PDA

View Full Version : FPC Cable for Display

CardinalFang
2005-07-30, 11:20
Hello,

I am planning to rehouse my Squeezebox in a new case to match my Copland gear and to do this I need to have a much longer cable between the main board and the display board. These are currently connected by a very short FPC cable, so I have some questions for some of the more experienced hardware modders on the fora.

what is the spec of this cable (pitch, number of connectors) and where can I source a longer one (in the UK if possible)? Also what is the maximum length it can be and will I need to alter the power supply arrangements to compensate for the longer cable?

thanks in advance

Paul

seanadams
2005-07-30, 11:49
It is 0.5mm pitch, 20 conductors. Digikey sells it in up to 6" lengths, part # HFF-20U-06-ND

Sorry, I don't know where to source custom lengths if you just need one.

I would guess you could go a few feet with this kind of cable - we have the clock lines shielded between ground lines, so it stays pretty clean.

BTW if you need to cut this cable, you can do it by pressing down with a razor blade to cut, and then (gently!) using the blade to scrape off the plastic from the contact area. It is not as rugged as the factory ends, because it doesn't have the extra bit of blue plastic behind it, but it works.

CardinalFang
2005-07-30, 13:27
Wow - fast reply - thanks!

I'll see if I can source longer lengths, otherwise I'll have to think of something else. I suppose I could extend the other side of the motherboard and have screened cable to case mounted RCA plugs etc if all else fails.

EDIT - I've just found that Molex do 12" (305mm) lengths of 20 way FFC 0.5mm cable, although I have no idea if I can get just one!

thanks again

Paul

Robin Bowes
2005-08-01, 02:47
CardinalFang wrote:
> Wow - fast reply - thanks!
>
> I'll see if I can source longer lengths, otherwise I'll have to think
> of something else. I suppose I could extend the other side of the
> motherboard and have screened cable to case mounted RCA plugs etc if
> all else fails.

Paul,

Is this any good:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3295035&N=401

Disclaimer: I work for Premier Farnell!

R.

CardinalFang
2005-08-01, 03:27
Paul,

Is this any good:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3295035&N=401

Disclaimer: I work for Premier Farnell!
R.

It says it's 210mm, so it might, I won't know for sure until the case arrives and I start to lay things out. It may be too short :-(

I was hoping get one that was 305mm from Molex, but can't find any online suppliers. If all else fails I shall buy this one and juggle things around internally. The case I ordered is quite deep to match the other units, which looks OK but is giving me some issues with the internal layout. Perhaps I should put the outputs on flying leads, not ideal, but it seems to be easier than sourcing long lengths of FFC cable :-(

thanks for all the help.

Paul

Fifer
2005-08-01, 05:18
What case are you using? Link?

CardinalFang
2005-08-02, 01:19
What case are you using? Link?

No, this one from an Italian manufacturer.

http://www.hifi2000.it/media/frontale1U10.jpg

It isn't actually this one, which is 1U high, but one that is 2U high so I have room for the new PSUs. It is also very deep, 370mm deep to be precise, so that it fits in aesthetically with a Copland CD player and Amplifier. There's a picture of the CD player at this site so you can see the comparison:

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/cda266.htm

It hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered it oversize to cope with upgrades to PSUs and a possible Trichord Research clock and clock PSU upgrade.

I'm hoping it will all look as though it's from the same designer when it's done.

Paul

Simon Still
2005-08-02, 02:45
On 8/2/05, CardinalFang
<CardinalFang.1t4o7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> No, this one from an Italian manufacturer.
>
> http://www.hifi2000.it/media/frontale1U10.jpg

What sort of price does it come in at and how have you specced cutouts etc?

CardinalFang
2005-08-02, 03:52
What sort of price does it come in at and how have you specced cutouts etc?

I haven't specified any cut-outs because until I get the box and work out cables I'm not sure how I will lay out the internals. I will be cutting a slot in the front panel to match the CD player for the display, that I'm sure.

The price is around 106 Euros delivered, the smaller case comes in at about 80 Euros I seem to remember. It's lighter and so the shipping is that bit less. I'll post up some photos once I receive the kit to show the quality. I bought the unit from this site and they have many others of different sizes and all high quality:

http://www.audiokit.it/ENG/Frames/Introduction1.htm

Paul

Robert Zimmerman
2005-08-03, 21:47
Hi,

I'm looking to mount take one apart and mount the display outside
cabinetry since all my other equipment is hidden behind cabinets. I
use an Intellicontrol Remote system and want to tie it all together,
yet be able to read the display from across the room.

So, looking for same info and source in the US.

Thanks,
Rob

>Hello,
>
>I am planning to rehouse my Squeezebox in a new case to match my
>Copland gear and to do this I need to have a much longer cable between
>the main board and the display board. These are currently connected by
>a very short FPC cable, so I have some questions for some of the more
>experienced hardware modders on the fora.
>
>what is the spec of this cable (pitch, number of connectors) and where
>can I source a longer one (in the UK if possible)? Also what is the
>maximum length it can be and will I need to alter the power supply
>arrangements to compensate for the longer cable?
>
>thanks in advance
>
>Paul
>
>
>--
>CardinalFang
>

d-mode
2005-08-09, 23:57
I have an 'old' SLIMP3 running under about a week old 6.2 nightly and now I
only have the bottom half of the Time Date screensaver.

Anyone else with this issue?

Andrew

(And no I have not updated to tonights nightly - the server is getting blown
away in a day or two)

dean
2005-08-10, 07:06
Update to the latest nightly, this should have been fixed.

On Aug 9, 2005, at 11:57 PM, d-mode wrote:

> I have an 'old' SLIMP3 running under about a week old 6.2 nightly
> and now I only have the bottom half of the Time Date screensaver.
>
>
> Anyone else with this issue?
>
> Andrew
>
>
> (And no I have not updated to tonights nightly - the server is
> getting blown away in a day or two)
>

appeland
2009-11-17, 06:53
Hello,

I am planning to rehouse my Squeezebox in a new case to match my Copland gear and to do this I need to have a much longer cable between the main board and the display board. These are currently connected by a very short FPC cable, so I have some questions for some of the more experienced hardware modders on the fora.

what is the spec of this cable (pitch, number of connectors) and where can I source a longer one (in the UK if possible)? Also what is the maximum length it can be and will I need to alter the power supply arrangements to compensate for the longer cable?

thanks in advance

Paul

Did you ever finsih the case (images?)