PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a Squeezebox locally?

datdude
2005-07-31, 12:36
I don't know if the Squeezebox will work the way I am hoping and the only way to know is to try it out. If I don't like it then I will return it. This is difficult to do when purchasing online. I live in San Diego and no one (Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy, or Circuit City) sells it. Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that sells the Squeezebox?

Thanks

seanadams
2005-07-31, 12:52
Why not ask if someone in San Diego wants to give you a demo, instead of offering to put your local retailer through a needless expense?

max.spicer
2005-07-31, 13:37
I don't know your exact requirements, but you may find that SoftSqueeze serves to answer a lot of your questions about how the SqueezeBox will work. It will show you pretty much everything except for audio quality, network performance etc.

Max

I don't know if the Squeezebox will work the way I am hoping and the only way to know is to try it out. If I don't like it then I will return it. This is difficult to do when purchasing online. I live in San Diego and no one (Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy, or Circuit City) sells it. Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that sells the Squeezebox?

Thanks

datdude
2005-07-31, 13:57
Why not ask if someone in San Diego wants to give you a demo, instead of offering to put your local retailer through a needless expense?

Needless, well I would pay a little more to be able to buy it NOW. I think thats why alot of .com's went uder becuase local stores are still local stores and have all the advantages that come with them.

To each his own.

If anyone would like to demo it for me, I'll bring the refreshments.

edit: I was thinking of buying another well know streamer that begins with an R(available locally), Squeezebox looks much better though. Why should I assume this and go and buy it online?

Jeff52
2005-07-31, 14:27
I was thinking of buying a Roku(available locally), Squeezebox looks much better though. Why should I assume this and go and buy it online?

There is a no questions asked 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so what do you have to lose? If you don't like it, place it back in the box and ship it back.

You WILL love it though so a return will not happen.

datdude
2005-07-31, 14:36
There is a no questions asked 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so what do you have to lose? If you don't like it, place it back in the box and ship it back.

You WILL love it though so a return will not happen.

One thing I wanted to do was test out the slimserver. Even if I couldn't play anything. I am going to use use another media player to browse my library and then transfer them to the slimserver and I wanted to get an idea of how easy or difficult this would be. Can I get the slimserver interface to pull up without having the squeezebox?

pfarrell
2005-07-31, 14:44
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 14:36 -0700, datdude wrote:
> One thing I wanted to do was test out the slimserver.

So install it, its free.
And use SoftSqueeze on just about any platform in the world.
All free. No obligation.

Then buy a SBx and love it. I've bought three.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

datdude
2005-07-31, 15:11
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 14:36 -0700, datdude wrote:
> One thing I wanted to do was test out the slimserver.

So install it, its free.
And use SoftSqueeze on just about any platform in the world.
All free. No obligation.

Then buy a SBx and love it. I've bought three.

--
Pat

I got you. I thought the softsqueeze was to used in place of the slimserver. duh...

seanadams
2005-07-31, 15:12
It sounds like you need it to do something very specific - from your handle I'm guessing 48KHz, or something editing related? :)

datdude
2005-07-31, 15:31
It sounds like you need it to do something very specific - from your handle I'm guessing 48KHz, or something editing related? :)

nothing special just the reason why SB was created to have a more convenient way to play music. I am using Jriver mediacenter as my library browser and I am pretty much tied to it's interface so I just need an easy way to stream music from my laptop.

Kevin O. Lepard
2005-07-31, 15:39
>One thing I wanted to do was test out the slimserver. Even if I
>couldn't play anything. I am going to use use another media player to
>browse my library and then transfer them to the slimserver and I wanted
>to get an idea of how easy or difficult this would be. Can I get the
>slimserver interface to pull up without having the squeezebox?

Sure. And you can "try" the Squeezebox via SoftSqueeze.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

radish
2005-07-31, 16:19
Of course it would also be nice if b&m stores stocked the SB2. Why they don't I can't tell you, but I assume it's to do with margins & supply contracts. I was in best buy today and saw at least 2 people buying a certain tubular music player. So sad.

datdude
2005-07-31, 16:57
Glad I tried the softsqueeze. Looks like I can't select files from my media player and drop them into the slimserver playing now area.

radish
2005-07-31, 19:29
Glad I tried the softsqueeze. Looks like I can't select files from my media player and drop them into the slimserver playing now area.

