PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of SB2 display



kbelinski
2005-07-30, 19:20
What is the typical lifespan of the SB2 vacuum fluorescent display?

I was thinking about the screen saver. I wonder whether the purpose of the SB2 screen saver is to prevent screen burn-out or is it solely for cosmetic effect. Would there be risk of shorter display lifespan if I choose not to use a screen saver?

kdf
2005-07-30, 21:03
On 30-Jul-05, at 7:20 PM, kbelinski wrote:

>
> What is the typical lifespan of the SB2 vacuum fluorescent display?
>
> I was thinking about the screen saver. I wonder whether the purpose of
> the SB2 screen saver is to prevent screen burn-out or is it solely for
> cosmetic effect. Would there be risk of shorter display lifespan if I
> choose not to use a screen saver?
>

yes, you would. but 'shorter' doesn't seem to be a practical measure.
The current SB2 display is still the same basic technology as was used
in the original SliMP3 player, and serial number 1 of those players is
still running happily even after some time running without the fancy
screensavers that exist today. The original design was set to dim the
display after some idle time, just to extend whatever real limit might
exist. Burn-in does exist as an issue, but there is no MTBF that has
been mentioned on it. The more recent screensavers are more for fun.
the general operation of slimserver takes care of the essentials,
scrolling long lines, dimming the display so you can expect a long life
even without a screensaver.

15 years from now, who knows :) but, by then you'll have a
SqueezeBoxUltraGX900B15 which will be embedded in your thumbnail with a
UI projected via neurostimuli direct to the retina.

anyway, the point is dont worry about the fancy savers, but do consider
keeping a reasonable screensaver timeout and leaving the setting to
automatically dim the display. you may never see the end of life
before you move on, but that will help extend the display as long as it
may want to operate.

-kdf

adhawkins
2005-07-31, 03:20
Hi,

In article <fad03942d6adba172fd8ae9ecf809747 (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>,
kdf<slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> 15 years from now, who knows :) but, by then you'll have a
> SqueezeBoxUltraGX900B15 which will be embedded in your thumbnail with a
> UI projected via neurostimuli direct to the retina.

Promise? :)

Andy

kdf
2005-07-31, 06:34
Quoting Andy Hawkins <andy (AT) gently (DOT) org.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> In article <fad03942d6adba172fd8ae9ecf809747 (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>,
> kdf<slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> > 15 years from now, who knows :) but, by then you'll have a
> > SqueezeBoxUltraGX900B15 which will be embedded in your thumbnail with a
> > UI projected via neurostimuli direct to the retina.
>
> Promise? :)
>
only after you get a flying car... ;)
-kdf

adhawkins
2005-07-31, 06:55
Hi,

In article <1122816884.42ecd3742da9d (AT) callisto (DOT) deane-freeman.com>,
kdf<slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> only after you get a flying car... ;)

My car's quick, but doesn't quite fly :)

Andy

Marc Sherman
2005-07-31, 07:39
kdf wrote:
>
> 15 years from now, who knows :) but, by then you'll have a
> SqueezeBoxUltraGX900B15 which will be embedded in your thumbnail with
> a UI projected via neurostimuli direct to the retina.

And a pony.

- Marc :)

seanadams
2005-07-31, 07:43
kdf wrote:
>
> 15 years from now, who knows :) but, by then you'll have a
> SqueezeBoxUltraGX900B15 which will be embedded in your thumbnail with
> a UI projected via neurostimuli direct to the retina.

And a pony.

- Marc :)

And a boat to ride it on?

Marc Sherman
2005-07-31, 07:53
seanadams wrote:
>
> And a boat to ride it on?

Well, that goes without saying. We'll be needing the boat, what with
rising sea levels and all.

- Marc