PDA

View Full Version : SB2 Remote control clashing

kbelinski
2005-07-28, 04:09
Just got my new SB2 today. Set it up on wireless without a hitch. Sounded great but I have yet to have time sitting down for some serious listening.

I realized my CD player accepts command from the SB2 remote control. This is quite annoying. Now I have to keep my CD player powered off whenever I use the SB2 remote. My CD player is the Rega Planet 2000. I wonder anybody has similar experience?

max.spicer
2005-07-28, 04:53
There's an answer to this in the FAQ. I think you need to go into the server settings and tell it not to listen to the JVC remote codes.

Max

Just got my new SB2 today. Set it up on wireless without a hitch. Sounded great but I have yet to have time sitting down for some serious listening.

I realized my CD player accepts command from the SB2 remote control. This is quite annoying. Now I have to keep my CD player powered off whenever I use the SB2 remote. My CD player is the Rega Planet 2000. I wonder anybody has similar experience?

inguz
2005-07-28, 04:54
with an old Planet, too (pic: http://www.cabezal.com/~dpyle/sb/Dsc00754_sm.jpg). My solution is just to switch off the CD player.. :-)

DrNic
2005-07-28, 05:38
There's an answer to this in the FAQ. I think you need to go into the server settings and tell it not to listen to the JVC remote codes.

Max

Unfortunately this won't work. It is the SB's remote that is controlling the CD player so disabling anything in the Slimserver won't stop the SB remote controlling the CD...

Excepting keeping the CD player turned off (why is it on anyway? the squeezbox is far better!! LOL)you would have to use a different (learning) remote for the Squeezebox using the JVC set (or another brand protocol if you can generate your own ir map) and disable the native SB codes in the server...

Nic

alex_london
2005-07-28, 08:08
Does the SB2 remote send both codes at the same time (slim devices & JVC)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering purchasing a 2nd SB2 for my bedroom. However, I have an IR receiver there, which sends the IR codes to my satellite box in the living room (and there's an IR sender in the living room sending the signal to the box). This way I can control what I'm watching on the TV in the bedroom.

With a 2nd SB2, the one in the living room will be receiving the codes from the IR sender, so i'd be messing it up whenever I use the remote control in the bedroom..

If the remote sends both codes, I could disable JVC on one SB2, and disable "Slim_Devices_Remote" on the other, and that would solve it!

I just want to know for sure before I go out and buy another SB2!

Thanks
Alexis

seanadams
2005-07-28, 08:31
The remote sends only our own codes (not JVC any more - that was just back when we shipped a universal remote with SLIMP3, our first product).

However, there are a few devices out there that will also respond to our codes. They are VERY rare - apart from this incident, the only other one I can remember is some professional editing VCR.

Our remote vendor tell us the codes are supposed to be unique, but there's really nothing to stop another manufacturer (past or future) from using them. It is also possible for a bug in the IR receiver to mistakenly respond to other code formats.

wr420
2005-07-28, 08:44
>
> The remote sends only our own codes (not JVC any more - that was just
> back when we shipped a universal remote with SLIMP3, our first
> product).
>
> However, there are a few devices out there that will also respond to
> our codes. They are VERY rare - apart from this incident, the only
> other one I can remember is some professional editing VCR.
>

FYI
Dell W3000 LCD TV partially responds to slim remote.

The information contained in this e-mail is strictly confidential and for the
intended use of the addressee only; it may also be legally privileged and/or
price sensitive. Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, use or copying
of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited
and may be illegal. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. All e-mail sent to this
address will be received by Acacia Pacific Holding's e-mail system and is
subjected to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.

Acacia Pacific Holdings has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that
any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We accept no
liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and
advise you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

max.spicer
2005-07-28, 11:46
Oh sorry, that will teach me to read things in a hurry!

Max

Unfortunately this won't work. It is the SB's remote that is controlling the CD player so disabling anything in the Slimserver won't stop the SB remote controlling the CD...

kefa
2005-07-28, 12:19

I found that putting my CD player on eBay solved this problem! :-)

WeedMonkey
2005-07-28, 15:41
[QUOTE=seanadams]The remote sends only our own codes (not JVC any more - that was just back when we shipped a universal remote with SLIMP3, our first product).

Sean, what does this mean for the SB2's ability to have discrete power on/power off codes? From a recent thread here, I got the impression that this feature was forthcoming.

