PDA

View Full Version : Current Playlist mucked up after Rescan

Philip Meyer
2005-08-03, 13:56
After I perform a Rescan with the "clear library before rescan", I notice that the current playlist for my SBG lists random albums. I assume there's some kind of id being used to reference the tracks, but after a complete rescan, these id's no longer match.

If it can't guarantee the same items being included in the current playlist, I would suggest that when wiping the library, SlimServer should also wipe the "Now Playing" player playlists.

Also, since a reinstall and rescan, I have cleared the now playing list and selected an album to play from the web browser. I can't see the "Now Playing" playlist in "Browse By Playlist" for my player. I'm sure I could see these before, but I can't remember if this effect was a standard feature of SlimServer, or provided through a plugin.

Phil

kdf
2005-08-03, 14:38
Quoting Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>:

> Also, since a reinstall and rescan, I have cleared the now playing list and
> selected an album to play from the web browser. I can't see the "Now
> Playing" playlist in "Browse By Playlist" for my player.

This was removed intentionally. These repalced the old __<MAC>.m3u playlists
that were also unseen, so the behaviour has been recycled to match the former
behaviour.

-kdf

Philip Meyer
2005-08-04, 01:23
>This was removed intentionally. These repalced the old __<MAC>.m3u playlists
>that were also unseen, so the behaviour has been recycled to match the former
>behaviour.
>
I don't quite understand what you are saying. I can't see any now playing playlists stored on disk anywhere now. Are you saying that these are never written directly to disk now (now held only in the database) - that it was unintentional that the playlists appeared in the browser at all?

I quite liked them appearing in the playlist folder. It meant I could easily play something in the lounge, and then when retreating to the bedroom, I could select to play the "now playing" list from the lounge player. However, I think there have been a few plugins developed to provide facilities like this.

Is it intended that these playlists will be lost after a rescan (ie. by wiping the DB)?

Phil

oreillymj
2005-08-04, 03:13
Philip,

I'm not sure KDF understood what you meant.

in the 6.1.x release, file based playlists were loaded into the database to speed up playlist functionality.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that referential integrity is being maintained between song id's and artist id's in playlists when the database is re-populated after a wipe/rescan.

It would be extemely difficult job to maintain the now playing playlist based on old/new song id's/artist id's and album Id using database updates alone.

What I believe is/should be happening when a full wipe/rescan happens is as follows.

1)Check if anything is playing and write a "Now Playing" m3u file to disk if required.
2)Wipe the Db
3)Rescan and populate the db with updated Artist/album & song ID's
4)Populate the database with playlist items based on files in the playlist dir. Use the contents of the "Now playing" m3u file to rebuild the Now playing list.
5)The Now playing playlist in the UI should be correct based on the updated ID's in the db.
6) Delete the temp m3u file.

I suspect some/all of this is already happening, but the artist ID code is flaky.

mikerob
2005-08-05, 01:28
Something I saw when moving to a recent nightly (I think v2005-08-05) when browsing by Genre, there was a "No Genre" listing with 2 tracks in it.

These tracks were ones that I had been playing recently (I have 2 Squeezeboxes) but they certainly weren't playing currently.

Is it possible that old "Now Playing" playlists have been left in the Playlist directory and are being picked up by a scan?

I'll check tonight if the Playlist directory has got hidden files in it causing this.

Is there any reason why these files are hidden?

I would have thought that if something goes wrong, then old, hidden playlist files could cause strange behaviour while at least if they are visible, you may get a clue what the cause is.