PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer Audiophiles for Dummies



pfarrell
2005-08-01, 21:41
On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 21:13 -0700, Harry G wrote:
> Reminds me, I really wish someone would write a "Dummy's Guide to the
> Squeezebox". I know I'm not the only person to talk his audiophile
> friends into buying these clock-radios. I've gotten sick of having to
> teach the basics of ripping to flac, tagging and network setup to guys
> who should be able to figure it out themselves. I finally drew the line
> at mirroring my HDs. Between the legality and the time.....

I've taken the liberty of adjusting the subject a little.

This is an interesting idea. What do you suggest go into it?
I'm willing to add such a page to my website's SlimServer
pages.

And I'm curious about your comment about mirroring HDs and legality.
First, these seem totally independent to me, maybe even orthogonal.
Do you see them as related?

And what is the issue with legality? Every audiophile that I know has
all the CDs of their library. (Most of them have the LPs as well).
Fair use of music that you bought is well establish.

Pat


--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Aylwin
2005-08-01, 22:25
I think a guide would be a good idea. At least one good tip I learned one these forums was about fixing the level on the digital output.

An explanation for audiophiles on how the whole thing works would be nice too. This would include:
- how to rip CDs to WAV while maintaining audio integrity
- how to reduce file size using lossless compression
- how Slimserver + SB2 act as an ideal transport

As for the legality of mirroring HDs for friends, I think there may be at least 2 issues. First, if the OS is Windows based, is it legal to mirror it and give it to someone else? Second, if the HD contains audio files of your ripped CDs, is it legal to give that away to your friends who may not own those same CDs?

mwphoto
2005-08-01, 23:54
Hi,

A few weeks ago when I got my SB2 I started this Wiki Page which seems to be
a good starting point for "SlimServer Audiophiles for Dummies"

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HowtoBestAudioQuality

Perhaps it would be a good idea to develop it further? Or link it to new
pages if it's getting too long. It seems to cover the basics that you're
interesting, which would at least save you the effort of rewriting those.

If you want to edit it, add to it, or make it refer to another new page feel
free - my only real concern is to keep the advice as non-contentious as
possible, so if there is debate about an issue/configuration I'd want to
keep both sides of the argument.

Also I'm not sure the best way to publicise this doc, I guess that quite a
lot of people don't even know it exists.

Malcolm

> -----Original Message-----
> From: audiophiles-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:audiophiles-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Aylwin
> Sent: 02 August 2005 06:25
> To: audiophiles (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [SlimDevices: Audiophiles] Re: SlimServer Audiophiles for
> Dummies
>
>
>
> I think a guide would be a good idea. At least one good tip I learned
> one these forums was about fixing the level on the digital output.
>
> An explanation for audiophiles on how the whole thing works would be
> nice too. This would include:
> - how to rip CDs to WAV while maintaining audio integrity
> - how to reduce file size using lossless compression
> - how Slimserver + SB2 act as an ideal transport
>
> As for the legality of mirroring HDs for friends, I think there may be
> at least 2 issues. First, if the OS is Windows based, is it legal to
> mirror it and give it to someone else? Second, if the HD contains
> audio files of your ripped CDs, is it legal to give that away to your
> friends who may not own those same CDs?
>
>
> --
> Aylwin
>

ceejay
2005-08-02, 01:08
Hi,

A few weeks ago when I got my SB2 I started this Wiki Page which seems to be
a good starting point for "SlimServer Audiophiles for Dummies"

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HowtoBestAudioQuality



I like the idea of a "Dummy's guide to the Squeezebox" - although why it should just be aimed at audiophiles I'm not sure. Do we think that audiophiles are more likely to be dummies? ;)

In the spirit of open source, Wiki seems like the right technology to use - I'd be prepared to contribute myself (since I can't write Perl its the least I can do!).

However the current Wiki pages are very hard to use. For example, finding Mwphoto's guide is quite tricky as you have to know to start at the Squeezebox2. It feels as if there is quite a bit of info in there, but so inaccessible it might as well not be. I've been through a lot of the beginner's problems over the last few months myself, and can honestly say that although I did once or twice look hopefully in the wiki, I quickly gave up and got answers elsewhere (mostly this forum).

I think the Wiki might prosper a little more if we could put a little effort into deciding how the thing should be structured, making it easier for people to see how they can contribute.

For example, the front page - the one page the community can't change - is very basic and forbidding. You have to know which of several links to go for and aren't given any clues as to what's behind them.

Just one comment on Mwphoto's writeup ... please don't take this as a complaint, because I can see you've put a lot of effort into this ... but I think it would be better broken into separate pieces, rather than trying to cover the whole SB world in one document. And I can see that you've directed this deliberately at the Audiophile - but have covered a lot of stuff which is just as relevant to the average user who doesn't consider him/herself in that category.

So, any views from anyone? Is the Wiki the right place to go? If so what needs to be done to it to encourage participation?


Ceejay.

mwphoto
2005-08-02, 01:18
I agree with all the above :)

I know the management read these boards, and I'm sure they'd be open to some
constructive suggestions. Perhaps we could design a new front page offline
and submit it for comments?

I have to be awway from a pc for the next couple of days (work :( ). I'll
catch up with posts at the end of the week . .

