PDA

View Full Version : Can I play songs not in my library?

cckanne
2005-08-01, 11:51
Hi.

When I try to play some songs that are not in my --audiodir (they have been created by my voicemail app) e.g. using the CLI
(playlist insert, playlist index +1), SB2 says "Player can't open", and in the log, with d_source enabled, I get "Song is of unrecognized type flc!" (The files are flac files).

If I put a symlink in my audiodir pointing to the files, and do a rescan, I can play them. I would like to avoid having this symlink and doing a rescan, because my voicemail messages (at least most of them :-) are not really part of my audio collection....

How can I play an "external" file ad-hoc, just once?

best,
C-C

radish
2005-08-01, 13:10
Have you tried naming them with the more conventional .flac rather than .flc? Certainly with the player UI you're supposed to be able to use Browse Music Folder to find and play files not yet in the DB, so the CLI should be able to do similar tricks. I can't say I've ever tried it though.

cckanne
2005-08-01, 13:25
Have you tried naming them with the more conventional .flac rather than .flc?

They ARE called flac. Somehow slimserver detects that they are flac files, and uses the internal slimserver typecode "flc" (cf. types.conf), but then does not try to access them. I have not taken the time yet to delve deeper into the perl source, because I was sure I made a mistake - I thought that I am not the first one who wants to play arbitrary files from the server's filesystem.

C-C

BKDotCom
2005-08-01, 20:36
Have you tried naming them with the more conventional .flac rather than .flc? Certainly with the player UI you're supposed to be able to use Browse Music Folder to find and play files not yet in the DB, so the CLI should be able to do similar tricks. I can't say I've ever tried it though.
Browse Music Folder is still restricted to the Music Folder path

Steve Bernard, Jr
2005-08-02, 06:36
On 8/1/05, cckanne <cckanne.1t3mxn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> If I put a symlink in my audiodir pointing to the files, and do a
> rescan, I can play them. I would like to avoid having this symlink and
> doing a rescan, because my voicemail messages (at least most of them
> :-) are not really part of my audio collection....
>
> How can I play an "external" file ad-hoc, just once?

One thing you might want to look at is running a web server like
Apache on the computer where the voicemail files are and have the
directory where they are so you can access them with, say,
http://localhost/voicemail/msg1.flac

You could then paste the URL for the file you want into the Internet
Radio page and stream it to the SqueezeBox. I've done this on my
machine using Windows Apache and Ogg Vorbis files.

-Steve

radish
2005-08-02, 07:21
Browse Music Folder is still restricted to the Music Folder path
Well yes, but if I dump a load of files in the music path but don't do a rescan, I can still find them with Browse Music Folder. That's my point I think...

Steve Bernard, Jr
2005-08-02, 08:07
On 8/2/05, radish <radish.1t553o (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> BKDotCom Wrote:
> > Browse Music Folder is still restricted to the Music Folder path

> Well yes, but if I dump a load of files in the music path but don't do
> a rescan, I can still find them with Browse Music Folder. That's my
> point I think...

This would add those files to the music library when they are browsed
to, which I don't think the Original Poster wants. Plus they would
eventually show up when he does a rescan.

I suppose if you put the files in the music folder in a temp
directory, used Browse Music Folder to get to them, deleted them when
you were done, and had an automated overnight rescan, it might suit
you well enough.

-Steve

cckanne
2005-08-03, 15:28
Hi.

I could fix my problem by temporarily creating a DB entry for the ad-hoc files. I do not know whether this is good practice, but I did it by calling Slim::Music::Info::setTitle/setBitrate for my local file URIs from my plugin. After replaying the messages, I delete the entry. Seems to work.

C-C