Well, no. It's a webpage. You can however select them from within the slimserver interface itself.

datdude
2005-07-31, 21:17
Well, no. It's a webpage. You can however select them from within the slimserver interface itself.

Right, I didn't reliase the slimserver's interface was based around a web browser. Oh well, let me know when an API of some sort is made to desktop mp3 players.

pfarrell
2005-07-31, 21:27
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 21:17 -0700, datdude wrote:
> Right, I didn't reliase the slimserver's interface was based around a
> web browser. Oh well, let me know when an API of some sort is made to
> desktop mp3 players.

Browsers are where it is at. :-)

There is a command line interface that you can use from any language.
The SlimServer is written in Perl. The source code is part of the
package. Have at it.

Drag and drop is pretty hard (impossible?) to do in
a pure HTML web browser.

What's a "desktop MP3 player"?

--
Pat

datdude
2005-07-31, 21:54
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 21:17 -0700, datdude wrote:
> Right, I didn't reliase the slimserver's interface was based around a
> web browser. Oh well, let me know when an API of some sort is made to
> desktop mp3 players.

Browsers are where it is at. :-)

There is a command line interface that you can use from any language.
The SlimServer is written in Perl. The source code is part of the
package. Have at it.

Drag and drop is pretty hard (impossible?) to do in
a pure HTML web browser.

What's a "desktop MP3 player"?

--
Pat

JRiver MeidaCenter, Winamp, Itunes...

I think that more online web services being integrated into desktop apps is where its going. Eventualy other than pure html you won't know the difference between something that is served off the web vs your desktop (having no context of what the app was for).

pfarrell
2005-07-31, 22:08
On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 21:54 -0700, datdude wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
> > What's a "desktop MP3 player"?
> JRiver MeidaCenter, Winamp, Itunes...
>
> I think that more online web services being integrated into desktop
> apps is where its going. Eventualy other than pure html you won't know
> the difference between something that is served off the web vs your
> desktop (having no context of what the app was for).

OK, I would have just called them local applications.
Winamp can be a client for the SlimServer, but I guess
that is not quite what you are looking for.

It is really hard to write a local application that
is platform independent. Java, Perl, etc. come close, but
there are security issues with having complete access to
the hardware. The Mac OS-X does a good job of offering
audio services, and modern Linux distros do as well.
I'm not smart enough to see how to do it with Windows,
and given that Windows Vista is due RSN, whatever I
do now would have to be at least ported.

If you just want to run Winamp or a similar program,
why bother with SlimServer at all? Just get a big disk.

While the softsqueeze is a cool program, it is really just
a software equivalent to the SqueezeBox, which is pretty
dumb hardware.

--
Pat

kjg
2005-07-31, 23:06
Pat Farrell wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 21:17 -0700, datdude wrote:
>
>
><snip>
>
>
>Drag and drop is pretty hard (impossible?) to do in
>a pure HTML web browser.
>
>

Definitely possible, but requires reasonably sophisticated Javascript to
do it. I believe that the ExBrowse2 skin uses DnD in the playlist
window. You might check with the author of that skin and see what it
would take to generalize the DnD code to the rest of the interface.

seanadams
2005-07-31, 23:24
Definitely possible, but requires reasonably sophisticated Javascript to do it.

My Javascript knowledge is horribly dated (Netscape 3). Do you have references or examples for this?

I could imagine doing things with stuff inside the browser pane, but could you really drag something in from an outside app?

datdude
2005-07-31, 23:37
Well I have a nice new laptop and I want to be able to stream music to my stereo. Airtunes is what I am looking for except I hate iTunes. A cool piece of software called the airfoil takes digital audio from any Mac app and sends it to Airtunes: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil

If someone could do that for the squeezebox(windows)that would be killer.

seanadams
2005-07-31, 23:47
Well I have a nice new laptop and I want to be able to stream music to my stereo. Airtunes is what I am looking for except I hate iTunes. A cool piece of software called the airfoil takes digital audio from any Mac app and sends it to Airtunes: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil

If someone could do that for the squeezebox(windows)that would be killer.

How would you control what's playing from where you're listening?

datdude
2005-08-01, 17:03
How would you control what's playing from where you're listening?

Im not sure if I understand your question.