Thanks.

kbelinski
2005-07-28, 18:32
I found that putting my CD player on eBay solved this problem! :-)

I discovered the remote control problem when I tried to do a quick ABA comparison between the Rega Planet and the SB2 (FLAC). My brief impression is that the SB2 is not far behind the Planet. The key difference is that the Planet sounded more refined overall, and potentially less fatiguing over long listening session.

I love the Planet so I will keep it for some time still. Even with this minor sonic shortcoming in comparison to the Planet, I think I'll be listening to the SB2 more now because you just can't beat the convenience of easy access to over 100GB of CDs in FLAC at the tip of your finger :-)

ceejay
2005-07-28, 23:54
However, there are a few devices out there that will also respond to our codes. They are VERY rare - apart from this incident, the only other one I can remember is some professional editing VCR.

May be less rare than you think. In my kitchen I have an SB2 hooked up to a Philips integrated stereo unit (not in the least audiophile, but not meant to be!) - however the Philips unit does occasionally respond to the SB2 remote by switching source away from the SB2, which is about as annoying as it could get!

Fortunately it doesn't do this very often, otherwise I might have to resort to a removeable sticker over the Philip's IR receiver (removeable because we use it also for radio).

This is almost certainly down to a poor IR receiver on the Philips, as it also sometimes responds to a TV remote in the same room. And there's not much Slim can do if some **** puts out some kit which responds to everything it sees!

Ceejay.

kbelinski
2005-07-29, 03:31
In my case, I do not think the Planet responds to just any code. It must be due to Planet and the SB2 sharing some code set. I have a number of other remote controllers in the same area. TVs, preamps, etc. They don't interfere with each other and with my Planet at all.

Also, the SB2 responds to command from Planet remote controller too.

JJZolx
2005-07-29, 10:45
I reported the same thing with my Rega Planet when I got my first SB, back in December:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=10316&highlight=planet+remote

It would be interesting to know if Rega really did screw up by failing to comply with some standard. Of course the Planet predated the Slim products by some five or ten years.

Aaron Zinck
2005-07-29, 14:44
> > Sean, what does this mean for the SB2's ability to have discrete power
> > on/power off codes? From a recent thread here, I got the impression
> > that this feature was forthcoming.

Once the SB2 is updated to recognize other IR signals (the sb1 and slimp3
can currently do this) then you'll have no trouble changing the ir and map
files to make virtually any 2 arbitrary ir codes act as discrete on and off.

JayNYC
2005-08-01, 16:17
My Loewe Calida 32" 480P TV responds in a very wacky fashion to SB2 remote.

bwenzlau
2005-08-02, 14:20
I had the conflict too. Short of Ebay, I solved it by using a Pronto universal controler to send JVC codes and not the SlimDevice codes which the Zenith DVD/VCR responded to. I noted the discussion on an earlier post. I don't know if the the SB2 resolved this issue, as this occurred on an SB.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=5613&highlight=zenith

Daryle Tilroe
2005-08-02, 16:22
kbelinski wrote:

> Just got my new SB2 today. Set it up on wireless without a hitch.
> Sounded great but I have yet to have time sitting down for some serious
> listening.
>
> I realized my CD player accepts command from the SB2 remote control.
> This is quite annoying. Now I have to keep my CD player powered off
> whenever I use the SB2 remote. My CD player is the Rega Planet 2000. I
> wonder anybody has similar experience?

Well... if the JVC codes still worked on the SB2 you could use a universal
remote and send them instead; too bad that feature got broken and still
isn't fixed :-(. My pet peeve:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1478

--
Daryle A. Tilroe

Dave Edwards
2005-08-03, 13:45
Daryle,

I couldn't agree more - the lack of JVC codes is causing big problems when controlling my home entertainment system.

No discrete power commands means that I now have to press numerous buttons on my Pronto to turn all my devices on / off. The default.map workaround only works when the server is active.

Previously, one press of the global on / global off button would do the trick. I would really like to see this fixed quickly, as I didn't expect a step backwards in this area when I bought my otherwise excellent SB2.

Dave

Daryle Tilroe
2005-08-03, 14:09
Dave Edwards wrote:

> Daryle,
>
> I couldn't agree more - the lack of JVC codes is causing big problems
> when controlling my home entertainment system.
> ...
> trick. I would really like to see this fixed quickly, as I didn't expect
> a step backwards in this area when I bought my otherwise excellent SB2.

My feelings exactly. Having a working feature broken, particularly one
that I used all the time, is very frustrating. Want to split the costs
on kidnapping Sean and forcing him to fix it? ;-)

--
Daryle A. Tilroe