Malcolm

> -----Original Message-----
> From: audiophiles-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:audiophiles-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of ceejay
> Sent: 02 August 2005 09:08
> To: audiophiles (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [SlimDevices: Audiophiles] Re: SlimServer Audiophiles for
> Dummies
>
>
>
> mwphoto Wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A few weeks ago when I got my SB2 I started this Wiki Page which seems
> > to be
> > a good starting point for "SlimServer Audiophiles for Dummies"
> >
> > http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HowtoBestAudioQuality
> >
> >
>
> I like the idea of a "Dummy's guide to the Squeezebox" - although why
> it should just be aimed at audiophiles I'm not sure. Do we think that
> audiophiles are more likely to be dummies? ;)
>
> In the spirit of open source, Wiki seems like the right technology to
> use - I'd be prepared to contribute myself (since I can't write Perl
> its the least I can do!).
>
> However the current Wiki pages are very hard to use. For example,
> finding Mwphoto's guide is quite tricky as you have to know to start at
> the Squeezebox2. It feels as if there is quite a bit of info in there,
> but so inaccessible it might as well not be. I've been through a lot
> of the beginner's problems over the last few months myself, and can
> honestly say that although I did once or twice look hopefully in the
> wiki, I quickly gave up and got answers elsewhere (mostly this forum).
>
> I think the Wiki might prosper a little more if we could put a little
> effort into deciding how the thing should be structured, making it
> easier for people to see how they can contribute.
>
> For example, the front page - the one page the community can't change -
> is very basic and forbidding. You have to know which of several links to
> go for and aren't given any clues as to what's behind them.
>
> Just one comment on Mwphoto's writeup ... please don't take this as a
> complaint, because I can see you've put a lot of effort into this ...
> but I think it would be better broken into separate pieces, rather than
> trying to cover the whole SB world in one document. And I can see that
> you've directed this deliberately at the Audiophile - but have covered
> a lot of stuff which is just as relevant to the average user who
> doesn't consider him/herself in that category.
>
> So, any views from anyone? Is the Wiki the right place to go? If so
> what needs to be done to it to encourage participation?
>
>
> Ceejay.
>
>
> --
> ceejay
>

WSLam
2005-08-02, 02:41
i actually started writing a primer for it a while back. but it became more challenging and time consuming then i thought, and i realized the primer is really MY approach in using the slimserver and sb2 in my particular setup. not really universal. but if anyone does try, i am more then happy to make some inputs too!

Vinnie R.
2005-08-02, 08:48
Hi Guys,

A "newbies" SB2 guide sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm trying to put together a page of starter info containing basics, links, etc. for audiophiles who want to learn about the SB2, what is required to set up, and all that good stuff :-)

This info need not be just for audiophiles either, but if you are making it for audiophiles, don't bother to mention MP3 or lossy compression methods ;-)

http://www.redwineaudio.com/SB2_General_Info.html

I'd be happy to link to other good sources of info. This is a big help for the newbies, and what makes the web such a great place. It will help others understand this new technology, and help Slim Devices with sales because people won't feel intimidated by the SB2 or using their computer to listen to music.

Regards,

pfarrell
2005-08-02, 10:53
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 01:08 -0700, ceejay wrote:
> mwphoto Wrote:
> I like the idea of a "Dummy's guide to the Squeezebox" - although why
> it should just be aimed at audiophiles I'm not sure. Do we think that
> audiophiles are more likely to be dummies? ;)

I personally find the "for dummies" titles at least too cute
and usually a little insulting. But the mass market has
rewarded the series with immense sales.

I think most audiophiles are much _more_ technically
oriented than the average consumer, but many are
less computer centric than average.


> In the spirit of open source, Wiki seems like the right technology to
> use - I'd be prepared to contribute myself (since I can't write Perl
> its the least I can do!).

I'm not a fan of wikis, but maybe that is because I'm old.
I prefer well written and edited text.

But anyone can write copy. And there is no reason to require
there to be "one true answer" We can do both.


> However the current Wiki pages are very hard to use.

That is one of the reason I'm not a fan.


> Just one comment on Mwphoto's writeup ... please don't take this as a
> complaint, because I can see you've put a lot of effort into this ...
> but I think it would be better broken into separate pieces, rather than
> trying to cover the whole SB world in one document. And I can see that
> you've directed this deliberately at the Audiophile - but have covered
> a lot of stuff which is just as relevant to the average user who
> doesn't consider him/herself in that category.

I think this is a key observation. To successfully use a SqueezeBox as
an audiophile component, you need to know about a lot of separate
things. Maybe not know a lot about them all, but audiophile amps,
ripping, encoding, network wiring, etc.

I think it has to be written in sections so you can pick and chose what
you want, or skim and come back.


> If so what needs to be done to it to encourage participation?

Talk about it. Write sections. The technology is not important.
Post your sections to this list. If it get too big to handle
we can ask Dean for a separate forum section.

To quote a religion popular in the early 1980s: there is no
try, only do.

So create it.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

bflatmajor
2005-08-02, 12:58
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 01:08 -0700, ceejay wrote:[color=blue]
To quote a religion popular in the early 1980s: there is no
try, only do.

So create it.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html


hmmmmm Yoda-ism?

pfarrell
2005-08-02, 14:47
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 12:58 -0700, bflatmajor wrote:

> hmmmmm Yoda-ism?

That's the religion I meant.

Now, where is some copy? I'll
start making up a template.



--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html