My goal is to use J. River MediaCenter to wirelessly stream music seamlessly to a great sounding piece of hardware that can output to my amp. One way I thought would be to simply browse in MC and then drop whatever songs I wanted into the slimserver playingnow area. Another way would be to use something like the airfoil to 'hijack' MC's output and send it to the Squeezebox.

Michael Amster
2005-08-01, 17:12
datdude wrote:

>seanadams Wrote:
>
>
>>How would you control what's playing from where you're listening?
>>
>>
>
>Im not sure if I understand your question.
>
>My goal is to use J. River MediaCenter to wirelessly stream music
>seamlessly to a great sounding piece of hardware that can output to my
>amp. One way I thought would be to simply browse in MC and then drop
>whatever songs I wanted into the slimserver playingnow area. Another
>way would be to use something like the airfoil to 'hijack' MC's output
>and send it to the Squeezebox.
>
>
>
>
Squeezebox does not do uPnP right now, so unless the J. River
MediaCenter speaks the Squeezebox protocol or runs SlimServer, you could
not do what you wish with the hardware.

-MA

datdude
2005-08-01, 18:36
uPnP wouldn't do it either. That would only give access to the library and not the interface. Eventually someone will realise that you can make money doing this. Apple did it first but itunes sucks and the sound out of Airtunes can't be great. Look at how small that thing is. The squeezebox looks like it has some great internals.

agross
2005-08-01, 20:55
If it wasn't for this online community and the active participation
from the developers I probably would have gone the R- way.

I ordered the SB2 online on the Friday and it arrived in Australia
2 days later (unfortunately it took an extra 3 days in Australian
customs before I could finally get my hands on it). Been very
happy with the unit and the latest 6.1 update and reduced pricing
makes it an even more compelling purchase.

Sean: Could you please update the resellers page - all three
Australian resellers listed here don't seem to carry this product
anymore - instead they are actively promoting the competition.

m1abrams
2005-08-02, 06:37
Im not sure if I understand your question.

My goal is to use J. River MediaCenter to wirelessly stream music seamlessly to a great sounding piece of hardware that can output to my amp. One way I thought would be to simply browse in MC and then drop whatever songs I wanted into the slimserver playingnow area. Another way would be to use something like the airfoil to 'hijack' MC's output and send it to the Squeezebox.

Maybe you do not understand the concept of the Squeezebox. It is a media player in its own right. It is not an add-on product. I suggest you install Slimserver, and play with Softsqueeze to get a feel for the device.

Slimserver is a VERY nice piece of software and will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I would bet most users here, do not control their Squeezebox from their computers. which is why you would get a Squeezebox so you do NOT have to control it from your computer. So for most of use we do not care what is happening on the server, just that we get our music on the device.

Also for such a small display the squeezebox does a GREAT job of making it easy to navigate and find music on even very LARGE catalogs, As long as your music is well tagged that is.

datdude
2005-08-02, 18:52
Oh I understand. I think you don't realise my situation then. Yes the squeezebox is a hardware mediaplayer but it is tied to its limited(browser) software mediaplayer. I'll let me previous posts stand as why the squeezebox 'could' be usefull in a completely different way! Apple sees this but there needs to be a better solution on windows.

m1abrams
2005-08-03, 05:24
Oh I understand. I think you don't realise my situation then. Yes the squeezebox is a hardware mediaplayer but it is tied to its limited(browser) software mediaplayer. I'll let me previous posts stand as why the squeezebox 'could' be usefull in a completely different way! Apple sees this but there needs to be a better solution on windows.

No it is not tied to the "limited browser" (which by the way a browser based interface has capabilities beyond what a dedicated client app could have). Example, any PDA that has a network becomes a rather nice Graphically remote control for your Squeezebox with only the use of a skin (no extra coding needed).

But the point is when I am using my Squeezebox and I imagine most other people here, I never even use the browser software. I occasionally use my PDA with the browser, but for the most part I do not have a need for that.

Also have you tested the "limited" browser portion of the Slimserver?

edit: need to mention, I design/write web applications as a profession and fully understand the limitations of a web app. Most of my apps are for large companies that want to rid themselves of client apps. Have yet to have one company say this app is so limited compared to the client app we had.

jmpage2
2005-08-03, 12:52

How is it that the Squeezebox is limited to a browser? Many folks drive it with the IR remote control (no computer at all needed). Another option that has been pointed out is that you can use a PDA/phone as an interface for driving it. I would say that the fact that a dedicated PC not being required for control is in fact a major selling point of devices like Squeezebox.

