PDA

View Full Version : Mac iTunes Library Problems



mick41
2005-07-28, 08:34
I changed my iTunes library to an external drive and added many songs up to a now total of about 9000 songs. I can access and play all of my songs with iTunes. SlimServer shows all of the songs and playlists but can only open and play about 5000 songs. When I attempt to play a song on my Squeezebox from the group of songs that I apparently added after changing the location of the library, I get a message: Problem Unable to open the file for (Plus the name of the song or playlist that I am trying to play). I have tried going to web access and change the address of the new library location as well as the new Playlist location but without success. Any one have some suggestions.
Thanks
Ralph

dean
2005-07-28, 08:58
Mick,

Can you find the iTunes Music Library.xml file in your Music ->
iTunes folder and open it up with a text editor?

Look for one of the songs that's failing to open and see if the path
to that song looks correct.

-dean

On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:34 AM, mick41 wrote:

>
> I changed my iTunes library to an external drive and added many
> songs up
> to a now total of about 9000 songs. I can access and play all of my
> songs with iTunes. SlimServer shows all of the songs and playlists but
> can only open and play about 5000 songs. When I attempt to play a song
> on my Squeezebox from the group of songs that I apparently added after
> changing the location of the library, I get a message: Problem Unable
> open the file for (Plus the name of the song or playlist that I am
> trying to play). I have tried going to web access and change the
> address of the new library location as well as the new Playlist
> location but without success. Any one have some suggestions.
> Thanks
> Ralph
>
>
> --
> mick41
>

johnpaul
2005-07-28, 19:09
Does the slim server get the path for the song from the Itunes XML file
or from the path entry for the itunes music folder in the slim server
setup?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of dean
blackketter
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:58 AM
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: Re: [slim] Mac iTunes Library Problems

Mick,

Can you find the iTunes Music Library.xml file in your Music ->
iTunes folder and open it up with a text editor?

Look for one of the songs that's failing to open and see if the path
to that song looks correct.

-dean

On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:34 AM, mick41 wrote:

>
> I changed my iTunes library to an external drive and added many
> songs up
> to a now total of about 9000 songs. I can access and play all of my
> songs with iTunes. SlimServer shows all of the songs and playlists but
> can only open and play about 5000 songs. When I attempt to play a song
> on my Squeezebox from the group of songs that I apparently added after
> changing the location of the library, I get a message: Problem Unable
> open the file for (Plus the name of the song or playlist that I am
> trying to play). I have tried going to web access and change the
> address of the new library location as well as the new Playlist
> location but without success. Any one have some suggestions.
> Thanks
> Ralph
>
>
> --
> mick41
>

dean
2005-07-28, 20:19
It gets it from the iTunes Music Library.xml file. In fact, iTunes
will let you have songs in your library that aren't in your iTunes
folder, scattered across your disk.

On Jul 28, 2005, at 7:09 PM, johnpaul wrote:

> Does the slim server get the path for the song from the Itunes XML
> file
> or from the path entry for the itunes music folder in the slim server
> setup?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of dean
> blackketter
> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:58 AM
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: Re: [slim] Mac iTunes Library Problems
>
> Mick,
>
> Can you find the iTunes Music Library.xml file in your Music ->
> iTunes folder and open it up with a text editor?
>
> Look for one of the songs that's failing to open and see if the path
> to that song looks correct.
>
> -dean
>
> On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:34 AM, mick41 wrote:
>
>
>>
>> I changed my iTunes library to an external drive and added many
>> songs up
>> to a now total of about 9000 songs. I can access and play all of my
>> songs with iTunes. SlimServer shows all of the songs and playlists
>> but
>> can only open and play about 5000 songs. When I attempt to play a
>> song
>> on my Squeezebox from the group of songs that I apparently added
>> after
>> changing the location of the library, I get a message: Problem Unable
>> open the file for (Plus the name of the song or playlist that I am
>> trying to play). I have tried going to web access and change the
>> address of the new library location as well as the new Playlist
>> location but without success. Any one have some suggestions.
>> Thanks
>> Ralph
>>
>>
>> --
>> mick41
>>

nano2nd
2005-07-31, 09:11
Hi,

I had what sounds like the same problem. Have you tried a "Wipe Cache" and a rescan?

After checking paths, permissions, rescans etc this is what finally fixed it for me.

You never know...

johnpaul
2005-08-01, 18:52
"It gets it from the iTunes Music Library.xml file. In fact, iTunes
will let you have songs in your library that aren't in your iTunes
folder, scattered across your disk."

On Jul 28, 2005, at 7:09 PM, johnpaul wrote:

> Does the slim server get the path for the song from the Itunes XML
> file
> or from the path entry for the itunes music folder in the slim server
> setup?"



That explains the problems I was having, see below. When the itunes XML
file and the Itunes music folder are on another networked computer, the
server reads the song location from the Itunes XML file and not from the
folder designated as the Itunes music folder on the server. This
explains why it is looking in the wrong directory.

Anyway to correct this?

On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:00 AM, johnpaul wrote:

> The IP address didn't work. Note the server finds the music library
> and I
> can play the songs via this route. The problem appears to lie with the
> Itunes programming.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: johnpaul [mailto:johnpaul (AT) robertsroost (DOT) org]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:40 AM
> To: 'Kevin Pearsall'
> Subject: RE: [slim] more on the Itunes music folder on the slimserver
>
> In Server Settings -> iTunes, it is set to specify the paths manually,

> correct? yes
>
> Is a Music Folder set currently in Server Settings? Yes
>
> I will try the IP address.
>
> I still think that the trouble lies with the slimserver code making an
> error
> in translation of the Itunes XML file name to the file name that
> Slimserver
> uses to look for the file.
> The XML file has localhost/H:/iTunes/iTunes music folder as the path
> to the
> files
>
> Slimserver translates this in this step
>
> The Debug reports on rescan
> file://localhost/H:/iTunes/iTunes%20music%20folder/No%20Doubt/
> Hella%20Good%2
> 0(Single)/01%20Hella%20Good.mp3/ to
> file:///H:/iTunes/iTunes%20music%20folder/No%20Doubt/
> Hella%20Good%20(Single)
> /01%20Hella%20Good.mp3
>
> This is also demonstrated in the file location the slimserver reports
>
> file:///H:/iTunes/iTunes music folder/John Coltrane/My
> Favorite/Favorite
> Things.mp3
>
> The computer that has the Slimserver running doesn't have an H DRIVE,
> there
> fore it is looking in the wrong place.
>
> If it translated the file using the settings from ITunes section for
> the
> itunes music folder, it would arrive with the correct path.
>
> Seems like an easy thing to fix.
>

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of dean
blackketter
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:20 PM
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: Re: [slim] Mac iTunes Library Problems

It gets it from the iTunes Music Library.xml file. In fact, iTunes
will let you have songs in your library that aren't in your iTunes
folder, scattered across your disk.

On Jul 28, 2005, at 7:09 PM, johnpaul wrote:

> Does the slim server get the path for the song from the Itunes XML
> file
> or from the path entry for the itunes music folder in the slim server
> setup?
>
>