and it all looks pretty simple, I'm just waiting
>for the bits to arrive from Amazon.
>
>In the meantime, does anyone have any stories about their experiences
>with this solution? I've read elsewhere of successful use but recent
>threads in this forum regarding performance of the newer SlimServer
>builds give me some cause for concern given the specs of the NSLU2 i.e.
>133MHz Intel IXP420 processor with 32MB RAM - something of a step down
>from my current platform of OS X with 1GHz G4 and 1GHz RAM.
>
>Anyone tried this?
>
>
>
>
I have the NSLU2 running SlimServer to my Slimp3. What can I say,
installation was a bit difficult for me not being that literate in Linux
and so on, but I reckon that was due to some sloppy reading of the
manual on my part. Now its running, but browsing the web interface and
on the SlimServer is a bit slow. However, I have not had any problems
with skipping and I have to say that it works pretty well.

I have, however, been considering downgrading SlimServer to some of the
5.x-version - so any thoughts in that regard is much appreciated.

The upside for me is that I have gained a cheap network storage solution
that doubles as SlimServer and gotten rid of all the noise that my
previous three servers produced and furthermore saved a few SEK on my
electricity bill.

So - I am satisfied, but having said that - I am not a power user in any
way.

/Johan

mac
2005-08-04, 17:49
Works great for me but YMMV. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=46046&postcount=20

Paul Webster
2005-09-26, 11:13
Thought I'd add my comments here - as running Slimserver on the NSLU2 was one of my original objectives when I bought my (first) NSLU2.
I started with Slimserver 6.0 and Unslung 3.x - but there were too many pre-requisites to get built by hand for the time I had available ... so I parked it.
Things moved on though.
I filled the disks attached to the NSLU2 - so bought another one and installed latest Unslung (5.x). Things had moved on and there were more packages that were pre-built plus 6.1.1 was available ... and following the cookbook linked to above made it really easy.
So - now serving 2 SB2 (synced) with selections from 700+ albums, 7000+ songs and 300+ artists.
The menus are slightly slower than the PC that I was using - but .. entirely usable.
(If I copy a lot of files to the NAS while it is playing there are noticiable gaps when playing back music)

I see that there is a mechanical hack for the NSLU2 (remove a resistor) that makes it run twice as fast. I might give it a try if I find that installing more things on it makes it too unresponsive.

joshm
2005-09-26, 12:44
Hi,

I am running Slimserver 6.1 on my unslung (beta 5.5) NSLU2 alongside a 250GB USB drive. All is well, although I still am unable to play back AAC files at the moment. I am serving up about 7GB music (perhaps 1500 songs) so far with no trouble.

JoshM

simonuca
2006-07-08, 13:42
Hi,

I have the NSLU2 running SlimServer to my Slimp3.
I'm running slimserver 6.2.2 on NSLU2 overclocked (266Mhz) and 32Mb of ram and Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta alongside a 80GB drive in a USB2.0 drive enclosure
My music collection is around 3000 files (mp3 encoded at VBR 360, riped using EAC)

I'm pretty happy with the setup.

shabbs
2006-07-08, 15:36
I have an NSLU2 as well and looked at running Unslung on it with SS but a lot of people who had done that commented that the 32MB of memory on the NSLU2 just wasn't enough to give it real power and that the interface ended up pretty slow (even on overclocked ones). You can look at adding more memory if you're good with soldering and want to crack it open.

I use the NSLU2 to host my MP3 files on my network and run SS on a seperate server.

Cheers.

shabbs
2006-07-08, 15:37
My music collection is around 3000 files (mp3 encoded at VBR 360, riped using EAC)
How did you achieve that? MP3 tops out at 320kbps. Or did you mean 260?

Cheers.