It sounds like what you are after is something that will simply transport the audio stream from your laptop music application of choice to your stereo. If that's what you are after then the SB is probably not for you (as it seems you are married to the interface software you use for your music collection).

The only real options would be some patch cords or a wireless X11 type device. The fidelity for any of these options (including apple airtunes) is probably quite mediocre, this is an area in which SB2 excels (deliverying very high quality audio reproduction from the host server FLAC or MP3 audio files).

You hint that a simple hardware solution for handling an audio stream from a windows PC would be "huge". If you are really convinced of that then you should work on bringing such a product to market as it seems that the demand for such a product is actually quite small (I don't even get the impression that Apple is doing so well with airtunes).

Another option you have is simply to build a small dedicated PC with a very good soundcard and a network interface. Connect it to the stereo system and then drive the PC desktop/interface of your choice remotely using something like the excellent freeware VNC.

datdude
2005-08-03, 18:45
How is it that the Squeezebox is limited to a browser? Many folks drive it with the IR remote control (no computer at all needed). Another option that has been pointed out is that you can use a PDA/phone as an interface for driving it. I would say that the fact that a dedicated PC not being required for control is in fact a major selling point of devices like Squeezebox.

It sounds like what you are after is something that will simply transport the audio stream from your laptop music application of choice to your stereo. If that's what you are after then the SB is probably not for you (as it seems you are married to the interface software you use for your music collection).

The only real options would be some patch cords or a wireless X11 type device. The fidelity for any of these options (including apple airtunes) is probably quite mediocre, this is an area in which SB2 excels (deliverying very high quality audio reproduction from the host server FLAC or MP3 audio files).

You hint that a simple hardware solution for handling an audio stream from a windows PC would be "huge". If you are really convinced of that then you should work on bringing such a product to market as it seems that the demand for such a product is actually quite small (I don't even get the impression that Apple is doing so well with airtunes).

Another option you have is simply to build a small dedicated PC with a very good soundcard and a network interface. Connect it to the stereo system and then drive the PC desktop/interface of your choice remotely using something like the excellent freeware VNC.

OK so the squuezebox was originally designed for people who don't want to use their computer directly for music. I get that. However for someone who has a laptop that is supposed to be wireless, having to plug it in to my stereo defeats the purpose of it. I could use a squeezebox for this accept that it's desktop functionality is tied to it's limited browser functions. I noted this is a previouse post on this thread that I can't drag songs from J. River media player to the slimserver. Can't be done from a browser so it is limited in that respect. If the squeezebox could allow desktop players such as winamp or J. River media center direct integration to it's hardware acting as a sound card(so too speak) to that software, then I would be in heaven and so would alot of other laptop users.

I am not trying to bag on the squeezebox. It may seem that way for people who use it here but Im just trying to say that it could extend its functionality to a whole nother set of users and potential buyers.

radish
2005-08-03, 18:48
If the squeezebox could allow desktop players such as winamp or J. River media center direct integration to it's hardware acting as a sound card(so too speak) to that software, then I would be in heaven and so would alot of other laptop users.

It does. The API is open, the source is even open. Anyone who feels like it can write a plugin for J River to control slimserver, or even some kind of virtual soundcard driver to bypass slimserver altogether (though that would be a much more significant undertaking).

datdude
2005-08-03, 18:50
It does. The API is open, the source is even open. Anyone who feels like it can write a plugin for J River to control slimserver, or even some kind of virtual soundcard driver to bypass slimserver altogether (though that would be a much more significant undertaking).

Would this be difficult becuase i am no programmer. I have not seen any other media player attempt this with te squeezebox that is, so it's probably not easy.

m1abrams
2005-08-03, 18:58
I am not sure why one would want to do this? Is J River that great? Why would you want a bulky laptop around to listen to music? I have used Winamp, and use to like it until it started falling behind it updating its software, and is currently abandoned. I use foobar for my local computer listening needs, however I would never want to use it for an interface for my SB.

Give Slimserver a try, you might be surpised at how good it is. It has a very nice DB for storing, sorting, and filtering your music.

