PDA

View Full Version : SB2 earphone socket problem...

nhopton
2005-08-04, 09:22
Hello All,

I was one of the people in England who were unfortunate enough to receive one of the SB2s with the earphone socket problem. I know there were other readers of the list with the same problem and I'm just enquiring about how they fared when they tried to get the defect remedied.

In my case things are developing into the stuff of nightmares and I've been without my Squeezebox for nearly four weeks now.

Regards,
Nick.

max.spicer
2005-08-04, 10:28
I emailed my supplier to ask for a replacement and was told the following. I never got around to contacting them as I had waited for so long for my SB2 that I really didn't want to be without it so soon. Are these the people that you're having problems with?

> Regarding the problem with the headphone socket on the Squeezebox2, Slim
> Devices have identified the problem within a small batch that were sent
> to the UK. Becasue it is a manufacturing fault they will swap the units
> out via their UK distributor who should be contacted via e-mail at
> info@progressiveav.com. In the e-mail you need to quote the serial
> number on the side of the unit. You will then be issued with an RMA
> number and can return the item for a replacement unit.

Max

Hello All,

I was one of the people in England who were unfortunate enough to receive one of the SB2s with the earphone socket problem. I know there were other readers of the list with the same problem and I'm just enquiring about how they fared when they tried to get the defect remedied.

In my case things are developing into the stuff of nightmares and I've been without my Squeezebox for nearly four weeks now.

Regards,
Nick.

DJMUK
2005-08-04, 10:34
I was one of the unlucky ones too!

I had purchased mine from Broadbandstuff.co.uk and this is what I was told when I asked for it to be fixed:

"Regarding the problem with the headphone socket on the Squeezebox2, Slim Devices have identified the problem within a small batch that were sent to the UK. Becasue it is a manufacturing fault they will swap the units out via their UK distributor who should be contacted via e-mail at info@progressiveav.com. In the e-mail you need to quote the serial number on the side of the unit. You will then be issued with an RMA number and can return the item for a replacement unit."

My first email was on 31st May and after a number of reminders I got an RMA on 21st June. I sent the unit back by Special Delivery on 22nd June and after a reminder on 1st July I finally received it on the 5th July.

I think this could have been dealt with better as it was a pain to have to keep on chasing. If anything like this happens to me again, with any product, I will quote the Sale of Goods Act to the supplier and insist on a replacement or refund. They have to do this if the goods do not perform to the advertised specification or 'are not fit for the purpose for which they were supplied'. Luckily this was my second unit (and I now have a third) so I did not get too many withdrawal symptoms!

I know being here in the UK it was out of the direct control of Slim Devices but I am sure if you continue to have problems they could put some pressure on the supplier/distributor.

Hope you get yours back soon.

David

ceejay
2005-08-04, 11:13
If anything like this happens to me again, with any product, I will quote the Sale of Goods Act to the supplier and insist on a replacement or refund.

Absolutely agree. As I'm sure you know, your contract is with the retailer, not Slim or their distributor. It's your retailer's responsibility to sort out any issues including replacement, and if you don't like the way they handle it you can go to another one for next time! I have to admit I would not have been so patient...

Ceejay.

nhopton
2005-08-04, 12:14
Tell me David, when you sent the unit to Progressive for replacement did *you* have to pay the postage? Like a fool I did and I feel very hacked off about it. Why should I be punished by having to pay the postage? My only crime was to buy the unit in the first place.

Progressive told me that my replacement SB2 would with me by the end of last week, but of course it wasn't. Broadbandstuff told me that it would be here today, which of course it isn't (well we'll see, there are three and a bit hours of 'today' left, but I'm not holding my breath).

If you'll believe it, when I told Broadbandstuff I wanted a refund they told me I couldn't have one. This, of course, is the sort of rubbish calculated to enrage.

Regards,
Nick.

DJMUK
2005-08-04, 13:36
Nick,

Yes, I did pay the postage to them. I did not think about it at the time but as you say it seems only right that they should pay it and get recompense from Slim Devices. I don't know what arrangements SD had with it's UK distributors over this issue but if I remember they did not give any direct help to anyone on the mailing list but did, of course, acknowledge the problem.

In reality I don't think Broadband could refuse to give you a refund if it's what you wanted but like any business they will try to avoid it. If you paid by credit card your contract is also with the card company and they should be able to apply pressure to the supplier. I have had this kind of thing happen on other occasions in the past with other goods and only got sense when I mentioned I worked for a firm of solicitors and would get them involved.

I hope you don't have to wait much longer it must be so frustrating. The only good thing is that it's such a good product which I am sure will give you, as it has me, many hours of good listening once you get it back.

Regards.

David

nhopton
2005-08-05, 02:28
I emailed my supplier to ask for a replacement and was told the following. I never got around to contacting them as I had waited for so long for my SB2 that I really didn't want to be without it so soon. Are these the people that you're having problems with?

> Regarding the problem with the headphone socket on the Squeezebox2, Slim
> Devices have identified the problem within a small batch that were sent
> to the UK. Becasue it is a manufacturing fault they will swap the units
> out via their UK distributor who should be contacted via e-mail at
> info@progressiveav.com. In the e-mail you need to quote the serial
> number on the side of the unit. You will then be issued with an RMA
> number and can return the item for a replacement unit.

Max
Hello Max, just a quick word of hard-won advice. This is exactly what Broadbandstuff told me to do and like a fool I did it (and paid five pounds-odd out of my own pocket for the postage, too!). I bitterly regret doing this now, what I should have done was to have informed Broadbandstuff that the item was defective, that I had rejected it and that I required an immediate refund of the full purchase price.

It's a dirty little bit of sharp practice, but by sending the unit to Progressive as requested I made it possible for Broadbandstuff to argue that I had 'accepted' the goods and that on these grounds they would not give me a refund.

So I'd suggest to anyone in this position in the UK to be very cautious and to deal *solely* with the people from whom they bought the goods. Do not under any circumstances get involved with third parties.

Regards,
Nick.

radish
2005-08-05, 07:44
Which is all perfectly legal, and from the individual consumers' point of view most likely the best idea. But on the flip side, if any given store gets too much grief from a particular low-volume product, they may just decide it's not worth the hassle and stop selling it. That would be bad for everyone. I'm not saying you shouldn't assert your rights, but there's always another side to the story :)