I am a geek at heart, hell I have 10 running computers in my home. 1 HTPC, however I use the SB to listen to music over the HTPC because it is simplier, less obtrusive, better UI.

To eash his own, however I would bet money that most SB users would not have a need for such an integration.

JJZolx
2005-08-03, 19:00
It does. The API is open, the source is even open. Anyone who feels like it can write a plugin for J River to control slimserver
I can't see too many folks being interested in going that route. Running the 50+MB SlimServer only so that some other media player can send it basic playback commands makes almost no sense.

If there were some kind of lighter weight server or maybe a device driver for controlling a Squeezebox, then it might be attractive.

datdude
2005-08-03, 19:29
I am not sure why one would want to do this? Is J River that great? Why would you want a bulky laptop around to listen to music? I have used Winamp, and use to like it until it started falling behind it updating its software, and is currently abandoned. I use foobar for my local computer listening needs, however I would never want to use it for an interface for my SB.

Give Slimserver a try, you might be surpised at how good it is. It has a very nice DB for storing, sorting, and filtering your music.

I am a geek at heart, hell I have 10 running computers in my home. 1 HTPC, however I use the SB to listen to music over the HTPC because it is simplier, less obtrusive, better UI.

To eash his own, however I would bet money that most SB users would not have a need for such an integration. YOur are correct that existing SB users don't need this but peopel wanting other ways such as aportable light laptop. In my house Icould by at least 4 SB's and hwere ever I am at working on something whatever, I can bring my laptop with me and play to that squeezebox. Im sure there are many ohters that would love to do this.

And yes J. River MediaCenter is that good. It's the best desktop music player out there period. check it out, you might like it alot.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/

kdf
2005-08-03, 19:35
On 3-Aug-05, at 6:50 PM, datdude wrote:

>
> radish Wrote:
>> It does. The API is open, the source is even open. Anyone who feels
>> like
>> it can write a plugin for J River to control slimserver, or even some
>> kind of virtual soundcard driver to bypass slimserver altogether
>> (though that would be a much more significant undertaking).
>
> Would this be difficult becuase i am no programmer. I have not seen
> any other media player attempt this with te squeezebox that is, so it's
> probably not easy.
>
Try musicmagic. they use the Command Line Interface of slimserver to
send playlists to slimserver.
-kdf

datdude
2005-08-03, 19:41
On 3-Aug-05, at 6:50 PM, datdude wrote:

>
> radish Wrote:
>> It does. The API is open, the source is even open. Anyone who feels
>> like
>> it can write a plugin for J River to control slimserver, or even some
>> kind of virtual soundcard driver to bypass slimserver altogether
>> (though that would be a much more significant undertaking).
>
> Would this be difficult becuase i am no programmer. I have not seen
> any other media player attempt this with te squeezebox that is, so it's
> probably not easy.
>
Try musicmagic. they use the Command Line Interface of slimserver to
send playlists to slimserver.
-kdf

hmm not a bad idea. I own an unlimited of MMM. Would I simply use the squeezebox as the default player and then hit play. Anthing that is in the primary screen would play? Still not what I am looking for but cool none the less.

kdf
2005-08-03, 20:01
On 3-Aug-05, at 7:41 PM, datdude wrote:
>
> hmm not a bad idea. I own an unlimited of MMM. Would I simply use the
> squeezebox as the default player and then hit play. Anthing that is in
> the primary screen would play? Still not what I am looking for but
> cool none the less.
>
Musicmagic is mainly for organisation, but also allows you to play back
using several player types, slimserver being one. I think you have to
start musicmagic with --slim in the command line and then slimserver
will appear as a player in the musicmagic custom options, as well as
when you right click on the play button. It should even detect
multiple players and list them so that you can pick one. Anything you
mix into the bottom window should then be sent as a playlist to
slimserver.

in theory, jRiver could do the same thing if someone wanted to write
the plugin. The docs for the CLI are very good and are included in the
help section of slimserver, under technical information. Pass that
around the jriver forum and you will double the odds that someone will
be interested and able to spend the time.

-kdf

datdude
2005-08-03, 20:06
On 3-Aug-05, at 7:41 PM, datdude wrote:
>
> hmm not a bad idea. I own an unlimited of MMM. Would I simply use the
> squeezebox as the default player and then hit play. Anthing that is in
> the primary screen would play? Still not what I am looking for but
> cool none the less.
>
Musicmagic is mainly for organisation, but also allows you to play back
using several player types, slimserver being one. I think you have to
start musicmagic with --slim in the command line and then slimserver
will appear as a player in the musicmagic custom options, as well as
when you right click on the play button. It should even detect
multiple players and list them so that you can pick one. Anything you
mix into the bottom window should then be sent as a playlist to
slimserver.

in theory, jRiver could do the same thing if someone wanted to write
the plugin. The docs for the CLI are very good and are included in the
help section of slimserver, under technical information. Pass that
around the jriver forum and you will double the odds that someone will
be interested and able to spend the time.

-kdf

The docs are available on the dowload of slimserver or are they online here somwhere?

Thanks

kdf
2005-08-03, 20:21
On 3-Aug-05, at 8:06 PM, datdude wrote:
>>
>
> The docs are available on the dowload of slimserver or are they online
> here somwhere?
>
they are included in the download. access is via the web interface.

a copy of those docs hasn't yet made it into the wiki
(wiki.slimdevices.com) but the Plugin API and SlimProto can be found
there.

-kdf

datdude
2005-08-03, 22:23
On 3-Aug-05, at 8:06 PM, datdude wrote:
>>
>
> The docs are available on the dowload of slimserver or are they online
> here somwhere?
>
they are included in the download. access is via the web interface.

a copy of those docs hasn't yet made it into the wiki
(wiki.slimdevices.com) but the Plugin API and SlimProto can be found
there.

-kdf

cool, I will forward this onto JRiver. I know nothing will happen but hopefully they will see that there is an interest in combining these 2 tpyes of products.

m1abrams
2005-08-04, 04:56
Just cause I am trying to figure out what your goal is.

You want this type of functionality because you do not or can not have your music in a central location. Is that it?

DJMUK
2005-08-04, 11:29
Being a long time JRiver MediaCenter (and previously their MediaJukebox) user I can see where 'Datdude' is coming from. Please read this with the knowledge that I totally support Slim Devices and the SB - I could do without JRMC if I had to but would hate to lose my SB.

Until last Christmas I too used to have a portable in the lounge cabled to my (Lo) Hi-Fi and playing files stored on my server located in my study. However, on upgrading to a much better Hi-Fi system found I could not play music without interference from the computer. Luckily for me a bit of 'Googling' led me to the Squeezebox and by New Years Eve I was a happy bunny. Like bunnies these SB like to multiply and I now have 3!

I would also love to be able to just use JRMC to choose the music to play and have it sent to the SB without involving SlimServer. Whilst I am happy with SlimServer, for my simple music playing habits, it does not have the facilities Of JRMC for music selection, organisation, playlist creation, etc.

Generally I use the RC to choose albums to play but when you want to 'Pick n Mix' tracks to play or create playlist with this can be a bit tedious so I tend to go back to the UI. In this case I think JRMC wins over SlimServer. Of course you have to pay for JRMC and, I assume, one can program more facilities into a Windows applications than are available through a web browser type of interface, especially if you are paid for it!

One of the main benefits of JMRC is that it is a 'one stop shop' and can deal with ripping (it's 'secure mode' is an equal to EAC) and getting tag info. It also allows saving the ripped files to many formats, including FLAC, which I use. It is simple to convert files to other format including on the fly conversions and tranfers to many portable devices. It has excellent playlist creation features which I use to create them
and then export to SlimServer.

When I got my first SB I thought I would not need JRMC anymore but I still have to rip/tag/organise/create playlist before I get the pleasure of listening via the SB so would need some version of these type of tools in any case.

JRMC does act as a UPnP server and it would be ideal if the SB could be linked to this. In the meantime I'm still a happy bunny! Long may Slim Devices and the SB prosper.

Just my take.

David

radish
2005-08-04, 14:28
I also have a license for J River, and I like it's interface a lot (it's like iTunes on speed), but I can't say I actually use it much. One of the main reasons is that FLAC isn't supported in the core product, only via a plugin, and that plugin seems to crash the app with great frequency. I was also less than impressed with the J River "community" but that was a while ago, maybe things are friendlier now.

Anyway, to get back on point, for people who don't like the squeezebox UI and so tend to use the web interface (that would include me) an alternative PC based implementation would be no bad thing - choice is always good, right? I may even end up using it, depending on how comprehensive it was. But this isn't something SlimDevices need worry themselves with - they took the excellent step of opening stuff up, and so if a J River user wants the functionality enough, they can have it.

jarredduq
2005-08-27, 11:06
It is possible to stream audio from any application to the Squeezebox. Although I do not use JRiver Mediacenter, I wanted to stream DRM protected content from Yahoo music to my squeezebox.

This involves the combination of the following software:

1. Slimserver
2. Shoutcast Server http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml
3. Shoutcast Audio DSP Plugin for Winamp http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml#miscdownload
4. Winamp http://www.winamp.com

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but it works well. Basically I launch winamp, which launches the DSP plugin and streams the audio to the shoutcast server. I then created a playlist in slimserver that points to the IP address and port of my shoutcast server, which in my case is 192.168.11.3:8000.

Please note that all of the above software is running on the same computer. You do not need one computer for slimserver and one for shoutcast, it call all run on the same box.

The next step is to launch the audio app you want to stream and enjoy.

davros
2005-09-12, 03:01
Ok, I'm one of those "few" who has been searching for this option...and from my research it is infact a growing field of interest...esp. as more devices before networked.

I have spent ALOT of time getting my music in the format i want it in MC. And I really like the interface...so much I actually paid for the software...a rare thing these days.

The reason I am at this forum, is that I am considering paying $500AUD for a Squeezebox so that I can try and get it to act as IP speakers for my J.River Media Center.

So, perhaps the guys at SlimDevices don't want my $500, or the other two people's $500, but guys, please, at least stick to the topic and help us, the guys who do want this functionality, to work out a way to get it (perhaps via the Squeezebox) instead of bagging us for some aledged "marriage" to j.River Media Centre.

For the record, I want to use a tablet PC as my lounge PC and run MC on this (similar to those here with a laptop). Yes, I have tried to use VNC and RemotelyAnywhere and Norton PC Anywhere and they are all substandard solutions - as is FM, bluetooth->speaker etc.

I am likely to buy one of these devices from eBay soon and try and do the mods., but I would like to think I'd get some support from the community here rather than the bagging that seems to run through this thread.

Some come on guys, keep the spirit and try to help us to do what WE want to do with Squeezebox rather than argue and try and dissuade us.

One last thing...the guy who's using shoutcast...
I tried this, however the results were sub-standard.
Does this re-sample the mp3's? I tried, but am unable to have it stream when set to do no encoding (my mp3's are VBR 192 and 240 min.) What's the quality like? Is there any degredation? Also what cpu usage is there...the tablet pc is only 1.1Ghz.

Thanks and let's work to get a better solution than Apple Airport!

davros
2005-09-12, 03:04
Can a MOD please change the title of this thread to more acurately reflect the content?

Something like "J.River Media Center integration/control"

thanks

ebag4
2005-09-15, 11:28
I would also like to be able to use another application to choose music to play through SB2, in my case the application is Xlobby which is freeware and has an outstanding user interface that can be operated via a thin client interface to a PDA, pen tablet, laptop, etc.. I am currently using an M-audio audiophile USB soundcard located a floor away from the PC (16ft.).The sound is good but from what I have read the SB2 is outstanding and can be modded to give even better results. The only thing that has held me up is the user interface. I have been working with Slimserver and Softsqueeze, although I have found something usable (using "handheld" via m iPAQ)being able to use Xlobby would make it a no brainer for me. Just my 2 cents.

Ed

kdf
2005-09-15, 12:13
Quoting ebag4 <ebag4.1vexrz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I would also like to be able to use another application to choose music
> to play through SB2, in my case the application is Xlobby which is
> freeware and has an outstanding user interface that can be operated via
> a thin client interface to a PDA, pen tablet, laptop, etc.. I am
> currently using an M-audio audiophile USB soundcard located a floor
> away from the PC (16ft.).The sound is good but from what I have read
> the SB2 is outstanding and can be modded to give even better results.
> The only thing that has held me up is the user interface. I have been
> working with Slimserver and Softsqueeze, although I have found
> something usable (using "handheld" via m iPAQ)being able to use Xlobby
> would make it a no brainer for me. Just my 2 cents.

slimserver provides many options for an outside application to send commands.
You could suggest that the authors of Xlobby look into the CLI or RPC hooks for
slimserver.

-k